It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science is finally taking a new approach, a CURE for religion.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by Sundancer

No religion does not kill, humans kill. If religion didn't exist, I'm sure humans would find plenty of other reasons to kill instead, which is proven daily.

Also most of the so called religious wars are based on "politics" as the main agenda.

No. Religion causes humans to kill, it's pretty simple and proven countless times to be the case. To say religion does not kill is a cop out. You think some of these extremists could still get whipped up into a suicidal frenzy without the genetic predisposition to become religious or follow something with blind faith? It is that genetic flaw that needs to be removed so humanity can advance.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

You are correct religion doesn't kill, people kill for religion.

Religious wars are based on the politics that religions people created for the religious reasons as the main agenda.

Religious wars are just that, wars fought by the religious for the religious. But no worries, Christians will always be around because they will always blame their choice on politics or whatever else.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by reasonable

No. Religion causes humans to kill, it's pretty simple and proven countless times to be the case. To say religion does not kill is a cop out. You think some of these extremists could still get whipped up into a suicidal frenzy without the genetic predisposition to become religious or follow something with blind faith? It is that genetic flaw that needs to be removed so humanity can advance.

I don't know.

But I think part of the problem is thinking that the world would be better off without some kind of people you don't desire (religous people etc). Beacause that's the SAME kind of thinking the extremists have.....

I think it's kind of arrogant and extremist to think your better than others and others not yourself have genetic flaws. Religous extremism talk and cure for religion talk is all the same thinking to me.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Reply to post by _Phoenix_

I agree. I've said it a million times that religon is just a mask for wars and murder. It's the person not the religion. It's the interpretation not the book.

Wars are waged for power. That's it. POWER. Not for religious persecution, not for anything except POWER. Go ahead, mention the crusades and then try to say how it isn't a power crusade being masked by religon. Think about it people.

My personal religion has NEVER done harm to anyone. Nor will it in the future cause harm. I am not psychologically or genetically damaged goods. Open your eyes and ears and give me a break. I am growing tired of the accusations against religion.

Don't judge a book(God) by it's cover(organised religion).

May your eyes and ears be opened to TRUTH.

A2D

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   

People would not have a sense of loss after the cure, they would have a sense of awakening, of self reliance, of freedom and liberation to think for themselves. It would be a euphoric state. Quite like someone who was hooked on drugs for years and then given a treatment to cure them of the addiction.. they would get their life back, their mind back. We are talking about liberating people, I see nothing bad about that.

Wow you sort of make it sound like a religion.

You sure you don't have the genetic flaw too!?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I don't know.

But I think part of the problem is thinking that the world would be better off without some kind of people you don't desire (religous people etc). Beacause that's the SAME kind of thinking the extremists have.....

I think it's kind of arrogant and extremist to think your better than others and others not yourself have genetic flaws. Religous extremism talk and cure for religion talk is all the same thinking to me.

It's not extremist to want the best for humanity. Religions core strengths are to follow without question, stifle education, stifle science, STIFLE HUMAN ADVANCEMENT. This cannot be denied, religion is designed to hold us back PERIOD. So if it is extremist to be against that, then fine, I'm an extremist. Athiest agenda is to question everything, think for yourself, embrace science, embrace EDUCATION, rational thought, denounce war, human rights (not "God hates fags" and torturing Iraqis), environmental concerns, welfare towards fellow man -basically everything we need to be doing to make this world a better place. There is not a single thing Religion has to offer that makes it worth keeping around. Is it crazy to blame the world's problems on religion? Just look around!

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   

It's not extremist to want the best for humanity. Religions core strengths are to follow without question, stifle education, stifle science, STIFLE HUMAN ADVANCEMENT. This cannot be denied, religion is designed to hold us back PERIOD. So if it is extremist to be against that, then fine, I'm an extremist. Athiest agenda is to question everything, think for yourself, embrace science, embrace EDUCATION, rational thought, denounce war, human rights (not "God hates fags" and torturing Iraqis), environmental concerns, welfare towards fellow man -basically everything we need to be doing to make this world a better place. There is not a single thing Religion has to offer that makes it worth keeping around. Is it crazy to blame the world's problems on religion? Just look around!

Well isn't that what religion also wants? the best for humanity from their own point of view?

Religions corse strengths are not what you state, those are simply what some people claim or follow.

For example in Islam, in the quran it tells you to question things(don't follow others without investigation yourself first), to educate yourself.

You say "Athiest agenda is to question everything, think for yourself, embrace science, embrace EDUCATION, rational thought, denounce war, human rights"

This is also part of the religon Islam. Just not what you see in the media.

