It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. worried about Iran "running out clock": Gates

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

U.S. worried about Iran "running out clock": Gates

www.reuters.com

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States is concerned about Iran stalling the West while it develops its nuclear program, but there is still time for diplomacy, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said on Thursday.

"We are all concerned about Iran running out the clock on us on their nuclear program," Gates said.

"And our view is there is still time for diplomacy and, I might say, sanctions to persuade the Iranians that their security will be diminished by going down the track of nuclear weapons."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Of course they are "running out the clock"... I mean, really..
Com'n..

USrael/UN gave them until end of September to comply..
Now outta "no where", Iran wants to have open talks... but laugh at the Obama Administration if they think they will talk about their Nuclear Programme...

I don't know what will come off these talks..... but I tell you what, John Bolton, Gates, Israel Gov't are all saying End Of 2009.

You had your chance..

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Well i personally won't consider the diplomatic route fully exhausted unless Iran and Israel sit down and have talks.

Instead we have the U.S doing the talks. As i said in another thread why not have a neutral country llike Norway or Sweden mediate, as the United States is clearly biased and has vested interests, as it is fighting two wars in the region.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Well i personally won't consider the diplomatic route fully exhausted unless Iran and Israel sit down and have talks.

Instead we have the U.S doing the talks. As i said in another thread why not have a neutral country llike Norway or Sweden mediate, as the United States is clearly biased and has vested interests, as it is fighting two wars in the region.

because neutral countries want to remain neutral. Whichever country votes whichever way, they become allies with their choice and enemies with the opposition. This is a heated battle that nobody wants to be caught in the crossfire of.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
AP NewsBreak: Nuke agency says Iran can make bomb

Sep 17 01:23 PM US/Eastern

VIENNA (AP) - Experts at the world's top atomic watchdog are in agreement that Tehran has the ability to make a nuclear bomb and is on the way to developing a missile system able to carry an atomic warhead, according to a secret report seen by The Associated Press.

The document drafted by senior officials at the International Atomic Energy Agency is the clearest indication yet that the agency's leaders share Washington's views on Iran's weapon-making capabilities.

It appears to be the so-called "secret annex" on Iran's nuclear program that Washington says is being withheld by the IAEA's chief.

The document says Iran has "sufficient information" to build a bomb. It says Iran is likely to "overcome problems" on developing a delivery system.

www.breitbart.com...

Time is speeding up.

Can't you feel it?

[edit on 123030p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BaronVonGodzilla

True, i suppose nobody wants to get involved in this mess.

Who can blame them?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Defense | 17.09.2009
US targets Russian support on Iran with shield reverse, say experts

Obama hopes for Russian support for his policy on Iran
Scrapping the US missile shield project has more to do with Iran than just its perceived lack of current threat, say experts. Removing the barrier to dialogue with Russia could give the US a powerful ally against Tehran.

www.dw-world.de...

This would be my guess

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I just saw about that on the news and that's exactly what i thought too.

Why else would they suddenly do a u-turn on it?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
Why else would they suddenly do a u-turn on it?

I dunno.. maybe $$$$$$$$$$$$?????????

If you remember correctly, US was paying for this programme in FULL....
PLUS they were providing financial incentive for the Czech and Polish gov'ts.

/facepalm.jpg

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Only thing Gates is worried about now is how many Ameri-NATO Troops are gonna die in the initial Iranian offensive....

I haven't seen this much rhetoric at once since, you guess it, the Iraqi invasion.
It's even on every front page Canadian Paper as well...
UK is openly saying they will use Military too...
As Obama said today, or yesterday.... 1st time
UN came together and Israel and Iran both had their final "say"....

I'm guessing October 9th 2009..
Check Ezekiel 24:1

this is it.

Signing Off.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
This honestly sounds rediculous to me. When did the United States officially take ownership of the world anyway? More importantly why the heck isn't the rest of the world paying our taxes! Slackers everyone hates them.

Running out the clock is done in a sporting event. This is about a sovreign nation pursuing its own right to science and technology just like any other nation.

This idea of turning every little world event into some obscene us versus them, the home team versus the away team, East versus West, Christian/Jew versus Muslim is just as retarded as it is dangerous.

What do you think Iran is going to do with a nuclear weapon when they know practically every other important nation on earth has them too and will fry them if the attempt to use it?

Israel doesn't let inspectors into it's nuclear facilities either and from where I sit using this nonsensical sports equation annology Israel has attacked a lot more nations than Iran has in fact if that were a game it would be a total shut out with Iran not having attacked anyone and Israel practically in the double digits.

Do you know who actually represents the greatest threat to the United States of America concerning nuclear weapons? The United States of America, do you have any idea that there have been over a dozen unreported accidental detonations from our bombers crashing during patrol missions armed with nuclear weapons.

