It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Tosses an Ally Overboard --and We Get Zip

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Obama Tosses an Ally Overboard --and We Get Zip

www.foxnews.com

Remember Polish jokes? They're politically incorrect these days, so no one makes them. No one, that is, except President Obama. By cancelling the promised missile shield, he in effect cut Poland loose and threw her to the Russians...70 years to the day after of their brutal invasion of the country. Nice timing.

The missile shield was designed to protect Eastern Europe from the growing Iranian missile threat, which threatens to soon go nuclear. It would have put American military personnel in Russia’s backyard, in countries that were until recently part of the Russian empire, and which Ru
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Barack Obama surrenders to Russia on Missile Defence

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This shows conclusively how ignorant Obama is to international affairs! What is this man thinking?

If the balance of power in that area is upset this will push Western Europe back to cold war status. No protection from Russian attack.

Polland was an ally of the US and the West. Obama just blew it off!

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Stop it!! Jeez!

Why does everyone thing Russia is on the verge of going to war with Europe or The West.

Obama doesn't HAVE TO go Tic for Tac with them. Why should he?

America cannot afford, it seems, to equip these countries with the missile defense system they want + finance the countries gov';t who agreed.

If you watched Obamas speech yesterday on this, he cleary said they are working with Russia and Europe to establish a joint system against rouge states.

Good move, Obama!!

-From Canada!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Maybe they realize that it was really just a bluff anyway. We probably can't get this going in time to be effective against Iran or Russia using Nukes ad Iran is much closer or has already accomplished a few bombs and a delivery system.

This was also a very expensive project for us and we are not in the best shape economically.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

I have to agree with the OP on this.

I have no idea what's going to happen with this.

The last time I tried to see into the future, the women in their locker room caught me.

But like the locker room incident, this won't end well.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Oh my god you got this from Fox News? They are a bunch of red necks who think they are better then everyone else. Why does everyone say that Russia wants to go to war with everyone; they are having more problems then America if you ask me

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyAwesomeFace
Oh my god you got this from Fox News? They are a bunch of red necks who think they are better then everyone else. Why does everyone say that Russia wants to go to war with everyone; they are having more problems then America if you ask me

That's WHY they'll go to war. Because they are in somuch economic trouble.

As for FOX. Like them or not, they are the most watched program on tv (other than dancing with the overwieght stars).

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MyAwesomeFace

OK since you don't like Fox News, here is another link, where Polland says they have been betrayed by the US.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Maybe you forgot but Russia backs rogue nations like oh Iran, and we just found out they have the abilty to put a satelite into space... Kudos to them, but it is that hard to modify that Rocket into an ICBM and added a nuke to it.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Why does everyone thing Russia is on the verge of going to war with Europe or The West. Obama doesn't HAVE TO go Tic for Tac with them. Why should he? America cannot afford, it seems, to equip these countries with the missile defense system they want + finance the countries gov';t who agree

Don't think Russia is a threat?

How about Iran's missiles and nucs?

Turkey is an emerging regional power and in the next decade will probably be a threat to the Balkans as well, forming alliances with Russia.

So Obama has left Europe, the Bulkan countries, the entire West out in the cold on this one!

This is indeed a major American blunder! Perhaps the biggest of Obama's presidency!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
speaking only speculatively here...

Maybe if enough feel betrayed, they'll go back home to momma. Hmmm.

I'll leave it at that.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

Perhaps the Europeans should develop their own missile defense shield.

We need to take care of problems here at home and stay out of other countries business.

Isolationist....you bet! No more foreign aid, no more wars of invasion.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I must ask you, why is it considered the USA's duty now to protect every country on the planet from it's neighbors? Poland has no importance to the US, other than a strategic point to hold off Russia from its nefarious purposes.

But what nefarious purposes? This is not the cold war, the soviet regime is long dead. Russia is the largest country in the world and finally has the technological base to actively exploit the massive resources that it has at its disposal. It has no good reason to invade Poland.

I think it is time that Europe stopped running crying to the US every time it gets scared of the big baddies around it. Once upon a time Europe was the powerhouse of the world, home to empires that spanned centuries and power that went back further. When did Europe decide that it needed its younger brother to come fight its battles? The US is not the worlds police force, Europe is more than able to protect its own.

I swear, sometimes the comments here concerning Russia make me think that Joseph McCarthy is alive and actively fermenting rebellion against the "Red Threat" to the US of A.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Perhaps the Europeans should develop their own missile defense shield.

I agree fully.

Problem is the Europeans don't have the political appetite and commitment for developing either defensive let alone offensive missile protection systems.

