It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Science and Religion Coincide?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Well yes and no, but nor more than math and enlgish 101 could coincide. let me explain.

Science is a very broad subject but i think we could all agree that science could be summed up (for the most part) as the Study of observable and natural phenomena.
Now in religion and it's claims many things about religion are not observable or natural so they would fall outside the realm of science, see so they are not opposites just different subjects.

If people would stop trying to mash the two together and use one to expalin the other things would go a lot better for everyone.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Short answer: no. Long answer: no.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
They don't really contradict each other, so they already coincide.

Those who think their is a contradiction between the 2 of them don't really understand science or religion(Philosophy in it's purest form).

Those in science forget that without the scientist, there would be no science. Meaning, without something that is able to perceive, observe and understand, science does not exist.

Those in religion forget that without physical laws reality itself does not exist.

They don't contradict each other because they aren't even talking about the same things.

Science is the realm of logic, of action and reaction. Philosophy/Religion is the realm of reason and understanding.

Science all but ignores consciousness in things because it is not equipped to deal with things such as choice, feelings and so forth. It's not repeatable, or bound to the laws of action and reaction, and so it's just not something science is equipped to deal with. It doesn't mean science is wrong, it just means it has a proper place and purpose, and if you understood science then you should understand that limit.

And when you get into religion, when it talks of creations, it's using a story to give a general and basic understanding - the way you might tell a 5 year old. What good would it have done people 5000 years ago a physics paper of today? Those who want to hang on to the literal story, or "fairy tale" fail to realize there is much more to understand about creation itself.

There is no contradiction for me.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Yes, Buddhism very much is open to scientific ideas. All complaints scientists have made about Buddhism neglect the fact that Buddhism changes and that all Buddhists accept changes in thought and rationality.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well, IMO, no, they can't coincide.

It is although, a relationship. Albeit, one in which domestic violence is prominent. It's a yin and yang. Science is fact-tested. "Religion" is faith-based. They're polar opposites. Yet, they coexist on different pages of the same book. It's like matter and antimatter.

A2D

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

I believe they can coexist. But I also believe they will never coexist. Neither side is honest. The christians fear science will destroy their faith, and scientists fear they will confirm some things that scriptures say is real.

I personally have no problems with science. Neither does the Bible speak out against science.

Proverbs 25:2-3
2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter. 3 The heaven for height, and the earth for depth, and the heart of kings is unsearchable.

We're all "searching out a matter". That is what science does.

[edit on 3-10-2009 by PSUSA]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join