My point is, your putting everyone in ONE group, just as the extremists do. You put them in one group and judge them all as one. When infact each are individuals with different beliefs, ways of thinking. Yet you put them in one group say they are all geneticly flawed as if their minds are on drugs and when cured they would all feel free and think in YOUR way, which of course to you is the "best" way. You want people to think just like you, maybe your afraid of those who think differently.

To me it seems ironic.

Anyway I mean no offence by any of this, you have the right to feel how you do. I see nothing to come out of this debate except we will have to agree to disagree

Peace.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I think part of the problem is thinking that the world would be better off without some kind of people you don't desire (religous people etc)

Maybe you and I read a different post. I didn;t think anyone was saying the world would be better off without those people in it. It was suggested that if there was a "cure" for religion it might be good to use it, making those people better people because it would stop the killing done for religion.

I said, that I believed the religious people would choose to continue on as they had even if they knew the killing would stop if they used the cure for religion. They would make up excuses and so on to continue their religion saying that their religion never hurt anyone. I know Christians can't truthfully say that, but they make up the rules as they go along.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

The brain and body work together to create a personal perspective of the environment around the individual. Hence, since we all have had different opportunities, experiences of good and bad, and our personality mold also leads to ones personal perspectives from what their brain and body have gathered and processed.

Religion is one thing....Spirituality is another.

Spirituality has been a part of mankind forever. It seems to be wired into the human makeup being that more of the world then not seems to feel a 'higher self' or what ever one wants to call it. Spirituality is very philosophical. One theories and ponders because they really seek and dont just accept, like what religion wants people to do.

Religions serve a purpose, even through all the wars and separation. We as a species need these catalysts because we have to learn through experience of what is a higher prime way for us as a whole.

Even though religions bring separations which is yes not a good path for us humans as a whole.....(it is keeping us from moving forward on this sphere in many ways yes)....these beings that feel the need to follow a belief have things to learn and nature will do that some how some way.

Its not so much the religion in itself.....its the fanatics that believe they must harm others to do Higher Will.

Believers should not have need to harp on non believers just as though non believers should not have the need to harp on believers. We all have birth rights.

No one should have the right to change my nature I am born with. My nurture in life will also shape me and my path. My environment will also factor into my processing of this world and my reality. If all of these things are factors in my character later in life....how can there be a gene that affects all of those things to not be a factor. You would have to take away my imagination, my curiosities, the part of my mind that likes to theorize, try to be philosophical, then also I doubt I would be able to dream sense a dream could give me the thought that there may be a higher self or something.....or seeing a ghost or having a OBE or NDE may spark a curious mind into pondering such things like 'what if' also.

No gene could take away all of those things that can lead one to be a believer in a religion or a path of spirituality.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Well isn't that what religion also wants? the best for humanity from their own point of view?

Religions corse strengths are not what you state, those are simply what some people claim or follow.

For example in Islam, in the quran it tells you to question things(don't follow others without investigation yourself first), to educate yourself.

You say "Athiest agenda is to question everything, think for yourself, embrace science, embrace EDUCATION, rational thought, denounce war, human rights"

This is also part of the religon Islam. Just not what you see in the media.

My point is, your putting everyone in ONE group, just as the extremists do. You put them in one group and judge them all as one. When infact each are individuals with different beliefs, ways of thinking. Yet you put them in one group say they are all geneticly flawed as if their minds are on drugs and when cured they would all feel free and think in YOUR way, which of course to you is the "best" way. You want people to think just like you, maybe your afraid of those who think differently.

To me it seems ironic.

No. I am afraid of extremists and what they are doing to mankind's advancement (terrified actually). The religious & religious extremists are inherently connected, the both have genetic attribute that allows following of blind faith, etc. So the mindset is if getting rid of the extremists means also having to get rid of the non-extremists as a side effect it is worth it. The most alarming trend lately (as seen with tea partys) is the transition of general religious to extremists. Fine, go ahead and defend religion but I will fight tooth and nail for the human race and it's advancement out of the bowels of superstition and primitive behavior.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I suppose you have to know God already to see that He wants a PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP.

Religion is a man made thing. And what does man crave? If you said POWER I have a cookie for you. Man is corrupt. No matter how pretty you paint it, a bad apple is a bad apple. They've tried to make religion into a beautiful thing but it remains a man made ideal with man made agendas.

To blame religion, I suppose is not completely horrible seeing as how it is corrupt. To blame God on the otherhand is horrifically inconceivable. To say that there is a genetic disorder causing faith in God is to deny the characteristics of human beings.

