It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

average religion post

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Ok, so i know that something like this is probably a normal thread post, but i'd like to throw my two cents in the bucket. Anyway moving along, this post is about religion and all that good stuff. I'm a 10th grader in high school and I am also an atheist. I know what you're thinking, just because I'm 16 does not mean that i am completely ignorant. Now that we've got that out of the way, I have a question, well actually a couple. Why is it almost impossible to have a normal, civilized conversation about religion with a Christian, and i single them out because they are the most hard headed of all religions. The other day i tried this with a girl in my class. I'm not trying to convert anyone I'm merely trying to get my point across, let them see my side of things, i see their side. But the only argument that she could throw at me was "well the bible says....". I was keeping it cool, not raising my voice, etc. After about 5 minutes of this she starts yelling at me. I was just asking her questions. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. So it wasn't just this one person.
The questions that i have are: Why do christians get so defensive when you question them? Are they really that afraid that they are wrong? I know that i might be wrong.
Sorry if i made any grammar mistakes, obviously I'm not a writer. Ha Ha

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dylant93

Why do christians get so defensive when you question them? Are they really that afraid that they are wrong?

Precisely, only that it's not only christians who have this problem, it's religion in general. I've found muslims are often even more easily offended just by a reference I made from their quran that they did not like. At universities, I've seen muslims hand out qurans, yet after asking if they've read them, they say "no".

It's ridiculous and weak-minded of those people who cannot accept logical criticism of their own beliefs. At what point are many muslims going to accept that the quran is hateful towards non-believers? At what point are christians going to accept that the bible is nothing more than stories?

[edit on 17-9-2009 by john124]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sounds to me like this was a more accusatory attitude on your part with the questions you asked.

Maybe a more gentle and understanding conversation would have gotten you the answers you were looking for.

I've always tried to discuss opposing points in a friendly manner and not slammed my opponent with negative attitude towards their beliefs.

You were trying to get your point across at the same time she was getting her point across.

You can hear what she is saying and not agree with her but it gets tricky when you try to change another's beliefs.

Mutual respect of different beliefs makes friemds not enemys.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
In reality, that Christian is no different than you. He might believe that Jesus was the Messiah, resurrected, performed miracles, etc. but that person still have feelings, emotions, anger, love, just like you. If you look at the Bible in general and a lot of the characters/people that were in it, they were really no different than you and I.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

No, I think the OP has a fair point.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
If you saw her getting agitated why did you keep pressing her?

If you don't want to get yelled at then the first thing you should learn is to know when to stop.

Don't atheists get upset when Christians press them when they just want to be left alone? You wouldn't want me to drill you with question after question when you don't want to discuss your belief.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I think that she was just unsure of how to defend her beliefs. She is young, just like you, and will spend the rest of her life seeking the truth, just like you. Go easy on the questions and give her time to explain how she feels about being a Christian and maybe she will understand that you are just seeking knowledge.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I wasn't slamming her with negative questions. I may have been a little hostile, but no more than she was with me.

And to john124; I haven't really had the chance to be around any muslims for any length of time. There aren't too many of those here in OK. Just hard headed Christians. Ohh, and another thing, why do christian, as soon as you bring up evolution or Darwinism, they automatically think you are a brainless idiot? Without even knowing anything about it. When there is WAY more theories and evidence to support it than any other religion or belief.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jennybee35
I think that she was just unsure of how to defend her beliefs. She is young, just like you, and will spend the rest of her life seeking the truth, just like you. Go easy on the questions and give her time to explain how she feels about being a Christian and maybe she will understand that you are just seeking knowledge.

Totally agree.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

just to clear this up she came into the discussion i was having with someone who has similar beliefs i do, and no i wouldn't get angry or agitated if someone were asking me questions about what i believe.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
When I was a little boy my mother told me the best way to loose a friend was to discuss religion, politics, loan them money or sell them a car.

There is no such thing as religious freedom, never will a Mormon priest say to a fellow Mormon you really ought to be a Catholic, a Catholic priest will never say to a fellow Catholic, you ought to be a Jew, A Rabi will never say to a Jew, you ought to be a Muslim, and an Iman is never going to say to a Muslim, you ought to be a Hindu.

The same is true with Political Parties, no Republican is going to tell a fellow Republican you should be a Democrat, no Democrat is ever going to tell a fellow Democrat you should be a Libertarian.

All these orginizations have and use circular logic that can not be defeated with real logic. If their religion or party tells them 2 + 2 is 3 and you must always accept that on faith to be loved and respected and one of us, there is not a calculator or math book in the world that is going to convince them 2 + 2 is 4.

You will alawys loose their respect trying too.

People aren't really interested in being right, or doing what is right either, they are just interested in being loved and accepted by those they want to be loved and accepted by, based on a mutual belief that exists amongst them and between them of what is right and lovable.

Right or wrong it's always wise to allow people their own free will and cling to their beliefs and let them learn grow and evolve at their own pace.

Ultimately no one can lay claim to knowing the exact mystrery of life and the universe and be able to prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt, so in reality no one of us is any brighter or smarter, dumber or more correct than the other. We all come in the world naked and crying like a baby, and we all go out deader than a door nail.