The US already has the technology, it's an easy, relatively inexpensive option for the US versus loosing Poland and the Bulkans to other regional powers.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Poles, Czechs: US missile defense shift a betrayal

"Betrayal! The U.S. sold us to Russia and stabbed us in the back," the Polish tabloid Fakt declared on its front page.

WARSAW, Poland – Poles and Czechs voiced deep concern Friday at President Barack Obama's decision to scrap a Bush-era missile defense shield planned for their countries.

"Betrayal! The U.S. sold us to Russia and stabbed us in the back," the Polish tabloid Fakt declared on its front page.

Polish President Lech Kaczynski said he was concerned that Obama's new strategy leaves Poland in a dangerous "gray zone" between Western Europe and the old Soviet sphere.

Recent events in the region have rattled nerves throughout central and eastern Europe, a region controlled by Moscow during the Cold War, including the war last summer between Russia and Georgia and ongoing efforts by Russia to regain influence in Ukraine. A Russian cutoff of gas to Ukraine last winter left many Europeans without heat.

The Bush administration's plan would have been "a major step in preventing various disturbing trends in our region of the world," Kaczynski said in a guest editorial in the daily Fakt and also carried on his presidential Web site.

news.yahoo.com...

Since my father is from that neck of the woods, I wonder what he would have thought.

"No Radar. Russia won," the largest Czech daily, Mlada Fronta Dnes, declared in a front-page headline.

[edit on 123030p://bFriday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The article goes onto say,

Obama said the old plan was scrapped in part because the U.S. has concluded that Iran is less focused on developing the kind of long-range missiles for which the system was originally developed, making the building of an expensive new shield unnecessary.

Yet here it says,
www.google.com...
AP NewsBreak: Nuke agency says Iran can make bomb

VIENNA — Iran experts at the U.N nuclear monitoring agency believe Tehran has the ability to make a nuclear bomb and worked on developing a missile system that can carry an atomic warhead, according to a confidential report seen by The Associated Press.

The document drafted by senior officials at the International Atomic Energy Agency is the clearest indication yet that those officials share Washington's views on Iran's weapon-making capabilities and missile technology — even if they have not made those views public.

The document, titled "Possible Military Dimension of Iran's Nuclear Program," appeared to be the so-called IAEA "secret annex" on Iran's alleged nuclear arms program that the U.S., France, Israel and other IAEA members say is being withheld by agency chief Mohamed ElBaradei — claims the nuclear watchdog denies.

It is a record of IAEA findings since the agency began probing Iran's nuclear program in 2007 and has been continuously updated.

The information in the document that is either new, more detailed or represents a more forthright conclusion than found in published IAEA reports includes:

_ The IAEA's assessment that Iran worked on developing a chamber inside a ballistic missile capable of housing a warhead payload "that is quite likely to be nuclear."

_ That Iran engaged in "probable testing" of explosives commonly used to detonate a nuclear warhead — a method known as a "full-scale hemispherical explosively driven shock system."

_ An assessment that Iran worked on developing a system "for initiating a hemispherical high explosive charge" of the kind used to help spark a nuclear blast.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellusAs for FOX. Like them or not, they are the most watched program on tv (other than dancing with the overwieght stars).

Dittos on Fox...you have to be an Airhead if you think you're going to get any Truth in media anywhere else. Charlie Gibson (ABC) claimed he didn't know anything about the ACORN videos days after it all came down. GE which owns NBC was just handed a huge contract with the Russians by Obama and you rarely see anything at all derogatory on Obama on NBC.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Vlad Putin stated today that if the US tries to put any sanctions on Iran and their nuclear program it will be a HUGE mistake. So, if Russia has no nefarious plans, then why does it give a rats patootie if iran gets nukes?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Public sentiment in those countries was running something like 60-70% against the bases - the governments wanted them because we were offering them all kinds of incentives along with them.

We didn't abandon squat - these bases were a huge boondoggle that would have protected noone, they were a bid to reignite the Cold War to keep taxpayer cash flowing into the defense industry's pockets.

If Iran launches any missiles at the EU, the EU has two nuclear powers completely capable of reducing Iran to ash in minutes.

The Europeans are capable of "defending Europe" (from what, exactly, anyway?) - the United States should be defending the United States

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightonefive
Vlad Putin stated today that if the US tries to put any sanctions on Iran and their nuclear program it will be a HUGE mistake. So, if Russia has no nefarious plans, then why does it give a rats patootie if iran gets nukes?

Is that a threat?

Huge mistake,

Putin king of the north.?

man, this is so Biblical it scares me, well not really.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join