It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sun Is In A Deep Solar Minimum...And It's Getting Worse!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
As some of you may know our sun has been experiencing a deep solar minimum for about the last two years or so. Last year, 2008, 73% of the days were without sunspots. This year as of now, we're at 81%. And we are currently in a 'spotless' streak of 17 days and counting.
What does this mean, you say? It means we're getting less heat from the sun than usual and it's not as bright. So for all of you who have been thinking the sun didn't look quite right lately...you're right.
Here's a good website to get you started. Also visit SOHO.

[edit on 9/19/2009 by MissSmartypants]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well aren't you a miss smarty pants.

No but seriously. Does that mean I can look directly at the sun without my sunglasses now?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Sunspot Plotter

As you can see, its a natural cycle.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I thought sun spots were actually cooler than surrounding areas?

So given that there are no sun spots, wouldn’t this suggest that the sun is hotter?

If the sun was getting hotter, it would make a lot more sense in regard to climate change here on earth.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by xEphon

Of course not. Use binoculars...it's far away. Duh.
Excellant example of sarcasm and not a one line post.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WorldObserver

Yes you're right about sunspots being cooler and I don't remember the mechanics of it but fewer sunspots equals cooler temperatures. I'll look it up though.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
The sun's brightness has dimmed by 0.02% in visible wavelengths and 6% in extreme ultraviolet wavelengths meaning the earth's upper atmosphere is not being heated up as much.
www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Actually, most of the posts about the Sun not looking right seem to be saying it's brighter and hotter than people remember it being. I kind of doubt that a reduction of .02% in visible light would be noticeable by humans though.

But there is no question that the Sun has been very quiet. It is a deep minimum. Interesting, but other than that, is there a problem? Why is it "worse"?

BTW, there's a nice sunspot on the way. It'll be coming around to our side of the Sun in a couple of days. You know what's going to happen then don't you? People will be looking at the Magnetosphere Simulation and freaking out...again. Just can't win for losin'.

In preparation, here's some light reading material:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9/19/2009 by Phage]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
scotty, i need more sunspots!!....that's all the sunspots i can get from her, capt...she has no more to give!! mr. chekoff, drop out of sunspot warp immediately...ohurha...contact the federation of the sun at once, and tell them I NEED MY SUNSPOTS NOW!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well hello Phage! And welcome to my thread. Yes you're right, I visit SOHO regularily as well as spaceweather.com. But I have found that by sensationallizing topics they get noticed. Made you look...didn't I?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

So when do we get the mega spot or a mega flare? I want to live long enough to see a flare large enough to see it from earth with the naked eye... just long enough

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
The question right now is wether this is just a temporary lowering of the Suns surface activity, or a significant trend leading to a Maunder/Dalton Minimum.
Even with this current trend we saw Stratospheric Atmospheric Warming last February/March in the UK which saw Easterlies from Siberia freeze up Lakes/Rivers and even the Sea off the Southern Coast.

If this trend continues the Stratospheric Warming events could be catastrophic in terms of a Global Climate shift, we was lucky this year with the SSTs only temporarily cooling before Spring. the real fear is wether the trend this winter will remain sustained throughout the entire season and not just 3 weeks.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Yes I take this quite seriously which is why I continue to monitor it. Personally I'm not cut out for another Maunder Minimum. I like to be warm.
It's definiltely one of those things we're powerless to change.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ROBL240

Double post.
Oops.

[edit on 9/19/2009 by MissSmartypants]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by exile1981

Well it's still projected for the 2012 timeframe. Michio Kaku has been warning against this. Whether they will be mega flares or not remains to be seen.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This may be bit off topic, but i thought to mention it here. The strange behavior of Sun is not only one incident; rather it is a part of many strange ones, which have been taking place for last 10 years or longer. I just came across one article, which talks and discusses the "New 2012" theory. This theory says that our solar system is not from "Milky Way Galaxy", rather a small parent galaxy, which appears to have broken free and be moving independently, back up, to the center of gravity of the Milky Ways whirlpool arms and disc; and by 2012 it would be merged by Milky Way Galaxy. As per this theory; we would become part of Milky Way Galaxy. The Milky Way is not actually our parent galaxy. This now explains the mystery of why we have viewed it as being sideways in the night sky. There has been discussion on this and it is very interesting, and unfolds many mysteries of our solar system and galactic family.

cosmogenesis21122012.blogspot.com...

blogs.discovermagazine.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

I wouldn't worry too much about it (but then, I live in a warm place).

The Maunder Minimum was not the only thing going on during the Little Ice Age. In fact, it has been shown that volcanic emissions are a better explanation for it than sunspot numbers.

Forcing with volcanic dust produces the best simulation, whereas expressing the solar constant as a function of the envelope of the sunspot number gives very poor results.

www.sciencemag.org...

They found two distinct bursts of ice cap growth, one starting about A.D. 1280 and the other about A.D. 1450. Both of those dates coincide with increases in stratospheric aerosols tied to major volcanic eruptions in the tropics.

www.rockymountainnews.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Oh Phage do you really have nothing better to do rather than always being right? So there was increased volcanic activity during the "little ice age"? What volcanoes were those exactly?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
The question right now is wether this is just a temporary lowering of the Suns surface activity, or a significant trend leading to a Maunder/Dalton Minimum.

I found this at NASA the other day and it might hint at a trend developing where the sunspots are declining in numbers over time.

Link

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
WIKI about the Little ice age. I would quote, but I'd rather you just find the info yourself.

WIKIPEDIA - LITTLE ICE AGE

There is also sunspot info contained in a neat little line graph.......

I'd have figured by now that you would have just learned to take Phage at his word.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by DaMod]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join