It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple of questions about building a PC

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
when I plugged them. Get the keyboard and mouse hooked up no problem, but then go to plug in the monitor and it doesn't fit... Anywhere.

If your video card only has DVI outputs it Should have come with a DVI-to- VGA adapter, similar to the one shown below...

[edit: to add]
If this is the video card you ended up going with then the adapter is included with it.
www.newegg.com...

[edit on 29-9-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Boy am I glad you posted! I opened the box from the opposite end of where the adapter was and didn't even think to look and make sure I'd gotten everything out of it. Where's an embarrassed smiley when you need one?

I found it and got it hooked up and started up the power and the screen didn't turn on. The power light says it's in stand-by mode. (Yellow instead of Green) Have to do some powershooting in a bit once the youngest is down for a nap. Hopefully it's something simple and I just missed plugging something in somewhere along the way.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I going to respond here later today because of the U2U.

Nice that you found the adapter to your graphic-card

I think one problem with the "DMI update" that you had problems with COULD be that you have too many things plugged in for the first boot!

So there could be a corrupt code somewhere between all hardware stuff?!

See that you don't have any USB stuff connected beside the keyboard if it has USB?

Everything else beside these 3 things - the keyboard and the mouse + monitor screen - disconnect.

Don't have any: reader, printer, or other things connected when you're trying to boot - for now!

1.Connect only 1 IDE Discdrive (the master drive) check all cables to & from your motherboard to see if they are well connected?

2.Disconnect and connect again the HDD - check cables, both ends!

I will come back later Jenna!

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I decided to check the simplest cause first and went and bought a USB keyboard and sure enough that was the problem. I'm loading up the OS as I type this.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
I decided to check the simplest cause first and went and bought a USB keyboard and sure enough that was the problem. I'm loading up the OS as I type this.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Ahh Cool! that's great news Jenna! - one headache less!

Yepp! It's always easier to begin with the simple stuff in the equation!

Now you can play Fallout on your new PC and hunt some super-mutants!

And I'm curious to know, how's the case? - good and ok quality, or pure crap?

BTW! How's that Graphic-card you bought? - I'm planning to buy one for my HTPC in the living room - is it quiet? - please report after some intense gaming!

Cheers!

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Sep, 30 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

I fully intend to test the heck out of it as soon as I get everything updated and loaded and I'll give you a full report. So far it's running fairly quiet, but I imagine it should since all it's doing is installing the OS.

Edit: The case is huge! It says it's a mid-tower but I've got a heck of a lot more room in this one than my old Dell mid-tower. Seems pretty sturdy as well. Of course if you get rough with the back section it'll bend, but as long as you aren't yanking on it it stands up pretty well.

I'll take some pics and post them up in a bit. Much easier to just show you how much room is in it than for me to try and describe it.

[edit on 30-9-2009 by Jenna]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join