Not just here but on other nations soil too, its why we eventually had to stop flying armed nuclear partols.

Do you even know? Of course not, because the Government is not going to tell you what a bunch of screw ups and dunderheads they are and they can't even be trusted with these things.

So what the heck else don't they tell us the truth about and you guys are worried about the Iranians having a bomb?

If they have any track record like us they are just going to blow themselves up with it accidentally.

Do you people even have any idea how many people in the Los Angeles and Nevada and Utah areas have died from cancers because of Atomic Bomb testing?

I swear there is brainwashed and then there is brain dead!

You go ahead and attack Iran over this nonsense and when you are all paying 25.00 a gallon for gas and 10.00 for a loaf of bread don't come crying to me, I drive a bicycle and can pick fruit of the trees in the yard 24/7 good luck to you when the world economy collapses when the Iranians shut down the Persian Gulf in retaliation.

THIS IS NOT A FOOTBALL GAME PEOPLE.

Just say no to the Millitary Industrial Complex all they want to ever do is kill someone somewhere and make a buck off of it and they really don't care if it's me or you they end up killing either.

[edit on 26/9/09 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I like you.

LOL

Glad someone on here makes sense once in a while!

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

NEW YORK — US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Saturday welcomed Iran's decision to admit International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) inspectors to a newly disclosed uranium enrichment plant.

"It is always welcome when Iran makes a decision to comply with the international rules and regulations, and particularly with respect to the IAEA," Clinton told reporters at talks with Gulf Arab foreign ministers.

www.google.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I'll address only the basic stated concern.

If any person or nation is doing something that it has been determined is completely unacceptable, then the idea of "running out the clock" is a self-imposed curse.

You get on TV, announce that you hereby order all US military personnel to DEFCON 2. All leave are cancelled, and all military personnel are to report to their posts.

Request the Governors activate National Guard units, and call up all Reserves.

Now that you have everyone's attention, you make the following statement:

"Iran has four hours to agree to permit international observers free movement throughout the country, to any complex, building or area, without any delay or hesitation to immediately inspect any and all areas such inspectors wish to examine.

The Iranian leadership has four hours to respond. After this four hour period, no further communications with the Iranian government will be made pending the results of our own strike results."

You give them a time limit.

There's the only clock that matters.

This crap about running out a clock . . . what a bunch of idiots!

Then put up, or shut up.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   

I agree with you 100%. Your comment about it being a game is spot on that is exactly how people treat it. They seem to have this stupid idea that that the way to deal with a difference in "international policy" is to throw troops at your oponent. What is more, they think they have a right to do that, as if their opinion is the only opinion that matters, everyone should be like them and share that opinion or they will make you be like them.

Israel has nukes, when was the last time an international inspector visited their facilities hmm? Why are people not jumping on the "lets invade Israel to ensure they are complying with international law" bandwagon? Wait, I think we know the answer to that.

This is the sort of hypocrisy Ahmadinejad talked about in his speech. Maybe it was the guilty parties walking out.

Funny how they never pick on China, or Russia.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by quackers]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
There's also been claims of Chavez getting involved or anyone else that doesn't care about the consequences.

threatswatch.org...

Couldn't find where it claimed Chavez would sell Iran nuclear material, but thought I heard that on the news at one point.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Sept. 10th

Mr. Chávez was in Tehran again this week and offered his full support for Mr. Ahmadinejad's hard-line faction. As usual, the caudillo made clear that he shares Iran's view of Israel, which he called "a genocidal state." He endorsed Iran's nuclear program and declared that Venezuela would seek Iran's assistance to construct a nuclear complex of its own. He also announced that his government would begin supplying Iran with 20,000 barrels of gasoline a day -- a deal that could directly undercut a possible U.S. effort to curtail Iran's gasoline imports.

Such collaboration is far from new for Venezuela and Iran. In the past several years Iran has opened banks in Caracas and factories in the South American countryside. Manhattan district attorney Robert Morgenthau, who has been investigating the arrangements, says he believes Iran is using the Venezuelan banking system to evade U.S. and U.N. sanctions.

He also points out that Iranian factories have been located "in remote and undeveloped parts of Venezuela" that lack infrastructure but that could be "ideal . . . for the illicit production of weapons."

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by quackers

This is the sort of hypocrisy Ahmadinejad talked about in his speech. Maybe it was the guilty parties walking out.
[edit on 26-9-2009 by quackers]

Yeah the UN conference was a farce. Gadaffi and Ahmadinejad talked a lot of sense there. But to anyone fed a steady diet of American MSM, it's real easy to paint them as a couple of villains or crazies.

Y'know at one point Gadaffi was talking about human engineered diseases. Assuming he was talking about swine flu, sars, or possibly even AIDS. I was like wow, he knows about this stuff. The rest of them know, but none of them are unpopular enough to say it!

