It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsanto Starts Raising Prices (big time)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This whole topic of GM plants is dead serious.
The plants can be deadly, as the farmers in India found out. Link above somewhere.
They harvested the cotton and then let their animals graze on the plants.
The animals died.

GM crops produce Less not more. Monsanto lies.

Less not more

"Results of a three-year study at the University of Kansas are clear: genetically modified (GM) crops actually produce less food than regular crops, not more, despite the claims of GM proponent corporations like Monsanto and Archer Daniels Midland (ADM). Earlier studies confirm the result, and similar results are being reported in non-food crops like cotton."

They raise their price maybe because they are producing less seed?
And so have to make up for it?

Monsanto's government ties

Since the introduction of GM food there has been a 400% increase in food allergies.
I react badly to the citric acid made from GM Corn.
It causes the blood vessels in my head to swell and I get stiff achey muscles and more.
Ever wonder why there is an increase in Autism and other behavioural problems in children? Vaccines have been around for a long time, bur GM food only appeared in the 10 years or so.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
OH excellent! It will cost us more to be poisoned. How perfect.
And - Is Mr. Obama also using going to purchase these wonderful GMO Monsanto seeds for his Organic Whitehouse Garden? Huh?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
OH excellent! It will cost us more to be poisoned. How perfect.
And - Is Mr. Obama also using going to purchase these wonderful GMO Monsanto seeds for his Organic Whitehouse Garden? Huh?

Look at this, from wiki:
Monsanto gave $186,250 to federal candidates in the 2008 election cycle through its political action committee (PAC) - 42% to Democrats, 58% to Republicans.[97]
[edit] Lobbying

The company spent $8,831,120 for lobbying in 2008. $1,492,000 was to outside lobbying firms with the remainder being spent using in-house lobbyists.[98]
[edit] Public officials formerly employed by Monsanto

* Justice Clarence Thomas worked as an attorney for Monsanto in the 1970s. Thomas wrote the majority opinion in the 2001 Supreme Court decision J. E. M. AG SUPPLY, INC. V. PIONEER HI-BREDINTERNATIONAL, INC. which found that "newly developed plant breeds are patentable under the general utility patent laws of the United States." This case benefitted all companies which profit from genetically modified crops, of which Monsanto is one of the largest.[94][99][100]

* Michael R. Taylor was an assistant to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) commissioner before he left to work for a law firm on gaining FDA approval of Monsanto’s artificial growth hormone in the 1980s. Taylor then became deputy commissioner of the FDA from 1991 to 1994.[94] Taylor was later re-appointed to the FDA in August 2009 by President Barack Obama.[101]

* Dr. Michael A. Friedman was a deputy commissioner of the FDA before he was hired as a senior vice president of Monsanto.[94]

* Linda J. Fisher was an assistant administrator at the United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ (EPA) before she was a vice president at Monsanto from 1995 - 2000. In 2001, Fisher became the deputy administrator of the EPA.[94]

* Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld was chairman and chief executive officer of G. D. Searle & Co., which Monsanto purchased in 1985. Rumsfeld personally made at least $12 million USD from the transaction.[94]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Dogs,cats , chickens ,sheep , cows and pigs. As the worlds population grows uncontrollably the demand for food is going to increase as well. very few people realize that if farmers were usig the same methods as they did thirty years ago , they would all be out of business. A typical dairy cow is yielding three to six times more milk as it did forty years ago.
I am afraid we have reached the pinnacle of production using all known methods both cultural and chemical. The next phase of advancement neccesary to achieve the yields reguired to feed the country is unfortunately forcing us to employ genetic engineering. Let's just hope it is used wisely.
I can't imagine any company spending the time and expense to develop these new varieties without some kind of infringement protection. It is new and potentially dangerous endeavor and barriers have to be put in place

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It's very difficult to take any part of this horror story and debate it on it's own merits. I hope we can be patient and tolerant with each other and bear this in mind when discussing. It's a big deal and pretty emotional.

For years we have been proud that America could feed the world. We're losing our farmlands. We're losing them because huge Biotech firms are targeting them for elimination. small farms are somehow a risk to these corporate giants.

Donal Rumsfeld had a huge stake in Monsanto when we invaded Iraq. Surprisingly, Iraq was 'convinced' to purchase Monsanto seed for their farms during the 'rebuilding' efforts.

India, used as a guinea pig for the seed, has had a tremendously high number of failed small farms.

With competition eliminated, which is what I am convinced we are seeing the beginning of, Monsanto is free to charge whatever they like for their seed.

With Monsanto GM seed interbred with the genetically unaltered seed in the real world right now, the implications are disastrous.

The price gouging and fixing and monopolizing are terrible in their own right. With a former Monsanto executive (and probably still a stakeholder) as the 'Food Czar', regulation of this company and the protection of American farmers is not a likely outcome.

