It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So where's your recovery now?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Unemployment in the industrialized world will hit its highest level since World War II next year, surpassing the current peak, as the global economy looks set for only a timid recovery in 2010...

The jobless rate in the 30 rich countries that belong to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development will approach 10 percent in the second half of next year...

That will top the current postwar high of 8.3 percent from June, and will mean 57 million people out of work.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:24 AM
link   
You can't have a recovery while still shedding jobs. All these jobs that have been lost...............do we think these companies are all of a sudden going to start hiring again? Of course not. Then the companies would not be profitable and everything would go back to square one. One thing is for sure......recovery or not with the unemployment numbers even slowly trickling up you and I will be paying for all those without jobs. So even if the stock market goes up we are still paying. The economic crisis may come to a hault.......but it will be YEARS before there is any sign of a recovery. America has changed forever. It's no longer the economy of my grandfather or even father. Our government has just propped up the inevitable.

I love how everyone acts like America caught a cold and will soon be back on its feet again. We didn't catch a cold we have been diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Our very livelihood hangs in the balance.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Bernanke said the economy is recovering, he did not lie, he was just talking about the Elite's economy. The NY stock market is maybe 34% tied to the American economy. Why do think Mega Corps and the government wanted all these different agreements. NAFTA and the like. Once you realize our government has no interest in the welfare of the American People, that is when you realize the ENDISNIGHE. Like how I did that?
But I am serious, how can their be a jobless recovery? Their cannot. Our generation has been screwed by the previous and the ELITES. Nuff said.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Much better now and getting better every day. Thanks for asking.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here's my recovery...

Dow 10,000 just around the corner

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
The more volatile the financial environment is, the more profit investment banks make

The uber rich are screwing everyone over

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Yes is nice to see how the super rich makes their money while the rest of the nation falls into desperation, unemployment and decay of the standards of living so those few in the upper classes in wall street can keep reaping their benefits.

After all is all pay by tax payer money.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Tier 2 and 3 orders are up 300% over a year ago in our area. I picked up a second job just so they would leave me alone. 6 hours a day from home 2 year contract 35$ an hour really couldn't refuse.Life is good in the hood.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I take you have no idea what the Dollar index is......

Good luck with your investments

Don't support stupid predictions if you know nothing about economics. It's just makes you look silly.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth

I take you have no idea what the Dollar index is......

Good luck with your investments

Don't support stupid predictions if you know nothing about economics. It's just makes you look silly.

What makes you look silly is assuming I have money in the market...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   

You sure talk a lot about it for a guy that has no stake in it. Don't trust your own advice?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
You can't have a recovery while still shedding jobs. All these jobs that have been lost...............do we think these companies are all of a sudden going to start hiring again? Of course not. Then the companies would not be profitable and everything would go back to square one. One thing is for sure......recovery or not with the unemployment numbers even slowly trickling up you and I will be paying for all those without jobs. So even if the stock market goes up we are still paying. The economic crisis may come to a hault.......but it will be YEARS before there is any sign of a recovery. America has changed forever. It's no longer the economy of my grandfather or even father. Our government has just propped up the inevitable.

I love how everyone acts like America caught a cold and will soon be back on its feet again. We didn't catch a cold we have been diagnosed with stage IV cancer. Our very livelihood hangs in the balance.

Some good points but I always have to wonder what the answer is. If it is so dire do I simply say "Well F**k, might as well add another hole to my head and end it now."? Seriously, the picture many paint on here is dire and world ending.

I understand the danger. I'm not ignorant enough to think that things are peachy. But I do have faith in our fellow man in this country. Yes, we will see hard times but I don't think it will get to the point of cannabalism and such that plagued Russia. We will still have our farm belt and our communities. The government can never take that away without a big time bloody nose.

So, even though they may be propping up the economy for a much bigger fall, I want to have some faith in life and try to live as positive as I can.

And yes, I do get caught up in the negative fear mongering at times myself.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by aravoth

You sure talk a lot about it for a guy that has no stake in it. Don't trust your own advice?

What advice? Can you show me where I advised people to invest in the market?

I merely showed that the market is coming back... that's all...

Geesh.. What's your agenda?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dariousg

It all depends on what someone wants from life.

If live is not worth living to them, without a McMansion and a Mercedes or two, and you are not old money elite, Then by all means proceed to ventilate your cranium.

I am much happier tooling around the garden, running my traps, and fishing for food than I am slaving away trying to pay down my debt monster.

Look at it as an opportunity to try new things, and become more independent.

Stop and look at what is really important bro, don't let the hype get you down.

edited for less personal context.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

explain to us how the market "coming back" is solving the financial woes of the country, for those of us that aren't in the market.

A drive-by post linking to "market heads to 10,000" doesn't mean a whole lot without some explanation.

Is it the "seed" of a recovery or what?

Or perhaps "green shoots" kool-aid bullcrap....

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
If you've been around long enough to have seen a major recession (and know what was going on at the time) unemployment is the last thing to turn around. Always haas been, always will be. And unlike the people who have grown-up on 30min sitcom reality, some realize that the process takes a good deal of time. Look at major recessions in other countries, Japan for example, and see how their unemployment tracked.

There are an increasing number of signs that the economic situation is improving. It couldn't happen fast enough for this small business guy. But even we are seeing an uptick in business that was almost completely absent just a few months ago.

We have two political organizations with diametrically opposed agendas: the Administrtaion wants to paint a positive picture so people are encouraged. That alone helps the economy. The other side is desperate to convince people that it's doom-and-gloom. For them, it would be a colossal disaster if the economy recovers under Obama.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

Thanks for the explanation.

So will the financial situation improve if the market marches on, or has the consumer lost their trust in it as an indication that things are going to do better?

I think that consumerism the way it has been in the new millenium is dead for the near future. People are afraid to spend, and that was such a big part of the system in the past decade. I feel that things won't be the way they were for a long time. People that went through the great depression were spendthrifts for life, it will take a generation of unbridled recovery and growth for things to go back to the way they were, then it will all come down again, IMHO.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by hotrodturbo7

Oh be sure, the paradigm ahs shifted. And it will continue to shift. Things won't go back to the way it was any time soon if at all. Alot of people have lost their homes and many more will. Alot of businesses have failed and many more will. But the diminished level of business left will spread over the remaining businesses.

It wasn't that long ago that the Japanese economy was almost DOA. But it came roaring back. Think of the billions made during the dot-com boom when only a couple years earlier the internet itself was just a fledgling technology. I was spending alot of time on business in the UK back in the early 90s. I was amazed at how many people had mobile phones over there when in the US they were extrememly expensive and the size of a loaf of bread. Then a coupel years later everyone had them. The same sort of thing could happen at any time. A new industry pops up and buhzing!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotrodturbo7

explain to us how the market "coming back" is solving the financial woes of the country, for those of us that aren't in the market.

A drive-by post linking to "market heads to 10,000" doesn't mean a whole lot without some explanation.

Is it the "seed" of a recovery or what?

Or perhaps "green shoots" kool-aid bullcrap....

Where do you think the money which is invested in a stock goes? Does it just stay there until someone buys or sells it?

No it's used by that company for further research and development... after all it IS an investment.

The better the market is doing, the more companies can hire and invest in themselves, which means the better for the work force and general economy.

See this is one of the things they fail to teach in high school.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
You can't have a recovery while still shedding jobs. All these jobs that have been lost...............do we think these companies are all of a sudden going to start hiring again?

Well actually, New Job loss claims are down...

Link here

So your statement of shedding jobs is no longer true.

Second... when someone purchases stock in a company, they have more capital to expand the business (i.e. hire people)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join