It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blowin' In the Wind - Mary Travers Dead @ 72

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary dead at 72

DANBURY, Conn. — Mary Travers, one-third of the hugely popular 1960s folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary, has died.

The trio mingled their music with liberal politics, both onstage and off. Their version of "If I Had a Hammer" became an anthem for racial equality Other hits included "Lemon Tree," "Leaving on a Jet Plane" and "Puff (The Magic Dragon.)"

They were vehement in their opposition to the Vietnam War, managing to stay true to their liberal beliefs while creating music that resonated in the American mainstream.

"Blowin' In the Wind" became an another civil rights anthem, and Peter, Paul and Mary fully embraced the cause. They marched with King in Selma, Ala., and performed with him in Washington.

(Mary) Travers had undergone a successful bone marrow transplant to treat her leukemia and was able to return to performing after that.

"It was like a miracle," Travers told The Associated Press in 2006. "I'm just feeling fabulous. What's incredible is someone has given your life back. I'm out in the garden today. This time last year I was looking out a window at a hospital." She also said she told the marrow donor "how incredibly grateful I was."

Mary Allin Travers was born on Nov. 9, 1936 in Louisville, Ky., the daughter of journalists who moved the family to Manhattan's bohemian Greenwich Village.

Travers lived for many years in Redding, Conn.

source

Oh how we need people like Mary now!

Where are the artists for Freedom, standing up to say NO! to the government?

Her stand for what she believed in, using her voice to fight the establishment, to cry for freedom and equality and against the Vietnam war truly makes this woman a heroine in my eyes.

"We've learned that it will take more than one generation to bring about change," Travers once said. "The fight for civil rights has developed into a broader concern for human rights, and that encompasses a great many people and countries. Those of us who live in a democracy have a responsibility to be the voice for those whose voices are stilled."

Where are they now? The Heroes and artists for Freedom?

I don't know. but I know one of our best, is gone...

May she rest in Peace

[edit on 17-9-2009 by silo13]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Carry one, Mary, you will be missed. Every time I hear one of their songs I cry. A simple Folk group, they made a lot of people happy.

If I Had a Hammer

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I miss her...

It's hard to see a Heroine go...

It's also hard when this is one of my favorites of hers.

But I gotta say, she was never afraid of the truth now was she?

We can all take a lesson from that.

peace

join