My best advice is be yourself, let other people be themselves, try to do no harm, and just get along.

Life becomes a lot less frustrating and fewer girls yell at you!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Thats not what I asked.

If you saw her getting agitated why did you keep pressing her?

One thing you will learn is that a 16 year old girl is easy to intimidate and easy to anger.

You got hostile with her so apparently you do get agitated when your belief is questioned.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by dylant93
Ok, so i know that something like this is probably a normal thread post, but i'd like to throw my two cents in the bucket. Anyway moving along, this post is about religion and all that good stuff. I'm a 10th grader in high school and I am also an atheist. I know what you're thinking, just because I'm 16 does not mean that i am completely ignorant. Now that we've got that out of the way, I have a question, well actually a couple. Why is it almost impossible to have a normal, civilized conversation about religion with a Christian, and i single them out because they are the most hard headed of all religions. The other day i tried this with a girl in my class. I'm not trying to convert anyone I'm merely trying to get my point across, let them see my side of things, i see their side. But the only argument that she could throw at me was "well the bible says....". I was keeping it cool, not raising my voice, etc. After about 5 minutes of this she starts yelling at me. I was just asking her questions. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. So it wasn't just this one person.
The questions that i have are: Why do christians get so defensive when you question them? Are they really that afraid that they are wrong? I know that i might be wrong.
Sorry if i made any grammar mistakes, obviously I'm not a writer. Ha Ha

pretty good post for 16...

but not sure though why you're in the 911 forum asking this question as i don't think mods will keep it here, buuuuuuuuuut, if you really want my opinion, there's several reasons i can give you that might help answer what you're trying to understand, however i'd be opening a can of worms in doing so.

It has to do with several areas... including ego, conditioning, programming, or dare i just say plain ol' brainwashing.'

where do you want me to start?

Organized Religion is nothing more than a tool used to enslave and control.

You shouldn't have to be "Christian" to believe in a higher power or be a religious person.

Once you start realizing "God" is within and within all life, you'll begin to understand how most simply have a retarded concept of "God" and why the Xtian faith is perhaps one of the most corrupt, hypocritical and mis-guided of all paths.

Its one thing to believe or have faith in a higher power or CREATOR, but quite another to have a blind faith that you cannot find or get to "God" without accepting Jesus as your saviour.

Not to say Muslims or Jews are any better, but Christians are the only ones who believe Jesus was more than just a prophet of God.

I was raised with a christian background and even attended a catholic school, but I too had the same questions long ago that you're asking and decided to search for knowledge into so many unanswered questions and contradictions that bothered me about Christianity... funny the same type of questions i asked about 9/11 led me to finding the truth about that LIE as well.

If I had to pick a faith or belief system I now believe, it might be closer to buddhism since its more a philosophy of life.

I would also venture to bet that you're an INDIGO, so theres a word for you to do some research on that i'm sure will help you seek the knowledge you're trying to find.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

i know that i am not going to convince anyone to change. People don't change. And i know that i am probably wrong, I also know that people don't respect scrutiny of their lifestyle or beliefs. However i would like it if people would just respect other religions and lifestyles. But the funny thing is that this girl hasn't talked to me since then. haha....

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   

There really is no cause for true Christians to get so upset about evolution. God NEVER stated the age of the earth. In Genesis chapter 1, He said "In the beginning". He did not tell us when that beginning was. We can clearly see that there has been life on this planet for millions of years, the archaeological evidence cannot be refuted. Those people and things that came before had their purpose, just as we do in this age. For all we know, God has created and destroyed numerous creations. When He spoke everything into existence, He said "Let the EARTH bring forth grass and herb after its kind". Gen 1:11. He also said "Let the WATERS bring forth the moving creature that has life, and the winged fowl." Gen 1:20. Sounds like some God-inspired evolution to me!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Heh. I am not chuckling because you are 16 and asking questions. I am chuckling because you don't know much about the world. Just like most of us. I chuckle because people post threads about Christians, like these people have so great control over the world. Heh. Yeh, from your post, they do have great control over you and your world.

Just humor, me though. Suppose you lived in Saudi Arabia. You were 16 and in school and questioned Islam. Heh. Heh. Do I have to say more?

Good luck with that situation.

Expand your horizons. You've got the internet. In my day I had to actually go into unfamiliar places to actually achieve some sort of real and decent education.

Dang Christians! Always speaking nonsense to me. And, yeah, I can safely speak back. No stonings. No crucifixions. Maybe a bit of snubbing by others. What the hell? Who gives a damn about being snubbed? I just thank their god that they don't burn me at the stake.
Like they could.
I'm a tough old geezer. I suggest you get tough, too.

Peace to you. And don't worry about anyone else. And don't worry about them worrying about you!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion7911

well thank you, I'd venture to say it's probably mostly good 'ol brainwashing.
And i'm not 100% sure what you mean by indigo? I have some sort of idea, but if you could elaborate that would be fantastic.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by kyred

ha, don't worry, the last thing i care about is being shunned because i'm "different". and believe me i don't let those people run my world. I just come to the internet to complain. Just like everyone else does.
and i think that if i were in that situation, the Saudi Arabia situation that is, I would hope i would be smart enough to keep my opinions to my self.

top topics

join