It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Kosher Nostra Scam" - What do you think?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I checked to see if this had been posted before, but found nothing, so here goes...

I remember reading about this a while back, and came across a new article on the topic. I don't know whether this is true or not, I live in Canada, and have found these symbols on some products. What they mean, I'm not sure. This is a really interesting read, anyway, and hopefully you can all share some thoughts on the topic. If you've read anything else with regard to these markings on products, etc., please share.

This is the original article from 2002:

The "Kosher Nostra Scam" on the American Consumer

Ernesto Cienfuegos - La Voz de Aztlan, 4/27/2002

La Voz de Aztlan receives quite a few "news tips" per week from our many subscribers and readers. Some we dismiss immediately but a very few catch our attention. Last week we receive an e-mail asking us if we knew the significance of the small encircled letter "U" or letter "K" that can be found printed on many food cans, food packages and on other kitchen products. The message gave us some clues and suggested that we do some research into the subject. What we found certainly was "news" to us and it both shocked and angered us.

On arriving at my residence, I immediately went to the pantry to verify that what I had just learned was actually true. Sure enough, most of the packaged and canned foods from major companies, like Proctor &Gamble and others, did have the (U), the (K) or other similar markings. The Arrowhead water bottle, the instant Folgers Coffee, the Kelloggs box, the Jiff Peanut Butter, the Pepper container, the Trader Joe's tea box and even the Glads plastic sandwich bags carton had the (U) or (K) mark on them.

We needed a little more verification so we called two major companies to asked some questions. We chose Proctor &Gamble that markets the Folgers Coffee and the Clorox Company that manufactures the Glads plastic zip lock sandwich bags. Each of the two companies, as well as most others, have 1-800 telephone numbers printed on their packages for consumers to call in case they have any questions about their products. When we asked the Proctor &Gamble representative what the (U) meant on their Folgers Coffee container, she asked us to wait until she consulted with her supervisor. She came back and informed us that the mark meant that the coffee was " certified kosher". We than asked her how and who certified the coffee to be "kosher" and whether it cost any money to do so. She refused to answer these and other questions. She suggested that we write to their Corporate Public Affairs Department. We than called the Clorox Corporation to ask what the (U) meant on the package of their Glads plastic sandwich bags and she also said that the (U) meant that the plastic bags were "kosher" but refused to answer questions concerning payments the Clorox Corporation has to make in order to be able to print the (U) on their products.

What we learned next, pretty much floored me personally. I learned that major food companies throughout America actually pay a Jewish Tax amounting to hundreds of million of dollars per year in order to receive protection. This hidden tax gets passed, of course, to all non-Jewish consumers of the products. The scam is to coerce the companies to pay up or suffer the consequences of a Jewish boycott. Jewish consumers have learned not to buy any kitchen product that does not have the (U) the (K) and other similar markings.

"KOSHER NOSTRA SCAM" CONTINUED

here's a new article from last month:

A little over a year ago, I wrote a well received article titled, "The 'Kosher Nostra Scam' on the American Consumer". The article outlined a sophisticated scam that is costing the American consumer millions of dollars per year by paying extra for what actually amounts to a hidden "Jewish Tax" on food products.

The perpetrators of these elaborate extortion schemes are rabbinical councils. These councils coerce large food companies to pay up for the use of their kosher symbols (U) and (K) on their food labels or else face a massive Jewish boycott of their products. Today, American consumers are having to pay extra for such products as bottled mountain spring water, plastic sandwich bags, aluminum foil, folgers coffee, detergent and for thousands of other products that are unrelated to the Torah kosher laws. The rabbis have "stretched" the meaning of the Torah kosher laws in order to maximize the profits they receive through their protection racket. The largest payola operations in the U.S. are run by those rabbis who license the (U) and the (K) symbols. These are the rabbis that run the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations (U) and the rabbis associated with Star-K symbol.

These same two rabbi organizations recently perpetuated yet another "Kosher Nostra Scam". This time the scam will affect many destitute American consumers who depend on a McDonald's hamburger and fries for nutrition. These consumers will surely pay more for their food now that the Union of Orthodox Jewish Congregations and the rabbis associated with the Star-K symbol have been instrumental in forcing McDonald's to pay up $10 million dollars as part of a Cook County circuit court (Illinois) settlement ruled on May 20. The settlement, obtain on behalf of the rabbis and other groups, was litigated by a group of Jewish attorneys and decided by Jewish Judge Richard Seibel. What was Mc Donald's crime? They failed to divulge that their fries had a "beef" flavoring!

MORE

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
SNOPES debunked it (as if anyone would really believe it) HERE.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:12 PM
link   
well i couldn't get that link to work.

I always wondered about some of those symbols on our everyday products.

but what's with non edibles being kosher?

