It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad Man: Is Glenn Beck Bad for America?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by djvexd

Great post friend and thanks for taking the time to comment and add that very important distinction that too many people fail to make. Being American doesn't mean having to be Democrat, Republican or married to either side of the political divide.

The plain truth is divide and conquer warfare aside, if all we have is these two dysfunctional parties to represent us in our representative republic we are in big trouble, and it would appear in fact we are!

Americans first, everything else second.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Sadly, just another feeble attempt at shooting the messenger when they can't handle the message.

Isn't that the norm nowadays? No real way to debate when the facts are not considered.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by wx4caster

You cannot find truth by listening to those who spread lies... You can, however, find out what is not true...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Glen Beck is a paranoid fanatic, that has helped raise the level of rhetoric to dangerous levels. He has provided a purpose to people who needed purpose and has given wings
to a monster that has no direction or real objective. HE has muddied the clear and basic
message of the original tea parties, to end the fed and bring ALL American troops home - those were clear objectives - both right and left could find common ground as it was pure.

Now BECK has infected minds with fantastic ideas based upon fiction and carefully configured fact. It seems the only objective is to be angry, to spread anger and sow the seeds of anger. In such a hard time to add this level of fear is no different than shouting fire.

You have been awoken to a theory of design, where people places and things may be true, but implications have been manufactured to propagate more fear, more anger. No good will come of this because of the way it was built, the way it was executed which was to achieve just that, nothing of good.

Throw your flames

[edit on 17-9-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator
Glen Beck is a paranoid fanatic, that has helped raise the level of rhetoric to dangerous levels.

I actually somewhat agree with what you said. If you actually watch O'Reilly whether you like him or not, he is pretty even with things. He was tough on Bush and he is with Obama, but more of a level-headed approach, not frantic like Glenn Beck is. And it is interesting when you see Beck on O'Reilly and he is asking him questions. You can really see O'Reilly having a much more level-headed approach with the Obama administration. So props for Bill O'Reilly.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 17-9-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
reply to post by djvexd

Great post friend and thanks for taking the time to comment and add that very important distinction that too many people fail to make. Being American doesn't mean having to be Democrat, Republican or married to either side of the political divide.

The plain truth is divide and conquer warfare aside, if all we have is these two dysfunctional parties to represent us in our representative republic we are in big trouble, and it would appear in fact we are!

Americans first, everything else second.

It seems clear that Becks goal is to divide America and conquer his his current salary.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mental modulator

Really? Does it now. Show me. Prove it to me. You can't aside from your own personal hatred for Beck. This is what I am talking about. LISTEN TO EVERYTHING! Then form a conclusion or a stance. But of course that would be intellectually honest. Too much work for partisans. I am not defending Beck I am attacking peoples' lack of dilligence.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by djvexd
Proto, great thread, kudos. And to the majority of people that have posted thus far....read the thread instead of commenting on the damn headline. As has been displayed thus far there are people who take 10% of what is said and extrapolate the rest. America has seriously gone down since the invention of the internet. Headlines are more effective than the article. Did Beck instigate these turn outs? Maybe. I can tell you he wasn't the sole cause. WOW maybe people are actually upset? Wait according to others these are all card carrying memebers of the KKK. Stop being ignorant folks.Stop dividing yourselves along retarded party lines. When TSHTF you aren't going to ask the person beside you, "Are you a Rep or a Dem?" It is time to grow up and enter the realm acctually caring about this country.

Good points. Even though I watch Glenn Beck from time to time, I don't get overly excited about what he is saying or fanatical or emotional. I like to be informed and form my own opinion about things, thus being an independent and not going with party lines.

It is true, Beck, where exactly where you when Bush was in office? I mean, he said some stuff here and there, but he should have done more so with Bush. Of course he knew a lot of Republicans watched his show, so I guess he didn't want to offend too many people by coming out hard on Bush and his money spending, along with many other questionable things. If he did that, he would lose viewership and yes, MONEY!

It is true what you said, lots of people just read the headline and not the entire news article. It's true, the Internet has created information news gathering of news clips and headlines. With stress, work, etc. etc. and a ton of information being thrown at us everyday, lots of people in many ways have ADD. They can't focus on reading an entire article and understanding the facts and issues, along with conclusions. It has almost dumbed people down. which I am sure 50%-70% of our country probably doesn't even know who the Secretary of State is. lol

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Your modulating again my friend! Have you thought of switching to Sanka?

My actual commentary for the opening post was about the media, spefically TIME Magazine and other orginizations including FOX, CNN, MSNBC, et. al, etc. feeling that you and I are too dumb to decide whether we agree with a message, disagree or should filter out the message all by ourselves, that we not be told by the media what is intelligent and what isn't.