When you're the ostracized one from the community, you're free to say whatever you like, because it's impossible to piss anyone else off. Would be a wonderful world if all the member states of the UN had the freedom to criticize the situation as freely as these two men. I wonder what revelations we would hear.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Here is the problem Dooper my friend. We did that essentially during the Cuban Missile crisis, we were sure that the Commies would nuke us with those missiles, postively absolutely sure!

Now first there is an important thing to understand, once the Batista government fell in Cuba and the American and European interests fled along with the Cuban oligarchs and monied classes we immediately began a black ops war against Cuba. We constantly napalmed crops from the air, bombed and hit sugar factories, rum distiliries and cigar manufacturers.

The CIA ran the flights out of Opa Locka not big massive arial bombing campaigns like in Vietnam just a flight or tow a day with some P class prop planes left over from World War Ii. They would fly in low take out some fields or other economic infrastructure and head on back to Miami for a cold one.

The Russians started building missile silos in essence to stop that, to put an end to the undeclared war and the constant damage to the Cuban infrastructure.

We postured and beat the War Drums, South Florida was turned into a massive military camp, air craft carriers had planes with nuclear bombs locked and loaded on their wings while Kennedy and Kruschev argued it out.

The Russians folded up shop and sailed away with the missiles and six months to a year later after all the fuss and muss died down they just put them right back in there. Cuba has had nuclear weapons for years now. Fidel hasn't nuked us, Russia never nuked us.

Trying to stop a nation from developing Nuclear weapons is like trying to stop someone from breaking in to your car. Sooner or later they are going to get in the thing. It's just a matter of time.

It's not worth a war buddy, it's not worth killing off the rest of the economy.

The Iranians won't want to loose face, you know how they love to play brinkmanship in that part of the world, no one has ever told them you pull up at the last minute when playing chicken.

This is the powers that be looking to collapse the economy and keeping it off the government. This is about a campaign to put the Shah of Iran back on the throne, and trust me the Iranians hated the SAVAK a lot more than they hate the Revolutionary Guards, if the Shah hadn't been such a despot there never would have been an Islamic Revolution to begin with.

We need to do something about this country, the Police Actions at the G-20 were beyond the pale, we have troubles right here to deal with, the Police State, Obama and the Economy, the last thing we need to worry about is Iran, we can't afford the distraction and that's all it is is a distraction.

posted on Sep, 26 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   

I lived in Fort Walton Beach in those Cuban Missile Crisis days, and at the time, we not only had TAC (Tactical Air Command) here, but also SAC (Strategic Air Command.)

I remember very vividly the one-third of the B-52's circling the skies over the area 24/7 waiting for the "go." I remember the tensions here, the Air Force members getting their families out of the area, and this area was unassed in a hurry.

We didn't leave, but many did, and I've never seen fear and dread as I saw in those days.

My point is only this:

I don't want to hear any stupid crap about some third party "running out the clock," which is a term for stalling.

If you want something to happen - give a very short deadline.

If you want credibility - you absolutely crush your opponent one minute after the deadline.

The next time, your deadlines will be addressed.

And you'll end up in the long term saving a lot of American lives.

They want to stop Iran, then nuke the **** out of them, make an example out of them, and next time you say something, for decades - you WILL be listened to.

This hand-wringing is a load of crap only practiced by males who have already been emasculated, and have wet themselves multiple times.

[edit on 26-9-2009 by dooper]

posted on Sep, 27 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

The Road to Tehran Does Not Run Through Moscow

Read more at:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Russian reticence stems from a number of sources. Given the West's reluctance to business with Tehran, Russian companies have found lucrative opportunities in Iran. Russo-Iranian trade has expanded rapidly, with turnover exceeding $3 billion last year, and slated to grow rapidly in the coming years. Much Russo-Iranian trade is in sectors considered strategically important by the Kremlin. Tehran is a major customer for Russia's defense industry, and Russian gas monopoly Gazprom is involved in developing Iran's vast South Pars gas field. Russia is also deeply involved in Iran's overt nuclear program, with firms connected to the Ministry of Atomic Energy building the reactor complex at Bushehr.

Despite their disagreements over Tehran's pursuit of nuclear weapons, Russia and Iran have forged a close diplomatic partnership elsewhere. This partnership took root during the late 1990s, when Moscow and Tehran worked together closely to end the bloody civil war in Tajikistan. Previously, Russia accused Iran of training and supplying Islamist guerrillas from Russia's North Caucasus during the first war in Chechnya (1994-96), and of exporting Islamic radicalism to Russia's neighbors in Central Asia. By the time the second war in Chechnya began in 1999, the Russo-Iranian rapprochement was already underway, and Iranian intervention was not an issue.

Read more at: www.huffingtonpost.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join