It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NewsBreak: Nuke agency says Iran can make bomb

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   
In answer to my own questions above, I went looking and found three strikingly different versions of events.

1) The IAEA says Iran has "sufficient information" to produce a nuclear bomb (which was my main question: "How far along, precisely, is the IAEA saying Iran now is?" Apparently they are claimed to be saying that they merely have "sufficient information.")

www.asianews.it...

2) The IAEA is concealing a secret report indicating that Iran worked on a "nuclear warhead." (Another part of my question. "Are they saying they have the means to manufacture and deploy a nuclear weapon?")

www.guardian.co.uk...

3) The IAEA is denying that it has any proof that Iran has or ever had a covert nuclear weapons development program, and says that reports that they are concealing secret data regarding Iran's nuclear weapons program are politically motivated and false:

VIENNA (Reuters) - The U.N. nuclear agency has no proof that Iran has or once had a covert atomic bomb program, it said on Thursday, dismissing a report that it had concluded Iran was on its way to producing nuclear weapons. The International Atomic Energy Agency reaffirmed IAEA chief Mohamed ElBaradei's September 9 comment that allegations the agency was sitting on evidence of Iranian bomb work were "politically motivated and baseless."

www.reuters.com...

As usual, I have no means of proving any of the myriad versions of this story floating around.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by chips
Breaking:

Ahmadinejad: Tackling Israel is a national duty; Ahmadinejad: Zionist regime will not last long; its life has come to an end

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Friday the Holocaust was a "lie" and a pretext to create a Jewish state that Iranians had a religious duty to confront.

"The pretext (Holocaust) for the creation of the Zionist regime (Israel) is false ... It is a lie based on an unprovable and mythical claim," he told worshippers at Tehran University at the end of annual anti-Israel Quds Day rally.

"Confronting the Zionist regime is a national and religious duty," the Iranian president said.

"This regime [Israel] will not last long. Do not tie your fate to it?. This regime has no future. Its life has come to an end," he said in the speech broadcasted live on state radio.

(Source: haaretz.com)

What a load of BS you quoted from that site!

Changing regime to (Israel) is realy pushing the boat out!
Pretext suddenly becomes (Holocaust) Zionist regime becomes(Israel)

Looks to me like he was stating that the zionist regime was created for the religious reasons(more lies)that god gave them that land!Hence the mythical claim part in there!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Defense | 17.09.2009
US targets Russian support on Iran with shield reverse, say experts

Obama hopes for Russian support for his policy on Iran
Scrapping the US missile shield project has more to do with Iran than just its perceived lack of current threat, say experts. Removing the barrier to dialogue with Russia could give the US a powerful ally against Tehran.

www.dw-world.de...

It is all connected.

Indeed! I was saying almost the exact same thing to my partner. The way I see it is that the US and Russia will be sharing the spoils, (i.e massive oil reserves). Where does this leave a growing nation like China? Out in the cold?

Expect China to start prodding North Korea with a red hot poker again. Perhaps I'm seeing dots where there are none? Time will tell!

IRM

[edit on 18/9/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Well, they do say that if you want something done right, do it yourself! Thanks for that: star

I think its worth bearing in mind that any pair of bright people with degrees in mechanical engineering & physics/chemistry have the knowledge to build a nuclear weapon. They might not get it right 1st time, but assuming they didn't die of cancer, they would eventually. Any decent engineering workshop has the means to machine the parts. The only thing "any" person doesn't have is shed loads of yellowcake to refine into weapons grade uranium & anyone who does have that has the IAEA all over them.
IAEA sitting on a secret document; unsubstantiated leaked reports; or the statement from the horse's mouth? I suppose it all depends whether we believe there is political capital to be made from a new round of demonising Iran, or if the IAEA have a political agenda of their own.
Perhaps the NWO are using the IAEA to secretly arm Iran, to make their minority sect of Islam the 1 World Religion? You know, because Iran is poised to become a superpower... all they need is IAEA co-operation for a decade or 2 to build up stockpiles of nukes & we're all doomed! Doomed I tell ye!

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Changing regime to (Israel) is realy pushing the boat out!

Hahahahah... oh, you're being serious.

Ahmadinejad mentioned the 'pretext of Jewish sufferings' (the Holocaust) in his UN speech.

youtube.com/watch?v=pZtSBl_4o4o

And just a hunch, dear, but by 'Zionist regime,' I think he was referring to Israel.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:21 AM
link   
NEWSBREAK: Anyone with a library card and a bunch of money can make a nuke!!!

This whole [insert current bad guy] can make a nuke at any moment stuff is getting old.

Got some news for you, making a nuclear weapon is not hard. The only difficult part is enriching the uranium, and if you have a modern lab like any modern government likely would, even that isn't really that hard. If you can't manage that you can buy it. ANYTHING can be bought on the black market if you have enough money. To believe a government couldn't just get the word out that some was wanted and offer a crapload of money, and not have it no time, is naive.

Hell, they could probably buy one prebuilt if they spoke to the right people.

Think of this for a moment. The first nuclear weapon was built using 1930's/40's technology. The information on how to build the bomb has been out there for decades. When we speak of nuclear secrets, we are talking mostly of guidance and delivery systems, not how to make an actual bomb.

Of course Iran can make a nuclear weapon. So could any other government if they were so inclined. The real question to ask is, why do they want it?

We look at it from the point of view as ones who have the bomb already. If you look at it from their point of view, they see nations who have it pushing others around or at least being able to negotiate rather than be invaded.

