It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death gets second chance after lethal injection botched

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Maybe the US should consider formally joining those civilised nations who have scrapped the death penalty.

I appreciate that there are quite a few people on this Board who would like nothing better than to see this criminal tortured and fed to the pigs, but I cannot help thinking that this type of behaviour is inappropriate in civilised society. Why not go the whole hog and cut hands off people for stealing, or pander to the religeous nasties (all the world over, mind) and do away with homosexuals, like they do in some of those fine exemplars of civilisation (Iran and Saudi Arabia to name but two).

Even those on this Board screaming for blood would probably draw the line at cutting off someone's nose for farting in public - but what's the difference? It's all brutality dished out in the name of the law.

These crimes are bad, but the answer is not the death penalty.

Regards

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Keeping him locked up in a cell for 23 hours a day, alone with his thoughts is enough punishment in my opinion.

[edit on 19/9/2009 by Kryties]

Alone with his thoughts. If he gets to read one good book that flicks any kind of happy emotion in him he has gotten better then what he deserved. I LOVE the death penalty. I also however realize the problems with the way we get someone there. To me the process that people go through often times is not enough to find the innocent truly innocent and I do believe many innocent people have been put to death. I am unfamiliar with the evidence in this man's case so I can't make an informed decision on how I feel about him. But, if there is without a reasonable doubt that this man did this, then he needs to be raped then violently murdered. If you kill someone, especially in such a horrible way, I have no use for you to be here anymore. I do know exocution costs more, I'm fine with that. Im also aware that its not an effective detterent which is also fine with me. It a you killed someone so your going to get killed right back, it has nothing to do with setting an example. But, like I said, our due process is lacking in being able to rightfully enforce the death penalty. I'd rather have a hundred guilty men go free then have one innocent man on death row.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

You might change your tune if it was your daughter that was raped and murdered.

This man chose to take the life of an innocent little girl in a brutal and disgusting manner. In my opinion, his life is now forfeit.

I feel no sympathy for this man.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kommunist
reply to post by Kryties

You might change your tune if it was your daughter that was raped and murdered.

This man chose to take the life of an innocent little girl in a brutal and disgusting manner. In my opinion, his life is now forfeit.

I feel no sympathy for this man.

Yes, because then he would be emotionally involved. Isn't that the same reason doctors are not meant to treat relatives...emotional attatchment destroys reasoned judgement.

The ONLY thing gained from killing this man is to satisfy blood lust. Justice is not done, people are not deterred, it isn't cheaper......bloodlust pure and simple. And if you wish to kill for bloodlust, then why shouldn't you fall into your own system and be executed too?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by RenDMC

I would like to see people who murder others, have their own lives taken. The EXACT same way they did it to the victim.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Mahatma Gandhi

Kill child rapists and murderers in the sickest fashion you can find. Let them feel the pain that the innocent victims felt
- Me 2009

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by RenDMC

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by RenDMC

I would like to see people who murder others, have their own lives taken. The EXACT same way they did it to the victim.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Mahatma Gandhi

Kill child rapists and murderers in the sickest fashion you can find. Let them feel the pain that the innocent victims felt
- Me 2009

I suppose it's true what they say - the whole world is DEAD.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko
Isn't life in jail punishment enough?

No, it isn't. You aren't the victim, you aren't the victims parents, friends, or relatives. You aren't the convicted offender. You aren't related to the convicted offender. Point blank, it's none of your business.

You have no connection to the case, and therefore have no right to say what is or isn't enough.

When the rapist murderer kills your family member, THEN you can tell the judge and jury what punishment you think is appropriate. THEN you can fight for his right to stay in jail forever. When he kills somebody that matters to you, that's when you can say when enough is enough.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

... He was eventually freed in 1907 after serving nearly 23 years in prison

In my opinion, that right there is the ultimate injustice. He should have been dead, and instead, eventually went free. Far as I am concerned, that little quote right there is exactly why he shouldn't get any sentence short of death, now. Not in 6 months, 6 years, 25 years, he should get it now.

And a High caliber weapon would be very humane. One to the back of the head and he wouldn't even know it happened.

I am far from emotional on this one. The guy committed a gross crime which warrants his life be taken. He does not deserve the oxygen he continues to breathes. His victim doesn't get to take another breath, and neither should he.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
How about we just send him and all his ilk over to your country since you've got it worked out so well.

That's logical.

Now this is something I can get behind.

Hopefully one day we will find another planet that has sustainable life, and we can just send them all there and let them fend for themselves.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
How is this case any different, apart from the method? Don't tell me it is more humane, because judging by the majority of comments on this thread none of you want to show any humanity.

Because we do it to the rapist, not the raped. Big difference in my book.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
You can never fight violence with violence...

You can not justify evil by using it against those you believe are evil...

