It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of vehicle should I choose for a bug out vehicle?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by 21cdb
A miata.

Seriously, if you don't bug out BEFORE, you'd better just sit at home. Because you and about 200 million other people are going to be hitting the roads at the same time.

can anyone point here on whats gonna happen ?

and with the links to those 200 million number ?

ahh

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:18 AM
link   
ahh, orite, shift ? no you need a boat then, for sure

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   
My avatar speaks for itself regarding a bug out vehicle. My Drag Bike folds up and can be carried on my back. Perhaps you might want to consider the Escape Car that my friend uses.

www.adventure-gear.com...

Actually, my trusty new Subaru Outback with a full compliment of rooftop accessories will see my family through any potential bug out. I learned about the power and reliability of Subarus when I lived in the mountains of Central VA. Practically everyone who lived on the mountain drove one. They can't be beat in the snow.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
DEAR FRIEND... I SUGGEST THAT YOUR VEHICLE IS GOOD FOR A ONEWAY TRIP ONLY. A PICKUP 4WD , MAYBE A 1980 CHEVY OR FORD, IS PREFERABLE, MOST BANG FOR THE BUCK. THE KEY IS TO HAVE A DESTINATION ALREADY SET UP... BEYOND THAT, COUNT ON LIVING LIKE GRAND DADDY DID... HORSE AND FOOT.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Ok people time to get realistic

If you need to bug-out because SHTF think logically

Where are you going to get fuel.

Stop thinking about vehicles, All vehicles make noise and the only way you are going to get anywhere is stealth

You were born with the best vehicle you can have,,, Your FEET.

Quit thinking industrial age(laziness) and think pre-industrial

What do you really need to survive? A knife,some clothes to keep you warm, if you are lucky enough to have one a gun and two days of emergency rations.All will fit in a backpack that you carry,anything more will only slow you down and get you caught.

Sorry to burst anyones bubble

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
all this depends on the location your planing on buging to. If its heavily wooded or somewhere that dosent have alot of room to manuver around in you might go short like a rover or older montero. The montero also comes in a diesel and it can be converted to bio. If you are an urban and just trying to break out something with good mpg + 4wheel drive like a ford escape or jeep liberty. now
here is where all this gets turned up side down. Whats in tow? If its just 2 a backpack and thats it a motor cycle will do but if your like me wife and 4 haul space is a must so mine is a 78 suburban becouse parts from a lot of model GM
trucks vans and suvs will fit so parts are not a problem and you dont need a degree from MIT to work on one eather and it has 454,3/4 ton running gear and drive train 5 in lift 35" super swamper and 50 gal gas tank with a 20 gal back up
and its camo yes a rednecks wet dream "tear"

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
hi there OP,

i would say the best by far is the landrover, esp Defender or mk1 and mk2 discovery.

very solid and they can go ANYWHERE !!!!!

(ps.... how about a horse ????, doesnt require fuel other than natural grass etc.)

snoopyuk

[edit on 19-9-2009 by snoopyuk]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

You and your family should have good quality mountain bikes. Preferably steel frames. You can straighten a steel frame into usability. Aluminum frames "dink" when you try to straighten them. Carbon frames turn to junk when broken. Carry what you need in a pack and or in baskets. Distribute the weight. [Don't put it all on the front or on the back] Children carry something even if it is just their sleeping bag.

Wear a helmet. Carry a spare or two for the group. Ride your bike every day. When you can do 10 miles in one day you will be ready. You will be able to do 20 miles in an emergency. More if you are in better shape.

All of the fancy Bug Out Vehicles are going to be in a large parking lot. Some idiot is going to crash or run out of gas way way a. of you. You will be going somewhere at an imaculate standstill. When the power goes out ypu will not be able to pump gas. If you have gas [he he ha ha] you are going to be a target for someone with a fire arm that wants "your" gas.

I am going to be that old guy that passes you while you are stuck in "traffic". Have a nice day! Do not try to take my bike. It is protected by Jesus and Bill Ruger.

2nd line ... Long time LURKER who was homeless on my TREK mountain bike for 70 months ... [2 months less than 6 years]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

You and your family should have good quality mountain bikes. Preferably steel frames. You can straighten a steel frame into usability. Aluminum frames "dink" when you try to straighten them. Carbon frames turn to junk when broken. Carry what you need in a pack and or in baskets. Distribute the weight. [Don't put it all on the front or on the back] Children carry something even if it is just their sleeping bag.

Wear a helmet. Carry a spare or two for the group. Ride your bike every day. When you can do 10 miles in one day you will be ready. You will be able to do 20 miles in an emergency. More if you are in better shape.

