It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copenhagen Interpretation vs Many Worlds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
As of now, I accept Copenhagen and wave function collapse by the observer.

There's a couple questions about many worlds that don't add up.

1. If there's no collapse how do we know this? How can we detect the wave aspect of reality if we are in a constant state of decoherence? The double slit experiment shows us that a particle acts like a wave when it's not being measured. If we are in a constant state of decoherence or a constant state of collapse, how can we detect the wave aspect of reality? When I'm mowing the lawn, there has to be a universe where I hit a rock, one where I run out of gas and ....... I truly think many worlds is just a way to get around consciousnes as a fundamental property of reality. Like David Deutsch said, he likes Parallel universes because it reduces the role of the observer and you couldn't define or measure an observer and it was too mystical. I think other universes exists but they are in a state of potential until consciousness makes a measurement. This means consciousness has to be the foundation of reality.

2. Decoherence doesn't say anything about choice. There's no evidence that decoherence is connected to choice. So just because I type this message in one universe does not mean I type a different message in a parallel universe. There's no evidence that decoherence extends to the choice of an observer. There's also not any evidence that every possible universe has to exist. All you can say with certainty at this point is that all possible states have the potential to exist. These states exist in an undifferentiated state until a measurement occurs.

I think Parallel universes and the multiverse is a big fluke. It's pushed by atheist and materialist because they know without it their left with a conscious universe.

Deutsch is an atheist and he and others know if there's not a universe for every choice that can be made, that opens the door to the observer which is too mystical to them but never seen parallel universes is acceptable.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by Matrix Rising]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I think we could combine the two ideas into a better theory.

A conscious multiverse.

Seems like a winner to me

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix Rising

The Copenhagen Interpretation doesn't need a concious observer. Just transference of information.

I'm also unsure why you think aetheists favor the Many Worlds interpretation either.

Many Worlds just expands the 'quantumness' to make the Universe a set of all possible Universes.

Both theories are strange. Hopefully there is an underlying order to all this.

[edit on 19/9/2009 by LightFantastic]

new topics

join