It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of vehicle should I choose for a bug out vehicle?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I'm thinking about getting another vehicle to use in case we have to leave in a hurry. I'm trying to decide which would be better. A jeep (6 or 8 cylinder) or a 4WD pickup. Either way, I intend to purchase a trailer, and load my generator and other "heavy equipment" on it.
I like the idea of a jeep. I had one several years ago, and I liked the manuverabilty in tight spaces, but it rode rough as hell, and didn't have a lot of storage room. It was also a soft top, and the better half has told me that option is out! Actually makes since in a survival situation.
Part of me says a 4WD pickup makes more sense, because of increased cargo ability in the bed, but I get the feeling it would also make us more of a target.
What is the opinion of the ATS crowd on this?
Let me make it clear, I ain't buyin' a new vehicle. I'm going to look for a good deaL on something used, preferably no older than 2005 and 50 K or less mileage.
I hope this will help me and other ATS'ers who might be in the same quandry.
If you like the thread and think it will help others, then please star and flag.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Personally I want a jeep Cherokee but I am stuck with a van.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kettlebellysmith

Buy a king cab ford.

Lots of cargo room, pulls a trailer and are tough as hell.

You get a jeep and have to haul butt without being able to hook your trailer up you might be in trouble.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
A miata.

Seriously, if you don't bug out BEFORE, you'd better just sit at home. Because you and about 200 million other people are going to be hitting the roads at the same time.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
If you are serious about a bug out vehicle there are several things that come into play that you need to take into consideration:

Size, power, and ability to service it cheaply and practically.

I think one of the best bug out/expedition vehicles would be a lifted older GMC suburban. You can lift these tihngs, put on some tires, fix them cheaply, tow trailers and other things with them. They are like a full size truck but with the roof. You gotta have a V8 and a that type of power is going to guzzle gas. A suburban has ample room for auxillary gas tanks etc. Lots of mods you can do to them. A short wheel base vehicle like a jeep is worthless. Plus their reliability isn't all that great. What are you going to tow with a jeep? They are cramped etc.

I personally have a 2008 FJ Cruiser lifted with 35 inch tires. I've got a the tow package and a nice roof rack. It would get me safely and efficiently up to OR. where I would go if SHTF. But if I had a choice for a second bug out vehicle I'd go with an older suburban, solid front axle with 33s or 35's, V8 and tons of mods to make it more fuel efficient.

The older V8 and soid axle Toyota land cruisers are good expedition vehicles as well. Not the real old ones but like the late 90's models.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Take a look at some of these pictures of exped vehicles.

forums.mwerks.com...

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

Thanks! I hadn't considered the GMC Surbaban. I'm not to mechanically inclined, but I know someone who could add the auxillary tanks. The trailer I would be pulling would be loaded. It would just be a matter of backing up to it. When the time comes, I'm headed for some hills, either in Arkansas or Missouri, and I want to be able to pack the necessities.
I'll try the Surban or a Land Cruiser. I can't put a lot of money into the initial purchase price. Trying to avoid debt as much as I can.
Would be interested in what others think!

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
For around 10k, you should be able to put together one of the most capable off-road setups: an early Toyota 4Runner, 84-89, with the fuel injected 4 cylinder engine. Included in that price you should be able to rebuild the engine and transmission as well as do many of the modifications I'll list below to suit the purpose. I'd expect about 2-3K for a decent running vehicle, about 1500 to refresh the engine, another 2000 to service the transmission and clutch, which would leave you about 4000 for other stuff.

Just so you know, if there's only 2 of you to transport, you'll have about 6-7 linear feet behind the front seats to carry gear and such, 4-5 people would require leaving the rear seat up and result in about 5' to the tailgate. All this in a fully enclosed cabin (which the rear 2/3rds of the top is removable should the need arise- nice feature imo).

Modifications you might want to make could include:
... a roof-rack or fold-over camping setup (tent folds out and gives you space to sleep without unloading the rear)
... limited slip differentials front and rear
... some sort of lift to permit larger than stock tires that can be "run-flat" if necessary as well as higher rated rear springs, coil or air bag assists, or air shocks to increase the rear load capacity
... receiver mounted winch and receivers front & back so you can mount the winch front or in the rear as necessary or sufficiently long straps and snatch blocks to allow you to use a front mounted winch to pull to the rear
... at least 2 Jerry cans for fuel- that would be enough fuel to go about 250 miles on the truck's 17 tank and another 100-150 miles on the jerry cans, and at least 2, 5 gallon cans for potable water: could be mounted on a rear receiver rack or custom bumper so they're outside of the cabin
... the list goes on ....

