It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Labour be Wiped Out?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Labour doesn't seem to be too popular at moment, or more precisely their leader.

Nine months at most from a general election, a Populus poll for The Times suggests that 48 per cent of voters believe that “literally anyone” from Labour’s ranks could do better, without naming alternatives

Source

I can see a Conservative victory coming in the next election though I doubt much will actually change. Two sides of the same coin, a pendulum swinging back and forth is my description

If we take a look at how the Commons is currently divided you'll see that Labour doesn't have a big majority.

With so much dislike of Labour it's hard to see them winning the general election, in fact I'll put my neck out and say that their number of MPs will be reduced to below 125. Basically I see a big shift Right in British Politics but will it actually change the country for the better.

Could Labour win under a new leader? I can't see any real Leader among the rest though I imagine one would come from the Cabinet if anywhere.

But would they be any better than Brown? Opinions on any particular one of them?

I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I'll be bumping this up, surely someone has an opinion on this issue.

Where do you see UK politics in a 12 months?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I do have an opinion...

I think they're making themselves unelectable, in the same way that the Tories made themselves unelectable in the latter years of Major.

There comes a point I think, where a party has been in power so long that they start believing their own press - Labour has got to that stage. They've stopped listening to the public, and started dictating to it instead.

And that is never a good thing.

I think the next election will be one of the most open in years. Possibly big gains for the Lib Dems, although I expect the Tories will win it.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The only thing that could save this present Labour Government would be a "Falklands" style event and looking around the world and at this Government's handling of Iraq and Afganistan, the vast majority of Labour MPs should be updating their CVs and get use to living on a lot less.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I don't think the Lib Dems will really have any great gains, public perception of them as a "third party" won't help, plus the policies they advocate for really aren't to different from Labour.

Instead I think the public will shift more towards the minor right wing parties - BNP and UKIP for example.

Looking at this graph.

It's like a pendulum swinging backwards and forwards between the Tories and Labour. Interesting how voting numbers have gone down in the past 10 years.

9 Labour wins and 8 Conservative, we're stuck in a rut really.

Agree with you on how they have stopped listening to the public, they just keep spouting a load of rhetoric about doing the "best for Britain".

Do you think they will get rid of Brown before the next election? Who would be the next leader?

ERP - Looking at their CV's (cabinet) most went straight into politics from Uni.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
It's looking as though the Conservatives (Tories) will win the election in May/June next year, but after dealing with the national debt by cutting public spending and increaing taxes, the Labour Party just have to wait about 8 years and they will be back. The whole electoral sysytem in the UK needs a radical shake up.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Like you said, does it matter who you vote for, as nothing will change much. Whoever gets into power, it will be the same agenda, which will be the EU all the way. Once the EU treaty becomes finalised, then this country and democracy is probably gone for good.

The Labour architect of the EU's Lisbon Treaty has warned it puts the future of democracy in Britain at stake.

Former health minister Gisela Stuart said the treaty breached the fundamental democratic principle that voters can get rid of those in power.
Just weeks before the Irish are asked to vote again on the measure, she said it would also allow the EU to launch future power grabs completely unchecked.

Miss Stuart is a pro-European who sat on the committee which drew up the original EU Constitution, later repackaged as the Lisbon Treaty.

www.openeurope.org.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.guardian.co.uk...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 19-9-2009 by kindred]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by alien life uk

Will they really cut spending meaningfully? There's so much Government in England that I'm sure that some of it is simply wasteful. Making a few cuts won't be enough.

All the politically correct programs, Quango's, excesses and red tape.....big Government all round, yet we don't hear about the idea of significantly reducing the size of it.

I'm not so sure Labour will come back from the dead, after all they can't be NEW New Labour.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chilled Zen
I'll be bumping this up, surely someone has an opinion on this issue.

Where do you see UK politics in a 12 months?

The Tories will achieve a convincing win at the election, perhaps not as big a shift as Labour managed in 1997 but significant nonetheless.

Labour will implode as it seeks out a new leader and direction. I cannot think of anyone in their current party who is a suitable candidate as leader. I reckon Lord Evil might make a play for it, probably attempting backdoor deals but the public loathe him and rightly so.