Humans are by nature social creatures. We long for companionship, be it in a pet, a family, a significant other, or an almighty God.

Hold on, startling news just in, I have the cure for atheism. Christianity for all! Let me start that thread and see how frustrated you get...

A2D

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
FRIENDS... IT IS A SHAME THAT THE PREMISE OF THE STATEMENT IS THAT THERE IS A "CURE" FOR RELIGION... AS IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH FAITH IN GOD OR A GOD OR HIGHER POWER. I AM A CHRISTIAN AND IT IS NOT THE FAITH OR BELEIF THAT HAS SO WROUGHT HAVOCK ON HUMAN HISTORY, BUT THE MANGLING OF THAT VERY FAITH AND ITS WORDS BY MEN. MEN WHO , BY THEIR VERY NATURE ARE WEAK, ABITIOUS, SELFISH, HATEFUL, HURTFUL, AND SINFUL. IT IS THROUGH FAITH AND DEVOTION THAT WE BETTER OURSELVES...

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Agree2Disagree

Nicely said.

By the way nice name haha. Sometimes it's best to agree2disagree in many things in life.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

No gene could take away all of those things that can lead one to be a believer in a religion or a path of spirituality.

There is absolutely no way you could know this. My mind is incapable of following religious belief. My imagination and desire to ponder the world are fine thank you very much. So.. something biological has caused my mind to have such traits preventing me from being a blind follower. I have a skeptics mind. This is a physical/genetic trait, just as a concert pianist has a gift for music. I could use gene therapy to make someone else a concert pianist, I could use gene therapy to turn a concert pianist into a non-musician. It CAN be done it is just a matter of knowing which biological code to manipulate. Your brain CAN be changed into a non-religious prone brain.. not with today's technology, but it is coming.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by reasonable]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Reply to post by reasonable

But what makes your genetic markers any different than those you claim inhibit believers? Who is to say which one is the "disorder"?

To be or not to be>>>To be-lieve or not to be-lieve.

Perhaps the hostility stems from the generalisation of the thread title. I believe you would have been much better off saying something along the lines of "cure for extremism".

Spirituality in and of itself is not bad. It's the interpretation that leads to trouble friend.

A2D

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agree2Disagree

But what makes your genetic markers any different than those you claim inhibit believers? Who is to say which one is the "disorder"?

To be or not to be>>>To be-lieve or not to be-lieve.

Perhaps the hostility stems from the generalisation of the thread title. I believe you would have been much better off saying something along the lines of "cure for extremism".

Spirituality in and of itself is not bad. It's the interpretation that leads to trouble friend.

A2D

If my markers were the same I would be gullible, easily fooled, open to manipulation, etc etc etc. I have none of those markers.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by reasonable]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Can I ask your age?

Some would call you an extremist that is just as dangerous as a religious extremist.

How do you know your not a mutation?

You really thing another human would have that right to take away another humans rights to use their own mind and logic the way they wish. What if I wanted to take away your logic and mind due to the way you think?

Are you American? Last I heard Americans still are hoping to stay a free place even though we are fighting hard to keep it that way at times.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

and you're saying that I do?

You're judgement is fallible friend. IMO, (please do not take this the wrong way) I view your statement in likeness with that of the Nazi regime - being that for whatever reason you seem to think that your genetic markers are superior to those that are religious or spiritual.

Again, please do not take that statement the wrong way.

A2D

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo

Can I ask your age?

Some would call you an extremist that is just as dangerous as a religious extremist.

How do you know your not a mutation?

You really thing another human would have that right to take away another humans rights to use their own mind and logic the way they wish. What if I wanted to take away your logic and mind due to the way you think?

Are you American? Last I heard Americans still are hoping to stay a free place even though we are fighting hard to keep it that way at times.

I'm in my late 30's ex American. I left after the USA was destroyed by christian evangelicals. You want to alter me then tell me why, show me how it could make the world a better place. What are you going to say? Please let us change you so that you will follow the Vatican and do as you are told, let us change you so you can justify war based on superstition, hatred and racism. Let us change you so you need a crutch and cannot exist unless you give yourself to an imaginary being..

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Holy, or is it, unholy crap! Destroy free will, engineer a world that suits who? Science isn't finding a cure, they would be find a way to neuter freedom and freewill. Why don't the "Find the gene" that causes people to disprove of religion and spray that in your face? What a perverted and maniacal concept is this to promote. Why not find the gene that causes children to smile and spray the antidote in their faces. Who are the divine authorities that think they have an f'ing clue about humanity, decency, truth, justice, or anything livable want to sucker people into thinking this is a great idea?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join