It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What laundry detergent for the BOB?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I've seen all sorts of great suggestions for everything!

From cleverly made toothpicks to light weight portable shelters...

How are we washing/cleaning all these items when the smell becomes too pungent to bear?

Is there a DIY laundry solution or ... ???

Any suggestions? Inspirations?

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

yup
make soap. just google how to

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
If you have a bugout location, baking soda is a good thing to have on hand for many things. You can make soap. In any event, do not take any scented soaps or washing powders/liquids, likewise scented deodorants. Your artificial scent WILL carry, and a much longer distance than you think. No scent is the best, and baking soda will help with that.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Agreed, no scent.... or jut go BO and keep the bugs away.

Try Calben pure soap......

www.calbenpuresoap.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
After seeing the threads on making soap versus buying gobs of Ivory or similar ... I'll opt for buying rather than MAKING bar soap. We have a case of Ivory in assorted sizes.

Baking soda sounds like a great idea!

Since I have two women, wife and daughter... I won't go into TMI.

I can google but I'm interested in the ATS survival people.

(BO to keep bugs away... I'm a mosquito and spider magnet; Extreme BO would make me a target but keep all others safe.)

Any other inspirations to solve perspiration are welcome...

Anyone?

ALSO: How are people planning on washing items ... what to do if water is at a premium? How are people improvising? Old style washboard?

[edit on 9·18·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Don't pack cotton, especially cotton T shirts in your BOB if you want to control your temperature. Leave them at home, go with a silk/poly blend base layer and add or remove layers from there. I like zippered fleece as my second layer followed by a water proof shell. In fact my favorite all around jacket is a thick fleece zipper jacket with armpit zips.

Figuring out how not to sweat in a cold environment is a constant challenge to anyone that is out there. Especially those of us that don't do it on a daily basis and when we do, we look like we've been dunked in a pool. Seriously, I can't emphasize enough how important it is not to wear cotton in a cold environment when your moving.

Hypothermia will make you useless you your family and maybe a liability.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by The Undertaker]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Salt crystal deodorant. One about 1in by 4in should last one person at least one year. Eliminates BO. Personal story--no bath/shower for 21 days in desert in winter.

Fels-Naptha bar for laundry. Although for awhile now, on extended boondocking stays, I hang clothes on chairs or bushes to do "air" (no water) laundry, in sunshine for hours, or wind. When water is limited, only use it on crotch. There are some "anti-bacterial" clothing; we have long underwear.

As long as I can do this everyday, I feel comfortable: put on clean underwear, brush teeth, use crystal deodorant, comb hair. As far as hair, going awhile without washing...takes some getting used to, no dreadlocks, but definitely comb daily.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I highly suggest borax. It can be used for everything.

You can use it to wash everything from clothes to dishes to hair and body.

sprinkle it around your shelter to keep the bugs out.

use as a flame retardant. Don't want your fire burning out of control while you are a sleep? worried about forest fires? Mix it with water and spray on onto your tent or shelter or sprinkle around your fire.

make your own deodorant by by adding just enough water to make a paste.

worried about smoke from your fire giving away your location? soak your wood in water and add a cup of borax, let dry completely before burning.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I'll definitely be testing out these ideas soon.

The Borax sounds very common sense/reasonable as well... hadn't even considered.

*I think* a small tight sealing bottle of peroxide per person might be good as well. It has many uses including killing bacteria and brushing teeth/mouth wash.

Certainly didn't think of ditching the cotton. I love cotton... but your point is well taken. Thanks!

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
You can pressure clean clothes with just boiling water in something sealed tight enough. Ive seen travelers in the UK do it.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
You can use this stufff...

www.drbronner.com...

For just about everything... I never travel without it...

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I much prefer powdered materials. Easier to carry, and more multi use.
Borax and baking soda are the best and can be used for so many things.
Multi functionality is an absolutely necessary characteristic in any type of gear or supply that I would ever choose.

*~

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I've been using this for cloth diapers for a while and it's really simple.

1c flake or bar soap (felsnaptha is easily found at grocery stores, but any bar will do)
1/2c borax
1/2c washing or baking soda

If you use bar soap you need to grate it; or let shavings soak until they dissolve. To mix ahead grate soap as small as you can get them if in bar form. Mix soap flakes/grating with borax and washing soda. Use 1/4-1/2c in a large load, one or 2tbsp in a small load or front loading machine. Rinses really easy. Can also be used as a general purpose cleaner for things like counters, floors, tub, toilet, etc. Putting vinegar in the rinse helps cloths feel soft and helps eliminate odors. If you need to wash by hand, you can just scrub the cloths with the bar soap, put a tbsp of the washing soda/borax mix in the wash water.
In a pinch you don't need the soap, but your cloths won't get as clean as western society is accustomed to. I don't think it will be a major concern in a sitx.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Gotta go double ditto on Fels Naptha and Borax. Both products can literally be used for dozens of tasks around home and camp. My Grandma used to use Fels and a washboard to get the soles of our white socks clean when we were kids.

Any products that have been in constant use for so long have to be good.

I have also used this stuff www.rei.com...
on many backpacking trips to maintain that uplifting fresh feeling on long trips.

I have also heard that vodka can be sprayed on clothes to freshen things up a bit. Another upside, you can get drunk when your SHTF situation gets to bad to cope.

No matter what you use, a little cleanliness is a great morale booster once in a while.

top topics

join