It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It bugs me that people think that people are stupid because of water.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I think it's stupid when conspiracy theories blame the media and chemical water for the dumbing down of America.

I think that sometimes conspiracy theorists- I mean the more paranoid ones- not the rational ones- struggle to just understand that people really are that apathetic. It's not some mind-boggling conspiracy to dumb everyone down. The government is clearly at fault for keeping the methods of teaching material in schools the same. That's their fault. It's not a matter of media or water dumbing us down. It's that people are becoming more and more apathetic to studying and learning new material and that we don't want to admit it yet.

Apathy is the real problem. This TIME article really explains the problem. I think this topic is appropriate given the fact that ATSers are in school now and why people aren't more interested in learning in school.

During the semester, Glanz divided her time among competitive, college-oriented students, average students and turned-off, unmotivated youngsters in an intensive study program. She watched half her fellow students cheat on tests and even found herself panicking when her homework was not done. As it turned out, she was one of the few who did worry. "Even the bright kids manipulated the system and didn't do any more work than they actually had to," she said. "Most of them want to go to good colleges, but they don't seem to really want to learn more than is required." She found that many students came to class unprepared, ready only to absorb the teacher's monologue.

Glanz discovered one reason for the "incredible passivity" among students: many simply save little energy for schooling. Nearly half hold after-school jobs even though they generally come from upper-income homes. "Some are saving for college," she said, and besides, "it costs a lot to be a kid these days." To many of the students, she said, high school and college are archaic prerequisites for gainful employment. What really counts, they think, is contacts and good luck. Moreover, she observed, "not studying is a way of asserting oneself. There is a slave mentality of committing small sabotages to subvert the system."

www.time.com...

I don't think it's a radical conspiracy here. I think that people are naturally becoming more lazier. These elitists are taking advantage of the masses here because the elites know that the masses are lazy and uneducated.

Hasn't it ever ocurred to these people that spew this kind of stuff that perhaps it's just a tendency of people- nowadays- to not use the faculties of their mind for learning because they don't want to? It's because they've been in school for so long so that learning seems more like a chore than it does seem for fun.

We need a radically new view of education. I don't think that these theories about why people are becoming more stupid are helping. I think that we need to take what works, and, fix/can what doesn't work.

I think there is a deliberate dumbing down of America but it is not done by any one policy maker... it is done through a collective effort of the people in the school systems to not get people more interested in learning, and, it's done by people who are totally apathetic to learning new things.

That's my conclusion on that subject. I think that these conspiracy theorists that say these things need to really come to get a grip on a few things... and understand that perhaps not all is lost- that we can solve this problem- and get America back to a country that exceeds in all areas of education be it math, sciences, foreign languages, or physics, etc.

The reason we lead in education during the 60s, 70s, and the 80s was because we were in the Cold War. We were pushed to do better because we had the constant fear of the Soviets dropping a nuclear bomb on us. We wanted to defeat the Soviets here, and, since then, our motivation to succeed has been dropping. We need to get that motivations. Human beings have unlimited potential. People aren't stupid. They just need to work more and put more effort into things to get optimal results.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
yeah. im dumb because of media, vaccines, drugs. it all started at birth with my dumb brainwashed mom and dad. they were 35 years into their heavy indoctrination and had the first influences on me besides the brain damaging vaccines given to me at birth. you can't have a smart pop. , so its important to give them brain damage at birth.

some babies get just the right amount of brain damage while others get severe neurological problems like autism. oops. they made a useless one but thats ok. eugenics is working its majic. that baby must of had a specific gene order that had to be destroyed.

but i am now 30 and know how i am being controlled and who is doing it.

birth certificate bond.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Actually i'd agree to a point that the water is making people dumber. I figured it with my own indipendent, amature study. (yes, MOCk me for not having a government grant for this) I had obsevered kids of the same grade (grade 3) for the year, and had noticed that they had been getting stupider and stupider, and that worries me. If children are the future, then what's the future going to be like if they keep getting dumber? *shudders at the thought*

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Actually humans have always been really really dumb.

It is only recently that we humans have begun to gain reasonable amounts of information and are slowly beginning to wake up to our world.

So your right. The water does not make people dumb. At worst, the chemicals in it may make you ill or sloth like.