I respect your feelings about not agreeing with Glen Beck, but when you start saying free speech itself leads to dangerous divisions I draw the line and disagree because then you are saying that free speech is dangerous.

The whole point of my post was can you, can anyone seperate the messengers from the message anymore.

Can you, can anyone agree that I should have the right to make up my mind as to what I agree to, and that vilifying or beatifying a messenger is really an attempt to control free speech and the message by controlling the messenger and who can and should be a messenger.

I think you are smart enough and everyone else is smart enough to determine what you want to believe and who you want to hear things from.

I don't need big brother to warn me on the dangers of smoking, crossing the street without looking both ways, let alone that Lou Dobbs might give me 'dangerous' ideas, dangerous for whom?

For the people who don't agree with them?

My whole point was not about the validity of Beck, it was about do we need thought police and minders.

Obviously the divisions you speak of have already occured before Beck or Hannity, or Matthews or OReily showed up on the scene, and the united that too many people and I fear you might be one of them is take word for word what the politicians and talking heads I agree with or you are being lied to and in danger and represent a danger.

That's not what freedom of speech, freedom of the press, or a right to self determination is about.

What you might not get is that what is really what's dividing the country, is that some people love being told what to do and then telling others to do the same.

Some people don't like being told what to do, by authority and by those determined to bow to that authority.

The point is that it's not Beck or any of them dividing the country, it's the whole culture of lies and intollerence all the way around.

[edit on 17/9/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Really? Does it now. Show me. Prove it to me. You can't aside from your own personal hatred for Beck. This is what I am talking about. LISTEN TO EVERYTHING! Then form a conclusion or a stance. But of course that would be intellectually honest. Too much work for partisans. I am not defending Beck I am attacking peoples' lack of dilligence.

I have listened to it on many occasions, that is why I dislike him on a personal and intellectual level. He is pandering to peoples fear, he leads people to a conclusion all the while batting his eye lashes like a little biotch, masquerading as an analyst and reporter. He is a partisan actor, sale man who has mastered the whisper campaign,
the simple art of fear based manipulation. Why would anyone who wants to form an
individual nuanced opinion listening to a show that is based upon pure asserted conclusion? Because it is geared toward them, because it nourishes them and it reinforces the worst possible scenario by design, exactly because these are such difficult times. A perfect window of opportunity to reestablish a party that was without traction, a party that BECKS station has champion time and time again. Your revolution
will be the GOP, doing the same stuff the GOP did this last decade, nothing more.

I seem to recognize that BECKS show is funded with ad dollars provided by the same institutions who degrade our nation with their slow and steady coup. I think you have confused television with scholarly works and intellectual insight.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Reality check for you: You do actually know that it was Tina Fey and not Palin that said, "I can see Russia from my house", right?

Uh yeah, but she just slightly paraphrased a bit.......

Just checking your facts ...

Ditto. Me too.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

So you are trying to tell me that Beck is a GOP sockpuppet? I can agree he does seem like it at times. However you still have not addressed the thread at hand. You keep wanting to bring this to a partisan us versus them attitude. Obsfucation won't get you anywhere with me my friend.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Your modulating again my friend! Have you thought of switching to Sanka?

*snip*

The point is that it's not Beck or any of them dividing the country, it's the whole culture of lies and intollerence all the way around.

You accused me of modulating and then went on to defend the right and merits of free speech? I chose the modality I did because it was a post after the OP that motivated me to jump in and exercise my right to free speech. At the same time I can believe in free speech and still believe someone is purposefully trying to incite fear and anger.
Provided violence might or does occur because of Beck social commentary, then I would say that is dangerous, as the nature of the word refers to a repercussion that has yet to occur.

If you do not feel Becks efforts have been instrumental in shaping division and framing the specifics of discourse then I think you need cut your trip short and travel your butt back to reality PDQ.

Finally, I will say for a group of people who don't like being told what to do, many are not acting in such a manner. The individualist outlook underscored with such a singular group mentality is very interesting to say the last, speaking of Becks followers of course.

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 17-9-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   

So you are trying to tell me that Beck is a GOP sockpuppet? I can agree he does seem like it at times. However you still have not addressed the thread at hand. You keep wanting to bring this to a partisan us versus them attitude. Obsfucation won't get you anywhere with me my friend.

