It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is anyone else having trouble with the ATS ads again?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Howdy yall.

I am just trying to figure out if the pop ups are a problem on my end or a problem on ATS ad servers again.

And if it IS the Ad servers I would like a cookie Bill

So sound off yall. Is it me or is it a bug?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I got a circular popup when navigating the BoardHome section of the site.

Also, I am, still, having AdobeAcrobat try and open incognito, and as everyone knows, that smells like malware.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

That one keeps crashing my browser, because I don't allow the thing to run. It's the ad with the guy who has the crazy eyes on it.

I work on the net, so I don't block ads because I know every little ad helps in the long run. But ATS is easily the most "Fishy" site I have probably visited in the past 5 years when it comes to ads.

I know they try to fix them and stuff, and I know it's probably hard to get ads for a site like this. But it's the only site that has made me consider blocking ads - and not because I hate them or anything, but because it feels like my PC comes under attack from time to time from the ads.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Well Glad to see I am not alone.... Admin.... Has your ad pool been upto naughty things again?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I literally JUST had a "spydoctor" ad popup and try to install malware on my laptop. What gives? Guess i'll be turning popup blocker on when on ATS from now on.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Today I am getting virus warnings from the site. 2 trojan warnings in the past 5 minutes.

Not sure why, because both times the pizza hut ads were showing, and I've never had problems with them before.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My adobe program just errored out, so the virus must have come from the previous ads and it. It was my resident shield that gave me the virus, adobe must have started up sometime on it's own.

Please ATS, I don't want to block ads and I know ti's against the T&C, but I can't have constant attacks on my PC from these things.

Not to mention, these kinds of things will get your site blacklisted and such.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
You kids have issues

Everytime there is this problem, I never seem to get it.

Strange how computers attack individuals huh?

Browser related 99% of the time my friends. Do your updates, stop using IE8 (it's crap) and switch to a consumer friendly version of Opera or Firefox.

You can easily install pop up blocker for your browser as well.

~Keeper

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Hey, I make my living off the internet and I'm not just some noob who doesn't understand things.

In fact, I've even written an ad network. So I know how the stuff works. And I am using firefox.

I am posting because I am again getting the warnings today, just got another one 2 minutes ago.

It only happens when I'm visiting ATS. It started out wanting to load adobe acrobat. I think I might have given it permission once or something on accident, because now instead of that I get virus warnings.

I am sure it is coming from this site, and if ATS doesn't do anything about it they are going to see a small drop in their ad views because I will block them. 3 days now this has been reported and not a single response or action taken.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
I am posting because I am again getting the warnings today, just got another one 2 minutes ago.

So why haven't you sent me any details that would help troubleshoot the culprit and get it removed?

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
As an FYI - Chrome crashed when I got a trojan warning from the browser. I didn't happen to see the site it listed in the warning (seeing it picks up on what site ads link to), but if it comes up again I'll try to get that info either in screen shot or simply the domain name.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I did send screenshots and specifics, as well as just sent another u2u on complaint bord, as well this corresponds to Single Net AD thread on this board, Please Please get the Singlenet AD removed.

edit:
the culprit is a node replicator for Adobe is an exploit with encoded trojans

[edit on 20/9/2009 by Pappa_Bear]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by spines
I got a circular popup when navigating the BoardHome section of the site.

Also, I am, still, having AdobeAcrobat try and open incognito, and as everyone knows, that smells like malware.

This just happened to me on my production machine. Firefox froze up when I tried to read the foe list thread, I finally killed it, and noticed that adobe reader was running. I killed adobe reader, and a few minutes later 'windows Police Pro' pops up. I chalk it up to the ad servers, but someone might have a 'bad' image also.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yes we have issues, with the exploited ads, if our pc's were not protected we wouldn't know about the problem for days. With protection we are notified about the potential problem because we have the updated programs. Guess you were wrong.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pappa_Bear
I did send screenshots and specifics,

Just screen shot.... no specifics.

Fortunately, I was able to locate the source network, but after a significant amount of time scanning every ad from every network.

And... I had informed you via U2U that the problem had been reported. In the mean time, we're not serving the type of ads triggering that problem from the network.

As I've constantly, over and over, have said in nearly every thread where we have rumors of problems with the ads -- PLEASE send me your virus alert logs that indicate the origin of the problem. Without reliable information, finding the problem ad is very unlikely... there are literally thousands of different ads that appear on ATS.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 11:57 PM
link   
What ads? There are no ads if one is logged-in, correct? At least I haven't seen any, and I don't run any kind of ad-ware/spy-ware/virus programs.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Unfortunately in this case there is no virus alert for me. If I do not give permission for the download to happen in IDM, All downloads must go through IDM, and be approved prior to download, then there is no virus to be alerted to. I have to actualy google the the attempted download to get the information I did get. The last entry in my logs would be for 08-25-09 as an iframe embedded virus, which of course was stopped and not allowed to load.

As far as being served by ATS, I know that they aren't, it would come from a 3rd party, I didn't mean to imply that it came from ATS itself if it came across that way.

XL5

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
SO, since you are active on this thread. Maybe you should make a sticky or new member U2U that lists a specific program/web program that can list what ad is trying to load what on a users computer. Something very user friendly, like a program that lets you roll your cursor over ads, press a hotkey and see a ctrl-alt-del type list for it and then press another hotkey for screenshot that saves to desktop. As it is right now, most users only know how to screenshot, scan and make an estimated guess at where the problems are coming from. IMHO, I know ATS would never willingly give users/members viruses.

Its sad that ADs them selves and the internet in general is like this. At least having two hard drives for backup/formatting fixes 99.9% of the viruses and whatnot.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I thought we were supposed to post about them. I read the other post and will send any data I can to you in the future.

I haven't gotten any alerts tonight.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Me too. And for the non-believers, it is this site. Crome has given me three warnings and crashed because of an AdobeAcrobat file that downloaded to my system from this site. I only caught it twice. Once the filename was simply 60; the next time 58. These downloaded without my permission and caused the entire browser to crash. It would not work after application restart, user profile redefinition, or system restart. I had to remove chrome and re-install three times today. The third time, I returned to a restore point from a few days ago, turned off system restore, did a virus and adware scan and removal, turned restore back on, then reinstalled chrome. no problems since.

top topics

join