If you were in their shoes, you would be trying to build it too, if nothing more than to even the playing field. Not saying I would be happy with a nuclear armed Iran, but I understand their motivation. I don't think they have any intention of using it on anyone not invading their country.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by chips

The UN speech has nothing to do with the propaganda you spread on this thread sunshine.I only took what was written on your site link and showed how they were spinning it.

Israel is always good at that,dont know why we let them get away with it

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I still believe that Iran tested their nuke in North Korea ("NK's 2nd nuke test"). Both Iran and NK would benefit from such arrangement. And it's more likely that Iran tested a bomb there, than NK doing it alone. I know that some find it hard to believe, but... think about it...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Once again, you have to go to foreign press to get anywhere near the truth.

The US media are generally bubbling with excitement, and ignoring the real implications.

I expect the truth is more grave than we're lead to believe:

The UN nuclear inspection agency believes that Iran has "sufficient information" to make a nuclear weapon and had "probably tested" a key component ... .
In the document quoted by AP, his [Baradei's] inspectors [secretly] report: "The agency… assesses that Iran has sufficient information to be able to design and produce a workable implosion nuclear device based on HEU [highly enriched uranium] as the fission fuel."
Furthermore the annexe said Iranian scientists had engaged in "probable testing" of explosives arranged in a hemisphere, which is how an implosion type of nuclear warhead is triggered.

There was also evidence, the report says, that Iran had worked on developing a chamber to carry a warhead on top of one of its missiles, "that is quite likely to be nuclear".

The annexe, entitled Possible Military Dimension of Iran's Nuclear Program, gives details of a top-level meeting in 1984 in which Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, then president now supreme leader, appears to give the green light for building a bomb, saying: "A nuclear arsenal would serve Iran as a deterrent in the hands of God's soldiers."

www.guardian.co.uk...

How nice. Sleep tight, sheeple.

jw

[edit on 18-9-2009 by jdub297]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Primordial
Got some news for you, making a nuclear weapon is not hard. The only difficult part is enriching the uranium, and if you have a modern lab like any modern government likely would, even that isn't really that hard.

Enriching the Uranium is more difficult than you think. I can't be done in an average modern lab. The centrifuge cascade required is a very difficult system to produce / maintain and there is a lot of "trade knowledge" in producing it. I believe the Iranians bought this information from a Pakistani who stole the secrets while employed by a European atomic agency.

Making a bomb is, as you say, simple.

I would think that it would be easier to buy weapons grade material on the black market than produce it yourself if you had bad intentions.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnL

So they could have the means to create a nuclear weapon with a delivery system. What do you think they are going to do with it? Launch it at Israel?! It is clearly a defensive measure to stop any kind of attack from the likes of Israel and the U.S looking for a 'regime' change.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
The IAEA seems to have been nobbled by the US as suggested in this thread.

Documents that suggest a secret nuclear programme are forgeries, and the IAEA refuses to acknowledge this. They say that Iran's objections to the documents are "based on their style and presentation" and "don't address the substance of the documents."

Is that supposed to be the kind of thinking we should be seeing in high-profile public bodies?

If the documents are forged, it's the style and presentation that will give it away.

And if you suspect the documents are forged, then there's no point in looking at the contents until that issue is settled.

Some more background:

A Newsweek article about Iran's nuclear capability

A skeptical view of the latest NIE

Note that according to this last article, Iran never had a nuclear programme whereas the NIE had "high confidence" that they were trying in 2003, when the inspectors went in.

Iran has had more inspectors in than anyone else, and they've found nothing.

Why is Iran a threat to the US? (nobody could tell me)

I wanted to find a thread about Iran having a nuclear programme: it was sourced from Newsmax and I was able to halt the thread in its tracks by the simple expedient of comparing what Newsmax said about ElBaradei with what ElBaradeil had actually done and said. There's so much bogus talk about Iran... it should be obvious, but most people go around with their eyes shut.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Won't be long now until Israel bombs Iran. My guess is within 3 weeks... The question is, will this develop into WW3? *gulp*

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't particularly believe they are planning any form of Nuclear strike, of course I'm not buddies with the Iranians like so I suppose they could be but it just seems everyone is jumping on the hate Iran train right now.

Even if they do develop a nuke who cares, it's going straight to Israel anyway

Edit cos I realised how harsh that last line looks, I don't actually want anyone to get nuked lol

[edit on 18-9-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

This news, tells us we are closer to ww3 than ever before. So, I thought this thread was worthy of a bump...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightFantastic

Originally posted by Primordial
Got some news for you, making a nuclear weapon is not hard. The only difficult part is enriching the uranium, and if you have a modern lab like any modern government likely would, even that isn't really that hard.

Enriching the Uranium is more difficult than you think. I can't be done in an average modern lab. The centrifuge cascade required is a very difficult system to produce / maintain and there is a lot of "trade knowledge" in producing it. I believe the Iranians bought this information from a Pakistani who stole the secrets while employed by a European atomic agency.

Making a bomb is, as you say, simple.

I would think that it would be easier to buy weapons grade material on the black market than produce it yourself if you had bad intentions.

Well sure, I didn't mean a lab like at the average college. We are talking about a government budget. I'm sure Iran could do it if they wanted. Or, as we both agree, just buy it and be done with it.

Also, keep in mind what I said. A nuclear bomb was built over half a century ago. The actual bomb is not new technology, just faster more accurate delivery systems. If it was done then it could easily be done today.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join