It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone stuck in a career they hate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I guess I should be lucky to have a good paying job with benefits but I can't stand my job. I get nothing out of it and I've only been doing it for two years. There are days where it's ok but most of the time I feel like I'm wasting my life doing something I have no passion for. I'm good at what I do. I'm also sick of all the bureaucracy and constantly having to make sure you cross your T's and dot your I's so to speak. Absolutley no freedom to do anything. And I'm definitely not a yes doctor no doctor type of guy. I'm an RN.

Anyone else stuck in a job they can't stand and feel like there's no way out or impossible to make a career change?

P.S. I also have a VERY hard time with all the blatant waste that goes on in the hospital setting. It's disgusting how much plastic and crap ends up in a landfill.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I HATE my job/trade, I've hated it for decades.
BUT, I make over $40/hr and with ot, I haven't made less than $120,000 for the last 5 years. 6 weeks vacation, health, 401(k), stock options.

I could quit this job and get another one just about anywhere that pays the same or better.

But, I HATE it!
I HATE going in every day.
I dislike most of the customers.
I dislike most of the bosses.

I've blown over $200,000 trying other businesses, but I always come back to what I know. It's tough trying something new when I know I can always go back to climbing poles.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I am not making jack skat working for the welfare office. I work my arse off for the amount of money I should be paying in taxes.And it is a miserable place.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I had another #ty day where I am.. I signed on as a driver, after two years I did them a favor and switched to the warehouse because of sombody elses incompotence.

Now going on 3 yrs after that... I feel stuck, no fullfilled promises of more money from wharehouse position, still no offered benefits of any kind. They expand and hire on more drivers and office workers.. wich wouldnt have been possible if I didnt do them a favor.

So now I am expected to do more labor, and like it...but I am not being compensated.

The only good thing is I walk there in literally 2 minutes.. walk home for lunch. and I am always late(its just my way of rebelling because they screwed me so many times)but they never say anything.

I am single, lucky enough to be living with parents(zero bills). I have $30k sitting in a .15% savings account, and lately I have been trying to think of a way to invest my money and hit it bigtime. Or at least allow me to have a comfortable time later on in life.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by Mailman]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I hear ya there...
I hate my job, well the people are great, the pay is ok for this area, but man as a job, it is very hard on the body and drives me nuts.
But it is temporary. I am taking classes in the spring to be a EMT, then if things work out in the fall get my heavy equipment traning, make some good cash, and get my business i want to be doing going on the side.

If you are stuck , start slowly and find something you would like, and slowly work twords that... if you cant enjoy your work whats the point? sure life dictates that we have to have a paycheck to cover bills, but set your sites on what you realy want to do, and make a game plan to make it happen.
Never to old to go back to school.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'd give just about anything to work a job I hated right now.

No health insurance, no income other than unemployment. I envy you guys.

1 college degree, 248 applications out there, 0 jobs.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
because of the crysis (gee thx american nwo banks u suck!) its too tough right now to quit your job couse you dont like it,i actualy did just that
i got a security guard job after months of unemplyment in the heart of the crysis.i ended up saying SCREW IT i dont like to do nothing for 12 hours even if my pay was more then good,and work with a complete jackass who was takng shots at me and was a complete bit**!
i started stydiing for abartender,its pretty cool ilike it,i tryed working as a waiter,i actualy prefer it,lots of work but its fun and tips^^ even if some clients are mean its better...if i work with nice people^^
all i can say is work until u find a better job then screw them

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Im an innkeeper, it's what I know, I used to completely hate my job, because I worked in a terrible hotel in Detroit.

Now I work in a terrible hotel by the airport and I am so thankful for it.

I am thankful that in this economy, I have a job in Michigan.

I don't get paid squat, but at least I get paid.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
While I hate my job and management cannot figure out that they are more of a waste of money then their workers, I am happy that I have a job to hate.

Before everything went to poop I decided I had enough and was going back to school to better myself. Before I could finish everything fell down in the economy. Now I have finished school with a degree and few or none are hiring.

When things pick up hopefully I can escape the crap hole in which I work. Until then though I will be happy to have a place that gives me enough to get by sort of while hating it every second I am there.

Raist

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

actually an innkeeper sounds kind of fun. What is bad about it?

I am thankful I have a job. It is just the place is nuts, and the single mothers actually use the benefits they are handing out, because it just doesn't pay well.

I needed the benefits, was only working part time for the state. But I am bringing home what I made part time!

But, the benefits are so much better.

[edit on 19-9-2009 by nixie_nox]

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
ill be getting a bartender job in a restaurant today,actually im going after an hour to stay and practice 2 hours to see if i like it.
its what i wanted to do,but dont know why i seem so depressed about it,i guess im a sensitive sourpants, its 6 days a week,for 8 hours,the bosses are turkish people,it does seem like a nice play,i dont know why am i so frikkin! depressed
):.........

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I chose to change careers a year before the economy tanked, now I'm stuck in a career that I can't get a job in.

new topics

top topics

join