I thought it only matter if the food was kosher. Why would a garbage bag need to be kosher??

glad you brought it up parrhesia

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Here's another link from The Straight Dope

A product is "kosher" if a rabbi determines and certifies that it meets the requirements of Jewish dietary law, which is no mean feat in these days of additive-laden prepackaged foods. In addition to the familiar prohibitions against pork and mixing meat and dairy substances, the law contains strict provisions for the slaughter and preparation of virtually all animal products. The most innocent-looking ingredient--an emulsifier, an oil, a dab of gelatin--can mean the difference between kosher and nonkosher, even if it merely comes in contact with something that will eventually be eaten (which is where things like oven cleaners and plastic bags come into play).

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
A lot of everyday porducts are made with animal fat, and you can't mix the dairy with the animal fat, i.e., cheese can't be thrown in the trash bag made with anything to do with meat, nor can plates touched with cheese be washed by fat renered soaps. This is for the finatical.

Now, my daddy worked in the meat-packing industry for about 8 years, half with pigs, half with beef. For those slabs of meat from cows that are going to get the (k), the orthodox jewish leader has to be present, has to make sure the preparations are right, and I think he's even supposed to bless the meat.
they have cleaner rules than our own meat-packing industry does--buying kosher, with meats, is actually safer, i.e., has less chances of making you ill.
Now, when they prepare lamb for the passover, they don't eat the hip:

32:25 When he saw that he had not prevailed against him, he touched the socket of his thigh; so the socket of Jacob's thigh was dislocated while he wrestled with him.
Ge 32:32 Therefore, to this day the sons of Israel do not eat the sinew of the hip which is on the socket of the thigh, because he touched the socket of Jacob's thigh in the sinew of the hip.
So you'll often find this section of the lamb cheaper around Easter, is set around passover. It's been looked over like the rest of the lamb, but they won't eat it. I believe that it's the right socket, in particular...

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
There is no such conspiracy going on, lol. Those symbols to not indicate blackmailing by the Jewish community, or anything of that sort. Those symbols simply indicate that the product has been accepted by a council / organisation of rabbis who do this for a living. There are certain biblical rules in place that restrict the ingestion of certain foods for Jewish people.

I am Jewish, and know that those symbols are simply an 'approval stamp', much like the USDA approval symbol on beef jerky and certain meats.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Then why are they on ziplock bags?

It has nothing to do with food ...

What, the plastic's kosher?

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
have to meet with a certain level of unleakable, unbustible standards that you would contain your meat and dairy in, so that way you can put them in the "meat and dairy" drawer of the fridge together, because if they touch, depending on how severe it is, it will a.) make your fridge unclean, and b.) it might make you unclean--which means a thourough cleansing of both, and maybe even presenting yourself before your Rabbi for rituals. In the Old Testament/Torah, you were not allowed IN camp unclean, (i.e., you couldn't sleep in your tent next to your spouse, or do work next to others, etc.). What's fun is that a woman's cycle is an unclean thing--I don't know how the orthodox now deal with that one; I'd have to ask.
Bleach has it becasue it can kill anything left by the meat or the dairy...
to find the answeres, jut think it out, a little...they're actually rather simple.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Yes, My questions prescisely.

Why is plastic wrap, plastic spoons, Kosher? Thats a pretty bad diet if you ask me.

And why have i found Kosher symbols on products that contain both meat and dairy?

90% of the items in the store I find are Kosher. Yet I know of several that combine meat and dairy. And I have seen Khosher symbols on products that contain pork.

And also, why should such a tiny religion be able to get thier approval stamp on products for the rest of the population? There are simply too few Khosher jews in the US to justify stamping 90% of our products. Hell, there more religions than just them.

I dunno about a tax scam, I have heard that but doubted it. But I do have a problem with someone elses religion being brought to my dinner table.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
And also, why should such a tiny religion be able to get thier approval stamp on products for the rest of the population? There are simply too few Khosher jews in the US to justify stamping 90% of our products.

Probably to give the company a more friendly public image, and to please followers of the Jewish religion.

Hell, there more religions than just them.

Which is exactly why you see Islamic and other religious "approval" symbols on certain foods.

But I do have a problem with someone elses religion being brought to my dinner table.

Nobody's religion dwells at your dinner table, lol. Have you seen the new Atkins-friendly food label? Think of the Kosher declaration as sort of like that.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:37 PM
link   
No, I dont see Muslim food approval stamps on everything I eat.

And catering to a VERY small portion of the population, a VERY tiny amount of the population, seems a bit extreme.

Atkins is not a religion, nor are atkins stamps on EVERY damn thing you eat.

Yes, it is religion brought to the dinner table. Having religious clerics of any religion, going and "supervising" the process of food preperation is extreme. If they want thier own special foods, they should stick with thier own companies and make thier own stuff, not mainstream it.

Less than 1% of Jews are Kosher Jews, a VERY small market, and I dont feel its right thier religious superstitions about how food is made should be imposed on 90% of the food supply.

Go look in your cupboards. Spaghetti sauce, Cookies, Sausage, pasta, beans....find something that aint Kosher. I have already looked, and I cant.

Even pepper is Kosher. And salt. Yet they also make "kosher salt.