All of the fancy Bug Out Vehicles are going to be in a large parking lot. Some idiot is going to crash or run out of gas way way a. of you. You will be going somewhere at an imaculate standstill. When the power goes out ypu will not be able to pump gas. If you have gas [he he ha ha] you are going to be a target for someone with a fire arm that wants "your" gas.

I am going to be that old guy that passes you while you are stuck in "traffic". Have a nice day! Do not try to take my bike. It is protected by Jesus and Bill Ruger.

2nd line ... Long time LURKER who was homeless on my TREK mountain bike for 70 months ... [2 months less than 6 years]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
My bug out vehicle is a 4x4 91 K5 Blazer, last year they were made, fuel injected, gets around 17 mpg's, 6" lift with 35" tires, winch, with only 2 of us plenty of room for extra's like gas, food. Once most of the gas is gone or no road able to travel(including dirt back roads), will switch to ATV's. After that good ol' "pat &ben"

Remember my quote" Life begins where the road ends"

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by digitus impudicus

Sorry about the double post ... I'm at the Clear Lake City-County Freeman Branch Library ... terminal FM28 ... This machine is a Dell piece of junk ... you do not get a whole lot on the "lowest bid" ... this beast has a twitchy keyboard ... I'll use another computer next time ...

2nd line ... only in AmeriKa

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
hey there,

I like the idea of a ford f150 4x4. Tough, inconspicuous, and most importantly, the cheapest and most available parts, for if and when it breaks down.
In my opinion one should avoid exotic models including jeep. Blend and flow with a common and easily repaired vehicle. Ford seems to be the tougher and sensible choice. You definitely want the rear truck box for carrying large loads of whatever you'll need.
Put a cap on the back and tint out the windows and you can have a place to sleep and store things in a secure way.

cheers

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well, Here is food for thought.

One of the most "plausible" scenerios and the most feared is a Natural or Man-made EMP burst.

Game Over....

A 1970's Jeep or Blazer would be the best bet... something WITHOUT electronic ignition and probably a manual transmission for easy "push starting".

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. You have given me somethings to think about. I will look forward to hearing from others while I start checking out the some of the suggestions.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
Well, Here is food for thought.

One of the most "plausible" scenerios and the most feared is a Natural or Man-made EMP burst.

Game Over....

A 1970's Jeep or Blazer would be the best bet... something WITHOUT electronic ignition and probably a manual transmission for easy "push starting".

Just a thought.

YES!!!!I agree 110%. Maybe that is one reason the government has been waiting to get older cars and trucks off the road for years. Not sure about that but it does fit what is going on these days. I say for a bug out vehicle stay away from electronic ignition if at all possible

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
They're all useless without gas.

If you're looking to increase your survival chances in situation X, spend your money on things that don't depend on gas.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The proper mode of transportation to have when you flee aimlessly with thousands of other panic stricken people is humorous.

Every major recent movie about cosmic impacts, alien invasions and other various end of the world scenarios have bug out scenes.

Some were so funny.

What if the SHTF happens while you are sleeping? When you wake up it is all over and you are screwed and you wasted all the time preparing.

When it happens it will happen VERY quickly.

Did that ever cross your mind?

[edit on 19-9-2009 by calcoastseeker]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
You would need a reliable, simple, cheap and easy to fix vehicle. You will need storage space for food, fuel, weapons and family.

I would seriously consider a diesel cargo van, an older mercedes wagon because they are insanely reliable or maybe a 80-88 toyota 4x4.

I would avoid land rovers if you are in the US. Parts are hard to find and are expensive

[edit on 19-9-2009 by drock905]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Here's some helpful guidelines to help you choose what sort of vehicle you should get:

1.) The vehicle should be a common make. Scrounging for compatible parts should something need replacing, can become an impossible task if you have an exotic vehicle.

2.) The more finesses the vehicle has, the more things could go wrong. Keep it simple, go for an older (but common) truck/jeep. The less stuff to break, the better off you and your vehicle will be.

3.) Get an older vehicle. Not only are they a lot simpler to repair, and have much less finesses that could go wrong, they also (more then likely depending on age) don't run on a computer chip that can get fried due to EMP's and other electro warfare.

4.) Look around online for reviews of a potential vehicle. Google is a great resource, and you'd be surprised how many user reviews are out there for old(er) cars/trucks/jeeps etc.

Hope that helps.

Peace,
FK

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
My "bugout vehicle"is a 97 f-150 4x4. MT tires, some KC lights and rancho suspension.

When the EMP goes off, I will be walking just like you.

Seriously though, any serious bugout vehicle is EMP proof, ie carb, and points ignition.

If TSHTF for real, there is a good risk of foreign invasion, and they will certainly turn out the lights before they invade. Electronic ignitions, and electronic fuel injection are highly vulnerable to EMP.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join