If that sounds interesting, look up some of the forums about those vehicles. And for the record I have an 88 4Runner and if I can keep 3 wheels on the ground, it's nearly unstoppable.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
land rover defender any day, they are the best 4x4xfar

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

The 4 cyl 22RE engines found in the older Toyota (the years you mentioned) is one of the most reliable engines around. I had an 86 extra cab Toyota 4x4 with the 22RE 4 cycl. I also had an 88 4Runner with the 3.0 V6 which is notorious for blowing head gaskets. I would never recommend the Toyota 3.0 L V6. It's gutless and has no power. They use them all the way up till what 1995 or 96 when they redesigned the 4Runner I think.

But the 4 cycl. does not have much power. Especially if you put a lot of mods on a truck. I'd much rather have a 4.0L V6 or better yet a V8.

Defender 90's are great vehicles but very pricey and hard to find. I bet parts are very expensive. Also they are VERY small. Like a jeep. I wouldn't have a short wheel base bug out vehicle personally.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
When deciding on a bug-out vehicle fuel takes precedence on utility.

Buy a bio-diesel vehicle. Or, if you have the money, buy a Wrangler and drop a bio diesel engine in it.

It all depends on what end of the world scenario we are working with though... Honestly in most of them the best bug out vehicle is probably a Honda Rebel heh

[edit on 19-9-2009 by silver tongue devil]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Zosynspiracy

what you want is a 130 defender, and the parts are very cheap, i have a 110, the land rover will go where others just cant, i used to have a very old 109 safari and the suspension outrigger snapped off (it was very old and rusty), but it didnt stop the old girl and made no difference at all, they are awsome.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
reply to post by abecedarian

The 4 cyl 22RE engines found in the older Toyota (the years you mentioned) is one of the most reliable engines around. I had an 86 extra cab Toyota 4x4 with the 22RE 4 cycl. I also had an 88 4Runner with the 3.0 V6 which is notorious for blowing head gaskets. I would never recommend the Toyota 3.0 L V6. It's gutless and has no power. They use them all the way up till what 1995 or 96 when they redesigned the 4Runner I think.

But the 4 cycl. does not have much power. Especially if you put a lot of mods on a truck. I'd much rather have a 4.0L V6 or better yet a V8.
...>snip

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by silver tongue devil

wranglers are a joke in the 4x4 world, the camel trophy started for jeep, they just couldn't handel it, then land rover owned it outright, the only vehicles that could take the abuse, buy a 110 or a 130 defender and then get to work, put portal axles on it from a unimog, you can even get catepillar tracks for it, they have driven across the bearing sea, only car to do this, and they have been driven up one of the worlds highest mountains, the possibilities are endless, start shopping, you will not be disapointed

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
What am I "bugging out" about? If it's zombies, SRT-10 Ram. If it's anything else, Land Rover.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
i have a land rover 109 safari with a 200tdi engine. with a veg oil conversion, cant think of anything better. spares are cheap, easy to maintain ,30-40 mpg.can go pretty much anywhere towing just about anything.
it can seat 12. or carry loads of kit. you can get roof tents, winches ,onboard engine driven generators ,long range fuel tanks, water storage tanks, showers,
etc, voted best vehicle ever made . by top gear. and it sits nice and tall when your driving so you can see what people are doing in their front rooms when you drive past. lol.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
get a moped. their perfect for rough terrain and have storage room under the seat. you can attach a red wagon to the back and put your kids in it.

or

you can get a tank. and run over all the cars and trucks in front of you that are blocking your way out of the city.

cuz you ain;t gonna be able to get out unless you leave 2 weeks before lockdown. use your brain and try to guess it right.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
You will need trail bikes.With trail bikes you can get though traffic jams.Out run police cars and really go bush or on the beach.A helecopter would be better if you can afford to have a helecopter in your back yard.A fast boat would get you out of town quick too.Try and get copies of your neigubours cars keys.If your car won;t start you can take theres.Have your car hidden in the garage painted like a police car.People will let a police car though a traffic jam evertime.You can do the same with a fake ambelance.Have some military police uniforms handy.You can discuse your hunvee as a army military police vehical.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:53 AM
link   
If you really feel you need a vehicle to 'bug out' in because some major SHTF is coming then it may be time to think outside the square. Getting out of the US is the best chance for survival. My research in this led me to Australasia (not Australia but the general pacific region). I'm good to go and ready for just about anything but for the most part I'll only be a spectator. I mean ok the SHTF then what? You hop in your Jeep and go where? If you can even get anywhere. You'll have a few gas cans but your bank account will be empty after the crash, the gas stations will be looted hours after the crash. So.. likely scenario, you drive for 10hrs with all your stuff... run out of gas... get bludgeoned for your stuff and left to die. Get out of the country while you still can if you are truly concerned.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
So when SHTF you want to depend on an American car?

Go with a Jap car like a used Tundra or something. Just put a camper shell if you're worried about being exposed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join