It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pearl Jam - Backspacer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hey all,

I got Pearl Jam's latest album, 'Backspacer' today, having a good old listen now....

What do you guys think of it ???

On first listening it seems a little flat, maybe a little generic! Now, I'm a hardcore Pearl Jam fan, have been for years and years, but I dunno, something about this album doesn't do it for me!

It really isn't anywhere near 'Ten', and seems like a real step backwards from their self titled album of 2007....

Hmmmm, but don't let me create opinions, have a listen yourself! What you you reckon ATS?

Peace to every one of you!

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No Pearl Jam fans here??

Laaaaame.... Do I have a redundant thread already?

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
TEN is one of my favorite albums. I've seen PJ a half dozen or so times in concert, but it seems every album since I like less and less.

They played the whole new album on a radio station near me the other day. I found it completely dull and mediocre popish.

The songs off the first album were great and had an awesome energy. Now it's just like folk-pop. From anthem rock to adult-pop-folkish.

Maybe that's a good thing, because if they tried to get back to their original style and it sounded bad, they'd just be faking it. It's who they are now, and I accept it. Not trying to knock anyone who still likes their stuff, but it's just not for me anymore.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by purehughness

Listening to it on grooveshark right now. I'll report back with my opinion on it.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
'Kay, listening through again after a good night's sleep sometimes works..

I'm warming to a couple of tracks.. But there's still things missing.

And Diabolus, you're so right about Ten, and the changes hence, it just seems they're branching into a new direction away from the original and best grungy roots, but aren't really sure of the direction to take.. So it sounds like a bit of a mashup..

Hmmm. Still, seeing them play a couple of years ago was definitely a changing point in my life... Man it was amaazing..!

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Wow Karlhungis must be listening to it over and over and over....

There's always a little something that makes my eye twitch a little in a few of the new tracks... Still not sure what it could be though...

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I was a dedicated PJ fan for over a decade.

Walked/hitchhiked/backpacked to concerts....lived the music 100% 24/7...up until the self titled cd with the avacado.

Honestly - it just sounds like hastily thought up and composed nonsense I wouldn't drop a dime on these days.

Ed - sorry buddy, but you've begun to ramble in no particular direction.

That, and the music just seems so....sloppy.

*sigh*

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Most of my favorite bands are busted up due to deaths. Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Morphine, etc. *cry

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

I know exactly what you mean... It does just seem sloppy...

I just don't get it really....

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
You want to know what I think about the new Pearl Jam CD?

It sucks.

They haven't put out a good CD since Binaural. Actually I take that back, their 2006 release was pretty good by their recent standards.

Yield was the beginning of the end of their relevance and it's been all downhill ever since. Personally, I think they've got their heads too far up their own asses about being political and preachy. So much so that they concentrate more on their message than their music. And so the music suffers. I'm afraid that their self rightousness just doesn't allow them to objectively consider whether or not the music they're putting out is any good. I don't know what they were going for on their Backspacer CD; but they missed the mark badly. I really want to like their new music; but they make it hard to do so.

Originally posted by reasonable
Most of my favorite bands are busted up due to deaths. Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Morphine, etc. *cry

Cheer up,
Alice In Chains is back!

They've got a new CD coming out next week. What's that you say?...But Layne Staley is dead, how can.....? They got a new singer. He's no Layne; but he's not bad. They've still got that Alice In Chains sound. I listened to all of their new CD yesterday. It's pretty good. Fans will like it.

posted on Mar, 8 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
In my opinion a nice record that grows with every listen, but my least favorite. 'No Code', 'Vs' and 'Binaural' are still my most beloved Pearl Jam Records.

top topics

join