And I am still yet to get an explaination on why saran wrap, plastic bags, cutlery, have to be Kosher.

Last time i checked, there were no Rabinnical laws regarding the manufactire of plastics.

I wouldnt want Christian superstitions brought to my dinner table on how things are to be prepared, I wouldnt want Muslim, or Buddist.

if they want Kosher food, they should make it themselves. Not go around supervising what the gentiles eat making sure Jews can eat it too.

There are companies that make SPECIFICALLY Kosher foods that can bought at the store. Hell, my local supermarket as shelves and sections with nothing but Kosher food, sold as such.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I dunno about a tax scam, I have heard that but doubted it. But I do have a problem with someone elses religion being brought to my dinner table.

How is it being brought to your dinner table? Do you read the labels while you eat? And you say that there are 1% of Jews are Kosher Jews. That is a lot of Jews, no matter how you slice it. And there were even more Kosher Jews back when they started all of this (since Catholic, Jews, have seen their numbers dwindle).

I wouldnt want Christian superstitions brought to my dinner table on how things are to be prepared, I wouldnt want Muslim, or Buddist.if they want Kosher food, they should make it themselves.

So if kids want milk with their Cheerios, they should grab a rabbi and milk a cow? Are you one of those people who wander around Super Wal-Mart complaining about all of those 'Goya' products?

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Bringing religion to my dinner table by manufacturing all my food in acordance with thier superstition.

I would think that would be obvious. Obviously not.

I want athiest food. In otherwords, food just made without having to adhere to some archaic, nonsesical religous babble.

And yes. If some Kosher jew wants milk on thier cheerios, then let em get a rabbi to go bless the cow or whatever the hell they do. If they wanna follow some barbarian religion thousands of years out of date, then they need to accomidate themselves. Not the other way around.

Mainstream food should not accomidate a small percentage of them. if they wanna live by thier wierd ancestral regulations, let them work it out.

And since there are only 14 million jews in the US, maybe 1% of them being kosher, no, thats not alot of people. Not enough to justify regulating the food supply of 300 million to fit THIER standards.

They can come up with thier own companies to make thier special foods. they already have a couple companies that manufacture specifically kosher foods, if they want kosher food, then go to those companies and have them make your food. or have them produce it, sicne they do already.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You seem to really dislike the Jewish religion, Skadi.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Well, first they control the food, and next thing you know we're all spinning the dreidel.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
First off take a look around the rest of the Atzlan site, since they want to take over the south western US as their homeland maybe they have their own agenda.

If I was making some product I would want to appeal to the widest market I could, if my product meets kosher standards why wouldn't advertise that fact.

Maybe I'm in some secret special part of the country since after I looked at what's on my shelves over half of the items do not have the kosher emblem on them.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Thanks for the Snopes link, curme. It explains a lot, with regard to labelling platic bag, etc.

I've been looking through some other articles on the topic, and found these:

However, in 1975 the New York Times reported that the cost to General Foods' Bird's Eye Corn, for example, is 6.5 millionths (.0000065) of a cent per unit. In 2002 the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), in an effort to justify the kosher certification industry reported how a representative of the Heinz Company said that the per item cost is 'so small we can't even calculate it,' and that such labeling actually makes products less costly by increasing the market for them.

The amount may seem small, but so do most taxes. The devil is in the mathematical details. Depending upon whether a unit is a package or the number of things, such individual kernels of peas or corn in a package, the revenue generated from kosher certification, if every American purchased an average of 35 kosher products per week, would be somewhere between $117,554,118 and $58 billion over the last 35 years. If the UOJC would just tell us the numbers, such conjecture would not be necessary.

more

And, to present both sides, from the ADL site:

The UOJC is one of several groups that maintain such a kosher inspection service, certifying foods and related products to be in compliance with Jewish dietary laws through all phases of production. The profit from these products goes, of course, to the companies that manufacture them and the stores that sell them, not to "the Jews."

more

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia

The profit from these products goes, of course, to the companies that manufacture them and the stores that sell them, not to "the Jews."

Exactly.

posted on May, 16 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Now this story shows something very interesting.

Namely, that had it been about anybody other than the Jews, nobody would have even thought or worried about it for one millsecond.

1% of the US population is at least 2.6 million people.

Presumably the reason for having it on implements is to satisfy the requirements that there be separate dishes for meat and dairy.

If you make a plastic fork that is "OK" that is saying that it has no meat or dairy derived products in it and so you can use it with either meal.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I know some people who are Jewish, and they deffinately live by the "K". As mentioned earlier the tiniest ingredient can leave you without the seal of approval sort of speak.

Now as for why you don't see any islamic symbolism similar to this. I would have to venture out and say, many of the foods that are popular in the States are Haram or prohibited in Islamic law. Not to mention that many Muslim shop at Muslim oriented shops, which carry the products they are familiar with and prefer.

If the American born muslim population was as strong as the Jewish one, then I am sure we would see the same symbolism.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join