I understand that separating dangerous people from the general population is necessary but the death penalty is revenge.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by StevenDye

And if you wish to kill for bloodlust, then why shouldn't you fall into your own system and be executed too?

I did not rape and murder a 14 year old girl.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jezus
You can never fight violence with violence...

You can not justify evil by using it against those you believe are evil...

I understand that separating dangerous people from the general population is necessary but the death penalty is revenge.

It's got nothing to do with evil or morality. We made a mutual pact. We would not break the laws we put in place. If you don't want to live by those laws leave. Break those laws, suffer the consequences. If you steal something, you deserve to sit in jail. If you defraud, you deserve jail. If you rape and kill, you deserve to die.

Not because you are evil, or because we want revenge, or because it will make anyone feel better, but because this is the society we agreed to be a part of and respect.

Jail does not remove you from society. It removes you from the public, but it does not remove you from society. Society may not see you, or be threatened by you from murder or rape, but you still negatively impact society. By being in our country, you are part of our society. But if you violate the law to an extent where you no longer deserve to be a part of society, you need to be removed, completely.

Thieves don't need to be removed from society, just punished. Same goes for most criminals. Certain people, like rapists, murderers, need to be removed completely.

You broke the capital rules of our society, you don't belong here anymore. Not in our jails, not in our streets, not in our wallets. If you want to take our criminals and house them with your money, by all means, go for it, so long as they never return to OUR society.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Quite personally I am for the death penalty. People need to know that there are going to be consequences to there actions. With having those who do the most heinous crimes get the most sever punishment. Plus why should we have the burden on the tax payer to keep these people alive who are never going to get out of prison. They should get their appeals and all avenues should be explored to prove their innocence But in the end, they need to be dealt with.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
It's got nothing to do with evil or morality. We made a mutual pact. We would not break the laws we put in place. If you don't want to live by those laws leave.

Not because you are evil, or because we want revenge, or because it will make anyone feel better, but because this is the society we agreed to be a part of and respect.

How can you make the claim this isn't about revenge?

Let's be honest here...this is the exact opposite of a mutual pact...

No one ever agreed if they did crazy # people could kill them...this is just the situation we find ourselves in being born into a governed society.

you still negatively impact society.

In jail? How?

Inmates actually fuel an industry...

If you want to take our criminals and house them with your money, by all means, go for it, so long as they never return to OUR society.

The death penalty is more expensive for the state than life in prison...

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Jezus]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Krytes is entitled to be against death penalty.

He comes from a country where the last man hanged has been proven innocent.

Do you understand how huge that is? The system killed innocent people.

Its a sore point for alot of Australians that an innocent man died, so until the system is full proof, we dont want to risk killing somone else.

Alot of our past had quite a few incorrect capital punishments, mostly because of abuse of police and state powers. So we took that power away, so people cant be tried and hung as pawns.

The OP isnt condoning the vileness of the criminal. In fact he sounds like he wants to see him suffer a lifetime. A life time as long and painful as the victims family are suffering wthout her. As do I, I personally dont mind my tax dollars going towards that, in fact they can have more if they wish to make a nastier cell for him.

Capital punishment is NOT a deterrant. You still get as many crimes with it.
So punish. Not bansih.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Just some rebuttles to some things said in different posts..

Lots of comments about how to execute, that a bullet or said guillotine would be more human etc.

One big reason its done the way it is now is to make the executioners feel less responsible for solely taking a life.

Also, at this moment it is believed to be the most 'humane' by putting them to sleep first then stopping their vitals.

Like I stated before I do not believe our justice system to be as infallible as to be able to push down death sentances. But, in the case when its glaringly obvious that said person did this, let them wait a year in prison because they need to fear it a little and then kill them. But, I do remember watching live coverage of the Tookie Williams execution where outside the prison Judge mathis and other people were being interviewed about how they shouldn't kill him because of all the good hes done and still can do. I didn't feel compassion for him at all.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Didn't get a chance to read all the replys here but here's my take. The more pain the better for this piece of waste, why should these animals get a pieceful send off. Bet that little girl he raped an murdered didn't get a painless passing.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Psychopaths never change, and if they do change, they do it for themselves only if it gives them an advantage over a situation that's otherwise unfavourable for him.

This guy needs it.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Whine Flu]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Psychopaths never change, and if they do change, they do it for themselves it gives them an advantage over a situation that's otherwise unfavourable for him.

This guy needs it.

True, they always have their bible with them and have always found God before they go. I've been pondering this topic all night which has led me to some weird thinking. No matter who you are you have probably indirectly led to the death of another human. Whether or not you stopped your car at a red light and sat there a second too long after turning green which somehow mystically aligned them with a semi driving towards them from hundreds of miles away. Maybe if your at a drive- thru and you took a certain amount of time to order that made it possible for a vehicle behind you to be right on schedule to accidentally hit someone crossing the road....

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join