It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot Water Sprinklers against Pirates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
An off-shore company from Rotterdam/Schiedam found a possible "solution" for pirates. Sprinkler cables attached to the ship which splash hot water/steam[up to 80 degrees Celsius/176 degree fahrenheit]..It must be a vessel with a strong engine, to pump the seawater up and heat it along the way, and then spit it out.The higher they climb the ship the hotter the water gets. ANother option says the company Huisman is to blend teargas in the water.Question remains if that is ethical acceptable..
Sounds good!

www.nuvideo.nl...

[edit on 18-9-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I think the question of ethics should go right out the window when you are talking about pirates invading your vessel. Have a harpoon gun? Let it fly.

I fail to see how this is going to stop them though, as most ships surrender and allow themselves to be boarded due to the pirates threatening to sink them with RPG rounds if they do not. Seems like hot water wouldn't exactly be a deterrent to a few pounds of high explosive against the hull...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

That's really stupid. If someone tries to:

• Take Your Ship
  • Threaten Your Life
  • Disrespect You and All Civilization

Then maybe its time to just shoot them in the face.

You can wash them down with a steam hose after.

With such pinkhearted ideas, its no wonder pirates are attacking Western ships.

Just Shoot Them.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.
I think the question of ethics should go right out the window when you are talking about pirates invading your vessel. Have a harpoon gun? Let it fly.

I fail to see how this is going to stop them though, as most ships surrender and allow themselves to be boarded due to the pirates threatening to sink them with RPG rounds if they do not. Seems like hot water wouldn't exactly be a deterrent to a few pounds of high explosive against the hull...

And how do they threaten the crew to sink the ship? with a radio?megaphone? I think they usually board the ship and then negotiate..I think such a system with teargas would work perfect.And with so many ship in the Gulf of Aden they would just take another ship without the steamy welcome.I like it its a typical Dutch approach[pumping water] but where are the days were we would throw boiling oil and pitch down the castles
damn i am born in the wrong century...But yes the best idea was the still the Russian Luxury "hunt safari" yachts..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-9-2009 by Foppezao]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

Actually, you got it right. They generally wave some very large, very explosive RPG's around so that they can be seen and then either get on the Radio or Megaphone to let them know that if they do not co-operate with being borded they are going to punch a hole in the side of the ship.

It's very effective.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
If they made their boats correctly, their Captain quarters, and crew quarters would double as Ocean proof panic rooms, and their cargo unable to be released unless you have the proper codes that need to be entered from inside one of said panic rooms mixed with the Sound wave deterrent device. Your talking to local police while they are jumping off the boat to stop their ears from bleeding, if they were even able to get off their boat, let alone pull a trigger with both hands over their ears.

Or Use the expanding foam bomb, and a grappling hook, and tow em to the police, take a few turns into storms 1st.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by 10001011]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I am afraid that they posts expaining that the pirates essentilly threaten to hit the ship with RPGs if the crew doesn't heave to, have it right. The problem isn't so much that you can't repel them from climbing the side of the ship but keeping them from punching a hole in the side of an oil tanker (or freighter). Unfortunately what is really needed is some sort of missile system that allows the crew to hit these small boats at ranges in excess of the RPGs that the pirates carry. I am not saying that it would be a good idea to have every ship in the sea running around with missiles or even with a heavily armed crew, but I see no other practical way of keeping pirates off one's boat.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
A .50 BMG is a little more of a deterrent than hot water. I would like to know when the nations that are being attacked are going to deal with this threat seriously. Grab a boat full of these "people" and hang them from the local port with the words "pirate" around their necks and you will see how quickly this BS will end. A very old solution that works.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.E.M.

Well come now, we can't just throw ethics out the window, we all are still but human. Just because they choose a different path from what we consider is right shouldn't make it alright to essentially do the same thing but for 'good'. Do you know what I mean? I'm not saying don't do anything about it but be civil about it, don't need an endless cycle of violence here.

But I have to agree with you on the fact I don't see how hot water will stop them or tear gas...I mean it'll stop that one crew but sure won't discourage others. It's like riots, they use fire houses, tazers, ect. and people still stop them knowing what will happen. People still kill even though they know they can get the death penalty. There is no real way to deter people from doing this. Best thing they can really do is stop it when it happens and inform people of areas where it's more common and things such as that. I don't really see there being a good way to stop most, the penalties stop some from doing it but others just don't care.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
You wanna stop pirates?? Three words, Active denial systems.

lol yeaaaa lets just squirt water at them.. that'll do it...

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This is one of the best ideas to date, and I don't think it even breaches too many codes if any? Since crews are not allowed to be armed.

I was thinking though, why not sent Blackwater to protect these ships? Or just general security companies?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
yeah it sounds good in theory. A thing about practice is that these pirates normally attack at nigt and remain undetected hooking onto the back of the ship. most crews dont even know they are there before theyhave the guns shoved in thier faces.

posted on Oct, 7 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
one answer is - bring back the q ships

unlike thier WW1 / WW2 predecesors - thier armnent would be very light - heck you wouldnt even need a dedicated q-ship fleet

7.62mm 6 barrel mini guns and GPMGs would handle close in threats / boarders

12.7mm HMG and 20mm light canon - would put paid top any threats from 200 to 4000m

thats beyond the reach of most pirate weapons

and if you REALLY insist on having the ability to cripple pirate mothersips - TOW missiles

all the above are ` stand alone ` capable weapons - needind no structural mods to the vessel and can be relocated by hand iff required

backed up by sopisticated electronic sensors - any pirate vessel attempting to bard could be detected and engaged

top topics

join