It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Daisy-Lola

Personally, I've pondered this myself, hypothetically, would it be better, if our society was segregated and intertwined later on?

Should it of been?

I wonder this a lot,

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Id like to propose yet another irony of the english language.

The irony in the word 'race'. Strange that it was named that in the first place.

My understanding of the word 'race' is about competition, a contest, if you will, from one point to another.

From that simple analagy alone, one can see a slight confusion in the very backbone of the word.

BTW, i dont have a racial bone in my body.

Even my dog is brown and white

[edit on 17/9/2009 by scubagravy]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Verum Astrum

It was a bit of a ramble

lol jk

I understand it, I dated a black girl once, and well, to the contrary, I was embraced by the black community, I thought i'd be assaulted to be honest, they loved me, I was a token white guy... I guess... high school you know.

I went from a private school of all whites to a public school in high school of all blacks and mexicans, surprisinlgy I fit in quite well!

Although, I was always a deeply, and brutally honest person, I told white lies, but if someone asks me something I tell them the brutal truth, no matter how many relationships it's broken or hurt.

If you ask, expect the truth, and usually they know what it is.

I was nicknamed by the black community as, Jim Carrey, Keanu Reeves. One or the other at all times.

I think they think we all look alike lol.

For the GF, well we soon split apart, from rehabs and such, she had issues so it didn't work out.

I learned racism, when I moved into a small town. But you do feel connected, although I'd go for the broad connection than minority connection.

I feel like i've changed people here t hough, and done my part.

I like i've said in a post long ago.

Said I have racist bias' but I make a strict point of conversation and blunt talk to get past them.

What better way to overcome them, than to say to a black person "Do you think i'm racist? How many racist people have you met in your life? Is life ok to you?"

Blunt questions, beats the hell out of beating around the bush...

And not just black people. Asians, whites, jamaicans, indians, indonesians.

My boss is from india, and i've seen him cry (52) from the things assholes have said to him, I know him, and he hasn't stolen anyones job, he gave me mine, and I wish I could mess them up, he still works his arse off, 14 hours shifts everyday, and does a good job at that, and still people thank god he finally hired a white person (me).

But they don't know, exactly what he does! Ignorance breeds racism.

This, guy may cut my paycheck and stuff, but his son does that, a true american, he himself, the owner, is a great guy, a man of integrity, who faces the brute force of everday racism.

But still, noone can see what his impact in the world is, other then, 'he took ma job!'

But I doubt anyone would work harder then him, and i've met alot of hard workers!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
Id like to propose yet another irony of the english language.

The irony in the word 'race'. Strange that it was named that in the first place.

My understanding of the word 'race' is about competition, a contest, if you will, from one point to another.

From that simple analagy alone, one can see a slight confusion in the very backbone of the word.

BTW, i dont have a racial bone in my body.

Even my dog is brown and white

[edit on 17/9/2009 by scubagravy]

Well, sir, you're racist for dogs!

much needed humour!

It is a competition

RACE is ABOUT competition.

It should be.

But what was!?

THe Black race?

The white Race?

The mixed Races?

The human Races?

OR ALL OF LIFE?

Joining forces would do much good!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

hehe, so, if we all joined forces and formed total unity,

where would be the balance? would it be harmonic? is it logical? is it really what we need?, would we all swap skin if we could?,

It would be total speculation to assume yes to any of those questions.....

Cause its never been.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   

hehe, so, if we all joined forces and formed total unity,

where would be the balance? would it be harmonic? is it logical? is it really what we need?, would we all swap skin if we could?,

It would be total speculation to assume yes to any of those questions.....

Cause its never been.

Hilarious you mention that!

I have bright green eyes today!

Next week I'll be blue eyed!

Quite possibly the future holds more!

We may not join unity, and religion would be next after racism of course, but it would be a stepping stone!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08

Although, I was always a deeply, and brutally honest person, I told white lies, but if someone asks me something I tell them the brutal truth, no matter how many relationships it's broken or hurt.

I tend to be the same - but usually when I am angry or fired up about something. Otherwise, I tend to stay right out of situations. But a relationship can't evolve if it's based on lies, that's for sure.

I was nicknamed by the black community as, Jim Carrey, Keanu Reeves. One or the other at all times.

I think they think we all look alike lol.

So does that mean they thought you were funny AND cool?

I learned racism, when I moved into a small town. But you do feel connected, although I'd go for the broad connection than minority connection.

I feel like i've changed people here t hough, and done my part.

Wish I had the bravado to be able to change a few people here!
The small town I live in is really community based. You can't walk down the main street without needing to nod, hello, or acknowledge at least 3-4 passers by that you know lol. I love that feeliing of connection to the community, but it really gets to me how I can befriend these people, have a great convo with them and then it is suddenly ruined when they add their racist slur at the end! grrrr It kinda makes me step back and look at them in a different light.

My boss is from india, and i've seen him cry (52) from the things assholes have said to him, I know him, and he hasn't stolen anyones job, he gave me mine, and I wish I could mess them up, he still works his arse off, 14 hours shifts everyday, and does a good job at that, and still people thank god he finally hired a white person (me).

