It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Same old story with a different spin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I was just reading some of the news at the sites I usually frequent. I came across this headline and and skimmed through it and thought to myself, "Well, that's cool, no big deal."

Congress and President Obama face a test Thursday of their commitment to freedom of the press and to holding government accountable. The Senate Judiciary Committee is expected to consider a proposed federal shield law that would protect the public’s right to learn vital information about the workings of its government. But some senators are trying to weaken the bill, and the White House has sent mixed signals.

www.nytimes.com...

I continued on and found some other fascinating stuff, I mean stuff that I find fascinating. I then happened upon this headline.

US Spending $75 Billion a Year on Spying 'No Distinction' Between Military, Non-Military Intelligence

news.antiwar.com...

Alright, no big deal. We have to spy on the nefarious deeds of those countries that are considered to be a threat right? So I dismissed it and continued on my news hunting jaunt. I then came across this.

Admin Wants Renewal of Domestic Spying Methods The Obama administration, meanwhile, is seeking to renew three controversial domestic spying methods under the USA PATRIOT Act before they expire at year’s end. On Tuesday, the Justice Department asked Congress to extend government powers to collect financial records and monitor suspects with roving wiretaps. The Justice Department says it would consider adding new privacy protections, but only if they don’t “undermine the effectiveness of these important authorities.”

www.democracynow.org...

I don't know about you, but I get the sense that we are being watched. I know I have seen similar threads about this and I never really looked into them. This stuff that I happened upon just seemed to click. What happened to Obama's pledge to do away with the old policies of the patriot act that undermined our rights? I guess this was just a ploy to get himself elected. If nothing else he has renewed my faith in the politicians of old. They never change and never will. Oh, they'll tell you change is a coming! It sure is.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
HEY! we posted threads only 1 minute apart on a forum that neither one of us usually visit! Lol.

Interesting stuff though man. People have said for years that big brutha is watching. And so many believe Obama would be our savior. If this isn't at least a hint to those few...then I don't know what to tell them except "baaahhh"

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

True, I can't say I am surprised though. We should've expected it actually. I saw an article that had to do with prisoners in Afghanistan. The current administration is pushing to keep the right to detain them indefinitely without trial. Sound familiar? I will find it, I just saw it.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

White House Backs Controversial Domestic Surveillance Provisions By VOA News 16 September 2009

The Obama administration is urging lawmakers to extend three provisions of the controversial domestic surveillance law known as the USA Patriot Act. The U.S. Justice Department issued a letter Tuesday asking Congress to renew provisions of the law that allow authorities to conduct roving electronic eavesdropping, or wiretaps, access business records and track so-called "lone wolf" suspects with no known links to foreign powers or terrorist groups.

Ok, so now it's official. The current administration loves the ability to track your lives, and is urging lawmakers to extend the right for them to do so. I'm so glad that a real for the people, no big government, I am for change President was elected. He is wonderful as he brilliantly decides to keep a missile defense shield out of Poland. Russia is laughing their butts off. He is like putty in their hands. How wonderful for them too.

Edited to add link for external source.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by jackflap]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

That is totally insane. I knew something like this would eventually happen though. It is only natural. The President matters not. TPTB don't give a damn about what people want. They only care what THEY want. Maybe Obama had good intentions to start with, but was quickly subdued by the a--holes that write his paychecks.

new topics

top topics

join