I reckon that eventually, the current bunch will fade away into retirement and the private sector and the party will return to its more traditional values.

But anything can happen, we're in uncharted territory nationally and globally on a variety of levels. Strong judgement and leadership should a crisis occur can change the game entirely but i don't think Brown has it in him. He's a defeated man.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Chilled Zen

I agree with your assessment of a shift to the more right leaning parties at the next general election and I can see both UKIP and BNP getting an MP.

Can you imagine those results being called. It would make it worth staying up for.

So what worth while jobs can the vast majority of Labour MPs do with no real experience of life?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
phoenix- Mandelson is really hated by both the party and most of the people. No way he becomes Leader.

reply to post by Freedom ERP

Some Cabinet members will likely be able to get places on the board of directors for big UK companies, John Hutton is going to EDF Energy instead of standing in the next election.

As for the rest I'm sure they'll make every effort not to increase the unemployment figures.

Road Sweepers perhaps?

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
As the law stands Mandleson cannot stand as an MP because of his Peerage. I doubt very much if people would vote for him if he gave up his Peerage and stood as MP, he must be one of the most hated people in British politics.

Imo The Tories will win this election and Labour will have to return to their roots if they hope to be elected in the future. I think the Lib Dems could take second place.

I doubt the BNP will make much headway, when push comes to shove the British people will not vote for a bunch of racists. Local and European elections are an entirely different kettle of fish, it is where we can protest.
UKIP will probably do well as many of us are troubled by the power the EU now has.

Be interesting to look back after the elections and see how far off the mark I am.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
ah-hem, since when has the World quit revolving around the USA???

Um, I am not from England, but I know the Labour party is really screwing up. People are becoming angry from what I've read, and these creeps in suits are not as forthcoming with being politicians; as they are being assaulted here, and there.

I am sure many Brits will agree that with the current unrest; rather than settling for the next shade, or flavor of corrupt jerk wad soup. The numbers of unhappy brits are now becoming strong enough to demand better representatives, and ****accountability*****

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The current labour government has screwed things up incredibly, but there's no way i would EVER vote Conservative.

So, looks like another spoiled ballot for me.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Look at the Parliamentary Expenses Scandal, MP from both sides were claiming huge amounts of money for nothing, basically they abusing their power.

Problem is when we do protest the police crackdown on it so hard (G20) that they cause bitter resentment. We need huge protests across the country, stopping traffic where needed to make them realise that they work for us.

dizzylizzy - I see the BNP picking up 3-5 seats mainly from Labour marginals, after all they won 2 seats in the European elections.

CRB - Why would you never vote conservative? Not saying they are better but why spoil your vote when there are 3rd parties to choose from.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country. Whoever i vote for will be a wasted vote, so i might aswell spoil it.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by CRB86

And I guess you are far from alone in this country CRB86, there must be millions of voters who exercise the right to vote knowing that it will not make a difference with their MP. Of course, it starts to beg the question if we have the right system but that is for another thread and I know have been discussed on ATS.

At least you are making the effort to attend the polling station rather than millions that will not bother and then complain but I guess in a democracy, people have the right to vote or not vote

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

Some areas have ingrained voting patterns, they vote for the same party no matter what. Take Devon for instance, very conservative area.

Hopefully the amount of voters will increase this year, even if they only vote to get rid of Labour.

Just a thought but would it be better if some of the countries bigger decisions were taken by plebiscite? Might stop some on the more ridiculous stuff happening.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I live in Devon my MP is Richard Younger-Ross Lib Dem, as is most of Devon.The local county council elections saw a Tory majority for the first time for twenty years, they gained 19 seats mainly from Lib Dems.

If people feel disinclined to vote for any of the three major parties, vote for one of the others, if more people do this it will make them sit up.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

Many people vote for the "other party" hoping things will change. Voting for a third party takes more effort as you have to research them, some people are too lazy.

I didn't realise most of the local councils were Lib Dem and had only recently changed, learn something everyday.

I should follow the local elections more closely.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join