But we people have been dumb all along, I do not blame the water, I blame society and genetics

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I have never believed it was a conspiracy.

In fact I don't think most things are an actual "conspiracy"

Perhaps "conspiracy of events" would be a better way to put it...

There is Lethargy as you put it, there is also lack of desire to learn and in general less intelligence.

I can place blame for a decline in Motivation, Energy and Intelligence in a very reasonable place... Fast Food, the alteration of the American diet, Trans fat, increase of terrible oils in cooking etc...

If the stuff over a life time clogs your Heart Arteries, it surely clogs the small capillaries in your brain worse...

Was it a conspiracy?

No... not directly, so your premise is correct...

The govt doesn't come along and say "hey lets dumb then down by promoting crappy food"

It just happens, corruption, corporate funded studies designed to paint a picture, people choosing a lazy option over preparing food...

But your correct, it's NOT a "conspiracy" in the classical sense

Many things,

Water, yeah, Chemicals and medicines in water supply... Big Pharma and the nature of health care, that will affect motivation and energy and thought, pollution, pesticides, nervous system damage... heck over use of farm lands without proper nutrient restoration... Schools being used less for learning and more for agendas.... TV, the Internet

Lots of "stuff" dumbing us down... making us lazy and stupid

and sure, not a "conspiracy" but it is real

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I agree, it's ridiculous.

Blaming the water supply for people being so dim, rather than looking for the real short comings of our respective educational bodies, is something a dim, lazy person would do after doing terrible in school and needing a scapegoat.

Education always needs improvement, and unlike moaning about imagined tampering with the water supply, you can make a personal difference if you set out to do it.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I have not come to a conclusion about dumbing down and water,
but there sure is proof that water we drink, bathe in, cook with and process all of our processed foods, drugs, toothpaste,shampoo, cleaning prodcts, etc... etc... etc... is not too healthy for us, or the wildlife.

Take a look at this thread for a good example:
MEN: You are being chemically castrated.

If water is responsible for this, what makes anyone think it is not going to affect all other factors of physical and mental development in all living things on the planet,

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Why would these theories have to be exclusive?

Can't all of that be true, and there still be something very, very bad in the water?

Nobody ever said "You know, we'd all be brilliant if it weren't for those damned neurotoxins in our water!"

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
isn't it great that peoples opinions aren't fact and they don't really matter?

people aren't interested in school because it teaches NOTHING beneficial. The reason why so many people don't want to learn is because school makes them so bored and unchallenged. they are so dulled by the fact of what they are taught learning is to be that they don't ever want to learn things for themselves on their own ever again in their lives. There is no self expression in school. There is no thinking for ones self in schools. There is only copy and paste in schools. School makes people dumb and programmed to a certain extent to follow specific societal norms.

"Never let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

[edit on 18-9-2009 by jvm222]

[edit on 18-9-2009 by jvm222]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
I personally drink about four liters of unfiltered tap water every day. I also understand that it takes much more than a view point of a situation to fully understand a person.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

The water? It's still not good. Does it dumb people down? Dunno. Is it unhealthy? Definitely.

Does the media dumb people down? Dunno. Does it distract them? Definitely.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I do think that is silly to blame the water.

I believe intelligence lies more in practice than in nature.

When I was young, in high school. I didn't do well in anything. Teachers always so "Oh well you're so smart" which is probably something they are taught to say because they say it to everyone when they get the chance. I was not smart. I did not think ahead. I thought about playing Final Fantasy 11 at that age, and that was my main focus in life. Nothing much else.

Then later, I got bored. So I started playing World of Warcraft. (Noticing a trend here?) But then at certain points. I got bored of that. So i started reading. I started writing. I learned to enjoy history text books even, I read two front to back in my sophomore and junior years. Then in my senior year of high school, I picked up where I had left off with math and started learning that.

Well I'm still terrible with math.

But I noticed something. The more I used my mind, the more I was able to think critically. That's about the time I started to connect the dots of the world around me. That is when I started to indulge in conspiracy theories.

If I ever have children, I am going to make sure they read and do math every day. I think most ideas of "natural intelligence" are a sham. Unless you're a natural prodigy it takes work to do well at anything.

Maybe everyone is dumber due to all the distractions in life that once did not exist.

top topics

join