Yes that is what I am saying, are the implications not perfectly clear? In our great two
party nation what would the alternative. BECK has taken a movement with TWO main objectives, ditched them and turned the whole thing into a celebration of anger and all that obscures non partisan debate. How can anyone have a civil discussion when participants are being accused of supporting a Nazi like agenda, or racist on the other side? Answer is you can't -

BTW you ask me anything you want, I cannot read your mind, therefore I cannot respond directly to your charge of obsfucation.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by mental modulator]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Mad Man: Is Glenn Beck Bad for America?

maybe so, but after watching glenn beck for a couple months now, i have to say ....

i think too much america has proven to be bad for glenn beck.

i seriously think his psychi is facing a lot of conflict in logic.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mental modulator

Yes that is what I am saying, are the implications not perfectly clear? I our great two
party nation what would the alternative. BECK has taken a movement with TWO main objectives, ditched them and turned the whole thing into a celebration of anger and all that obscures non partisan debate. How can anyone have a civil discussion when participants are being accused of supporting a Nazi like agenda, or racist on the other side? Answer is you can't -

BTW you ask me anything you want, I cannot read your mind, therefore I cannot respond directly to your charge of obsfucation.

Yeah, as a person that watches Glenn Beck from time to time, I actually can see how he is promoting fear and anger. I mean, let Obama do his job. I don't see any extreme drastic changes he has done yet that is very worrisome. Just normal politics as usual. No different really than Bush.

Yet, it is like Obama is worse or on par with Hitler and his ideology with some of these pundits out there. I am just not buying the fear and anger. I think it is actually going to make things much worse, not better.

So in the meantime, let Obama do his job, and see what he can do. If he messes up, which their is a high chance that he will knowing the way liberals think, then vote him out in 2012. Unfortunately, I just think there are going to be other circumstances before than that will change the world forever, so likely voting for a President in 2012 might not be an actual reality.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
FOX fought in court for its right to lie to its viewers, and it won. FOX was sued by an employee who felt pressured to distort and omit facts - the journalist won the case but the victory was overturned on appeal. The appeals court ruled that FOX's lawyers were right in arguing that FOX is under no obligation to tell the truth to its viewers.

Cable news - journalism for ratings? Sorry, no sale. It's nonsense. Their credibility is ZERO.

FOX News - for entertainment purposes only.

Glen is just one face of that glimmering, multi-faceted poo gem of a network. They look spiffy, with their banners and their graphics and their awesome set pieces, but once you get past all that you find out they're full of crap.

Once in a great while he'll bang the small government drum and I'll watch it on youtube and find myself nodding in agreement, but his brand of journalism only serves to polarize debate and stamp out rational discourse. The American people should do themselves a favor and stop tuning in to that coprophageous tool.

In my view, FOX's popularity is pretty convincing evidence that democracy is doomed to fail. We're too stupid to govern ourselves, plain and simple. Sad, no doubt, but true...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Hi proto,

I have been going on the record. I think GB is doing some good, BUT he is nothing more than friendly opposition.

The masses to some degree are waking up, and the Elite have to play a sticky game, but they always have, and like it.

GB is their answer to combating a growing number of People waking up, and standing up. It's a dangerous game because imo it only works by giving up enough information to make the masses waking trust him, or any "point of Light" as the grand shepherd.

Now, with giving any information to empower, and re divert a movement it is a risky move. Compare it to starting a fire. Sometimes You can control the fire, but then again; there's the ole' saying which goes something like,"When You play with fire You will get burnt".

Oh, one final note about GB:
"The best way to control the opposition is to lead it." - Lenin

S&F

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
FOX fought in court for its right to lie to its viewers, and it won. FOX was sued by an employee who felt pressured to distort and omit facts - the journalist won the case but the victory was overturned on appeal. The appeals court ruled that FOX's lawyers were right in arguing that FOX is under no obligation to tell the truth to its viewers.

Cable news - journalism for ratings? Sorry, no sale. It's nonsense. Their credibility is ZERO.

FOX News - for entertainment purposes only.

Glen is just one face of that glimmering, multi-faceted poo gem of a network. They look spiffy, with their banners and their graphics and their awesome set pieces, but once you get past all that you find out they're full of crap.

Once in a great while he'll bang the small government drum and I'll watch it on youtube and find myself nodding in agreement, but his brand of journalism only serves to polarize debate and stamp out rational discourse. The American people should do themselves a favor and stop tuning in to that coprophageous tool.

In my view, FOX's popularity is pretty convincing evidence that democracy is doomed to fail. We're too stupid to govern ourselves, plain and simple. Sad, no doubt, but true...

But come on! You have to admit, MSNBC and liberal mainstream media is no better, probably worse in many ways. It is good that there are Glenn Beck's, O'Reillys, Lou Dobbs to see another viewpoint. But honestly I think Beck when he got his new show on FOX, his ego took off and I have seen it. Even O'Reilly questions Beck's viewpoints when Beck is on his show. Beck in a lot of ways is becoming to much of a fanatical right wing goon, instead of a more level-headed debate as Dobbs and O'Reilly have lately done.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Fair enough. THIS COUNTRY IS BROKEN. How can we fix it?
second line

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join