Monsanto was being sued for price fixing with three other companies that sold GM crop seed. Interestingly enough, the federal judge that was hearing the case, was a former lawyer for Monsanto. He refused to remove himself from the case.

Patent infringement is wrong. That's not at issue. I think we can all get behind that. What's really at issue is the 42 percent increase in prices. The fact that there is increased yield is good (but as a whole, not established) but Monsanto is seriously nullifying that for the farmer by making them buy seed EVERY year, and then at a substantially increased price.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Perhaps this is some kind of "Shock Test" - like from "Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars". Just a wild, hairy thought.

MOD, if you haven't ever seen it, "The World According to Monsanto" is a nicely made documentary about the things Monsanto is doing and what reactions are coming from their actions. It's not the End All Be All, but it's a great place to start. Should be able to find it in any simple torrent search (as it's quite popular), but I think Netflix and others have it online as well. I'm pretty sure even Google and YouTube have at least pertinent pieces and parts if not the whole on Google Video. Anyway most of it's truth is self-evident.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
am down loading "the world according to monsanto" now. ill make the gf watch it with me too. lol she didnt agree with me on vaccines at first but i made her watch and look in to it and she does listen to me but sometimes i feel she switches off so this will make her and me a bit more aware when shopping, i hope its good. i do avoid gm and sweetners as much as possible but you dont always know and its getting harder to avoid certain things, its like they creep more and more in to out lives, even against much oppisition.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rickster01
am down loading "the world according to monsanto" now. ill make the gf watch it with me too. lol she didnt agree with me on vaccines at first but i made her watch and look in to it and she does listen to me but sometimes i feel she switches off so this will make her and me a bit more aware when shopping, i hope its good. i do avoid gm and sweetners as much as possible but you dont always know and its getting harder to avoid certain things, its like they creep more and more in to out lives, even against much oppisition.

Good luck with the shopping. They don't have to label anything made with, or fed FED on GM grain.

I hope that when you undertake the shopping adventure, you could come back here and start a thread to keep us all posted on any tips you accumulated.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Good luck with the shopping. They don't have to label anything made with, or fed FED on GM grain.

I hope that when you undertake the shopping adventure, you could come back here and start a thread to keep us all posted on any tips you accumulated.

with the labels on food i try to find ones with no gm advertised and if possible i choose organic. chocolate is a tough one because i love it. i like calburys. most dont have sweeteners but i notice a lot of e numbers and sure its gotta have gm. thats the hardest thing for me to cut out

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

most dont have sweeteners but i notice a lot of e numbers

sorry, i know this is a bit off topic but every additive in food has an "e-number", they aren't all bad but they are all additives. here's a key to what they are. some of them are also found in natural foods, like vitamin C, E300, and some are pure chemicals.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

most dont have sweeteners but i notice a lot of e numbers

sorry, i know this is a bit off topic but every additive in food has an "e-number", they aren't all bad but they are all additives. here's a key to what they are. some of them are also found in natural foods, like vitamin C, E300, and some are pure chemicals.

Thanks for the info. theres always a little more that u dont know. didnt realise e numbers were such a range of additives. basically less added more good.

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Should Monsanto be required to prove beyond any doubt that Monsanto did not intentionally and subversively cross pollinate someone else's seed ( by clandestinely releasing pollination in the air ), for the purpose of it's own very great selfish monetary gain, for Monsanto ? If someone else's seeds are unintentionally pollinated with Monsanto seeds, then Monsanto is the polluter of pollination and should pay the cost of remedy. Monsanto is thus the one who has crossed the boundary with Monsanto's pollen, and then assaulted the innocent and unprotected farmer with pollination. Since pollen travels all over the earth with the wind, Monsanto has got the whole wide world in it's hands. These injured farmers need a much better attorney such as Alan Dershowitz, who has freed many criminals from going to jail. If Monsanto does not want cross pollination, then Monsanto should provide some protection and another remedy other than being a dictator.

Does everyone realize that the USSR Stalin in the 1930's killed by starvation several tens of millions of USSR farmers by forcefully removing all of the farmer's produce and all their seeds ?

Are Monsanto's attorneys like Stalins military, out for their own selfish gain ?

There is an example in history of what happens when one allows a dictator like Monsanto to exist. The dictator Stalin of the USSR murdered in the 1930's by starvation several tens of millions of his own USSR farmers by removing all of their produce and all of their seeds. 

Maybe congress should limit the profits of Monsanto so that Monsanto would only be just a regular super pig, instead of a greater unlimited super pig.

[edit on 25-4-2010 by trader21]

posted on Apr, 25 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
i dont mind paying a few more cents for my glow in the dark spider tomatoes.
after all regular old regular food is boring, i like my food to be geneticly diversified.

<< 1  2   >>

join