It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Vast Majority of Americans Are Moderates...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Obviously this is hardly reflected in places like ATS.

Its always those that shout the loudest are the ones that get heard the most.

The question is how do we appeal to those who have a hard time conveying their views when they arent the ones standing up and screaming at the town halls...or even going for that matter?

How can the voice of reason that had been at the heart of American philosophy for the first 200 years of American existence (not shared by the extreme right or the bleeding heart leftists) come to the forefront of American politics and policy once again?

Never more should apathy allow those who wish to impose their beliefs and "standards" wreak havoc on America and her foundations.

The only way is to create a new paradigm of "old" thought...if that makes sense... In my opinion it is time to reject both sides and begin anew.

The simplistic wisdom of our predecessors is greatly under appreciated in todays time of geo-politics and world economic policies...

I hope this is a step in the right direction. It is the responsibility of moderates who recognize what insanity that is todays American politics to spread the message of liberty and the vision of our forefathers...

heres a start...

progressivelibertarian.com

Special thanks to WarrenB

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I suspect most Americans don't identify very strongly with an ideological "side" - they approach things on an issue-by-issue basis.

I think this is a more rational approach anyway.

Principle and pragmatism should be our guidelines, not ideology.

Here on ATS I suspect we have a lot more people who identify with some ideological movement or other than there are among the population as a hole.

On web forums the "true believers" tend to post more, and the "fence sitters" tend to lurk more IMO.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This reminds me of that great moderate motto............

"Give me Liberty, or give me......hey what do you guys think?"

I can easily name off numerous Conservatives and I can also name off numerous Liberals. How many Moderates can you name off the top of your head?

Identity politics....As a Conservative I can easily identify with Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin etc. I'm sure Liberals can identify with Mr. Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid. Who do Moderates identify with? John McCain, Arlen Spector, Olympia Snowe???? I don't know...you tell me?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

simple dude...ron paul

i believe you are mistaken when you call the likes of rush limbaug "conservative"... they dont convey conservativ evalues at all from some of the things i have heard.

in my mind he easily can be categorized as extreme...neo con if you will...

cnn..bbc are much closer to moderation..at least they give both sides a voice...

there are many other moderates..our founding fathers were moderates...you/they look for objectivity...not for others that just agree with you because you want to be right..

i listened to hannity spew his nonsense about iran and iraq...since then i cant stand the guy...even when he is right...but i can admit when he is right...thats a moderate...and as much as i cant stand olberman..i can admit and see when he is actually telling what it is he believes and not just ranting and raving because his party is pulling his strings...rare...certainly..but i will never jump off the deep end just because some talking head tells me to.

thats a moderate...

rush limbaugh... conservative...
...thats a gas!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs

in my mind he easily can be categorized as extreme...neo con if you will...

You have to be a liberal before you can become a neo con. Rush Limbaugh has never been a liberal.

CNN??? Are you kidding...2 of the biggest stories in the last month...ACORN and Van Jones would have never been known if you exclusively watched CNN.

Founding Fathers...moderates....decaring independence, creating a new country, and fighting for it was a real moderate thing to do.
A real moderate would have tried to sit down with King George and tried to work out a compromise.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I thought it was commonly accepted that the Bell Curve is the normal distribution model of probability theory and statistics, where data will always tend to cluster around a mean or average.

If you take the half-way point between two extremes of data this becomes the median. The majority of all statistics will cluster around that median, with the minority distributed between the expanse between the median and polemic end.

No surprise here.

But the way people the extremists to both sides of the Bell Curve yell and kick and scream, you'd think it would be the other way around!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   

he is a liberal...a liberal with american lives...sacrificing them for there globalization agendas...oil+neocon= globalization

conservative doesnt mean christian...nor does it mean militant.

it means your ideologies are based on "tradition and status quo"...

since when has the status quo been to destroy opposite belief systems or anything that is a danger to capitalism and globalization?

conservative he is not...moderate he is not...extremist..absolutely.., (again, only based on the snippets i have heard him speak...but to me that is enough)

olbermann bleeding heart liberal...extremist? maybe one could provide an argument for that...from listening to a few of his rantings...makes me want to throw up...or at least shove the vomit that comes out of his mouth back down his food opening...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Founding Fathers...moderates....decaring independence, creating a new country, and fighting for it was a real moderate thing to do. A real moderate would have tried to sit down with King George and tried to work out a compromise.

Not all the founding fathers wanted to go to war...there was much deliberation and there were more "nays" than "yays" until the petitions wer declined and ignored by the king..

so yes many of the founding fathers were moderates.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
This reminds me of that great moderate motto............

"Give me Liberty, or give me......hey what do you guys think?"

I can easily name off numerous Conservatives and I can also name off numerous Liberals. How many Moderates can you name off the top of your head?

Identity politics....As a Conservative I can easily identify with Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Sarah Palin etc. I'm sure Liberals can identify with Mr. Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid. Who do Moderates identify with? John McCain, Arlen Spector, Olympia Snowe???? I don't know...you tell me?

In my opinion (as a moderate) we agree with the positive sides of both parties. Or to put it more accurately, see above and beyond politics to the overall good of the country. I have a hard time believing in politics in general because I think there are no honest politicians. All there is, is an agenda.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion65

Indeed. I find the overwhelming feeling the vast majority of politicians have been corrupted by the career politicians who sit in their office all day and give head to the mega corporations and lobbyists...or vica versa...

some will come out and put on a moderate mask...and some even hold moderate views...but when it comes time to vote their ethics go out the door for $$...

i am reserving hope through people like ron paul...there are others who share the same views as paul, but of course hes the big dog in the small world of uncorrupted politicians...

new topics

top topics

join