It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So much for Depop,Aus Gov expecting massive growth

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
This was anounced today in australia, apparently we are expecting massive growth over the next 40 years. I for one think that the infrastructure in most parts of australia is at breaking point already.

Higher fertility rates and migration to blame.

Our government would have trouble LEADING a rat down a drain pipe, let alone getting there act together in the next 10 years to deal with the population that we currently have.

On a side note, the theories of depopulation here on ATS seem to be a wash when i hear news like this, unless the rug will be pulled from under when we least expect it.

35 million by 2049

[edit on 18/9/2009 by scubagravy]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Didn't they just ok the vaccine though?

Interesting.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
ahhaa, true, well Rep, what else do you propose.

Is there any aussies on here that could agree with me on the infrastructure??

Guess we'll see how the rest of the year goes, we'l know more then.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by banned member

Holy crap...

lmao, it's unbelievable

[edit on 18-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
ahhaa, true, well Rep, what else do you propose.

Is there any aussies on here that could agree with me on the infrastructure??

Guess we'll see how the rest of the year goes, we'l know more then.

I'm not one for the depopulation theory.

But I think if they did it, they better do it quick, more dead bodies could serve no purpose.

I'm not Aussie savvy though

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Im not really one for that theory either, but when im sitting in a tonne of traffic waiting to get home, taking an hour to travel 15km, i think about the depop theory alot lol.

*yes, i know, get a bike. im workin on it

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Australia simply cannot sustain 35 million, there is not enough water in Australia to do it.

Simple as that.

There are serious water shortages in every Australian city right now. The Murray river, and the whole inland waterway system is drying up, and has not flowed right to the sea in many years.

We will do o/k, but 35 million here in oZ is just not possible.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Silver Shadow

Thanks Silver, had to star you for agreeing with my point. Have you noticed the dams that were made long ago are starving our rivers, and now it seems the weather pattern has changed and not alot of rain falls where it used to?

Damn!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   

reply to post by Silver Shadow

Thanks Silver, had to star you for agreeing with my point. Have you noticed the dams that were made long ago are starving our rivers, and now it seems the weather pattern has changed and not alot of rain falls where it used to?

Damn!

If you could, please lol, for the folks not in australia, post a link about this?

Second line before a mod grabs me!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I will do my best, it takes me while though, i can build you a house, but ask me to research and link stuff?? ahhem, see what i can do mate
i may just check out some of Oz Weathermans threads, he may have covered this already.

Also note that i wrote 'seems' lol, just my interpretation from hearing the local weather news maybe

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   

I will do my best, it takes me while though, i can build you a house, but ask me to research and link stuff?? ahhem, see what i can do mate
i may just check out some of Oz Weathermans threads, he may have covered this already.

Also note that i wrote 'seems' lol, just my interpretation from hearing the local weather news maybe

Not to fond of the guy honestly, try to disregard anything he and a select few say.

When you get around, since I respect you, i'd like a link lol.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Newspeak, my friend... Newspeak.

"surge in pop" headlines = from whomever's telling the editor to place it...it's a smug joke pointed at yet vastly unbeknownst to the reader as it's the opposite in reality.

everything is opposite here in Wonderland... up is down.. inside.. out...

interesting to note though.

-

[edit on 18-9-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by scubagravy

Australia has been trying to bring in skilled workers from around the world for a decade at least. If you have a skill or training in specific fields they want you.

This is simply because they need the infrastructure to be built across areas that are not currently populated. Australia has vast areas that are simply not populated, and to become a stronger country, they need more people. That's why they also offer payment to young parents to have children.

I have two very close friends living over there, and they absolutely love the country.
I can see why, I wanted to move there too.

But...
I think the way they are going at the moment, they are putting young people off. Internet control/censorship, the dictatorial farce when Bush visited, they are a couple of examples that now put me and many millions of others off of going there.

Yes it is a beautiful country, but I'm not prepared to restrict my freedom for a pretty view.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Australia has more than enough resources for 35 million people. Infrastructure is not a problem at all, and we need more people because otherwise we are going to have a drastic demographic crisis not unlike what Japan is experiencing.

There are, however, a hell of a lot of racists and xenophobes in Australia - its like the US in the 1950s, really.

[edit on 18/9/09 by Yazman]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Quite a shame that you feel that way about Oz, his knowledge is extremely valuable and welcome around here and is the ideal person to answer your question about the change in Australia's weather.

But in short it is attributed to El niño and La niña.
So if Oz isn't your friend, then google will be.

[edit on 18/9/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Double post

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I have moved to Oz in the last year from the UK, was born in Oz but grew up in UK.
Oz does have a poor infrastructure, however it has massive potential to expand with the right investment. In my opinion OZ main problem is its isolation, it is roughly 10 years plus behind most first world nations in many areas, not technologically, but sociologically. Previous posts mention racism, definitely an issue here as well as sexism and ageism. Its a very young country but with huge potential, i would not live anywhere else. My family are so much happier here than in UK even though we are way from friends and family.
To get back to the point, i can see no way OZ could sustain that sort of population growth in that time frame. Not to mention house prices here are waaay too high, a housing collapse would follow very quickly. Unless all those extra 13 million are fully skilled builders engineers etc it will be very difficult. The government cannot possible afford it.
Quick example, policing. I live on the gold coast, approx population half a million, at any time there are usually 6 "beat cops" on duty. Private security firms take up the slack!!!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
"the dictatorial farce when Bush visited"

Last year when the G20 was in Sydney, I was watch an interview with our now Prime Minister Rudd, just before his first meeting with Bush. The man was amazing, he was extremely stern about what he was going to tell Bush,,, Aussie troops out of Iraq was his biggest point. For the first time in my life, I had faith in our Government and I knew he was the man for us.
A short time later the big announcement came that Rudd had finish the meeting and was on his way back to be interviewed,,as soon as he came into camera shot my heart sunk and I said out aloud "what the hell did he(Bush) say to him", the man was pale white and he look frightened....That was the day I removed the aerial from the back of my TV...

I found two links that may be helpful about our water supply,,Great Artesian Basin, the last I heard it was under a lot of strain but I don't recall the reason why,,,my guess would be all the mining.I've been on a lot of mine sites over the last ten years and you would be disgusted at the amount of water that gets wasted day and night,,,some of it goes into the taillings dams and evaporates off, but the majority just gets wasted into the drains,,,there was only one site, that I could remember, that recycled there water but things may have changed by now, it has been a while.
The other link is called Australian Dam Data,,,I hope it helps..

As for the over population,,I don't see it as so. I've been around and through Australia and there is a hell of a lot of land out there. The way I see it, is that it appears to look crowed because our government refuses to release enough land, and for the barren areas, the technology exists right now for cheap power, harvesting water from the air and growing crops.....

[edit on 18/9/2009 by Illuminottie]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Quite a shame that you feel that way about Oz, his knowledge is extremely valuable and welcome around here and is the ideal person to answer your question about the change in Australia's weather.

But in short it is attributed to El niño and La niña.
So if Oz isn't your friend, then google will be.

Google, internet wise is my best friend.

Just Oz, liked some of his threads, but had a dispute, and no longer, like the person.

I like ben stein, and some of what he does, but as a person, I would do my best to put him on the ignore list.

I agree though, i need to start googling it! Got to learn for myself right!

<<   2 >>

join