But they don't know, exactly what he does! Ignorance breeds racism.

Too true mate, too true.
The world is becoming connected globally through technology, now if only we could, as a race, become a community in the real sense and not simply 'token connected' from behind PC monitors and cables.....

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   

ahhh ok sorry about the messy last post Republican.....still trying to get the hang of this 'quote' stuff grrrr. I'll get there, I'll get there....

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I know, I wish, that racism on youtube wasn't there, it sickens me when I see verbal fights break out.

Racism, for my part, doesn't exist where i'm at, because well 'I DON'T ALLOW THAT #!' not at all!

Not around me, nor near me, white against black, latinos, indians, hindus, or religion.

Kind debate is ok, fighting, and false stereotypes are unacceptable!!!

Totally unacceptable!!!

One day though, our great, great, great grandchildren, will live in a society, where racism, is void, gay is ok, all the #ty problems are no more.

I just wish I was born then!

Although I guess 400 years ago I wish I would've been born in the now!

Hell of a dilemma!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I am not raciast;
but i totally disagree the black culture;
they are trying to be gangsters, and pimps and ho's and criminals and evil fkin people;

i do not stand for that type of negative energy;
and i do not care what race is pushing it;
in my book it gets no play at all

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by DjSharperimage

You may not be racist, though you do a good job of stereotyping.

I believe, its people views similar to yours that create the very negative energy that you dislike.

They are not all gangsters. I see your jealousy,in that they have a way of uniting, and maybe you feel isolated. dont feel threatened.

Just live.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

reply to post by DjSharperimage

You may not be racist, though you do a good job of stereotyping.

I believe, its people views similar to yours that create the very negative energy that you dislike.

They are not all gangsters. I see your jealousy,in that they have a way of uniting, and maybe you feel isolated. dont feel threatened.

Just live.

i used to be a part of that culture;
so no;
i dont like it;
they are mostly all wanna be criminals and scam artists;
i have met a like 2 or 3 intelligent black people'
but they are rare.....

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   

i used to be a part of that culture;
so no;
i dont like it;
they are mostly all wanna be criminals and scam artists;
i have met a like 2 or 3 intelligent black people'
but they are rare.....

You have obviously not met a lot of black people...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
We have no problem separating race in the animal kingdom. Dogs for example, of course we choose our words differently and call them different "breeds". But studies tell us there are differences in intelligence, aggression or even which breeds are best for kids.

Is this racism or accepted truth?

It is politically incorrect to point out differences between the races of man.
Whether these differences are advantageous, disadvantageous or neither and just simply different, it is just plain unacceptable to discuss it.

Humans will always be thinking, reasoning and self aware animals. We will continue to seek out the why's of life until we are gone. This is one of those things that separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

Racism will always be a part of the human race. It is my belief that we must come to terms with this in order for us to move forward.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Wow, lots of racist remarks in this thread about racism, eh?

I agree with what some have said about our primitive origins contributing to a tribal/us vs them mentality. They say the most racist people in the South pre Civil War were poor white people, because at least they were above slaves in the pecking order. It's part of a survival mentality to think you're more powerful than someone else in society. That all said, however, we are centuries past those tribal needs and I think it's important that we become aware of our own racism and act against it. Anytime anyone says "most" of a culture or race is "something", it's just ignorance. And that's the beginning of many of our historical troubles, we become convinced they are "all" evil or bent on our destruction, and then the war wagons roll out.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
why are humans racist in the 1st place? as we are all members of the human race, why do we concentrate on the differences, like skin tones?

I think bigot is a more appropriate term as there is only one race, the human race.

why do bigots blame (insert group here) for their ills?

insecurity. ignorance. immaturity.

that about covers it. they are ignorant to the truth, fed lies about this group and their ignorance allows them to believe that the specific group, all of them, the millions, are all equally responsible for whatever lies the bigot believes. The bigot is insecure, unsure of his or her own abilities and, as such, needs to bring others down to ensure that they appear superior. Thus, you get all kinds of moronic claims about various groups of people.

Immaturity - the bigot is incapable of admitting his or her own shortcomings and, like a 4 year old who loses a game of candy land, they blame someone else instead. The reason you live where you are, why you make what you make, etc is because of you, not because of some large group of people who look or think differently. That's immature.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I would love to state there is no racism in regards to President Barack Obama. Unfortunately, at almost all the protest rallies there are people showing up with stuffed monkeys with Pres Obama's name on them and posters showing our President decked out as a Zulu warrior.

There are many protesting out there who do not like the President's policies or politics. However, it would do us a big disservice to claim there is no racial motives in some of the people who are protesting.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I see most of you can still not see the elephant. Obama was right, to solve this problem we have to talk about it, actually SEE the elephant.Than we can talk. Unfortunately PC has made it almost improssible to do. I will try to do this PC. Let's see if I get kicked off.

First our forefathers made a mistake. All men are NOT created equal. We are created unequal. I have no equal in the world. Gee I am arragant. Let me say that again in a different way. I am NOT EQUAL to anybody else in the world. Sounds better? Semantics.

People from Chicago drive better in the snow and rain than people from the desert of New Mexico. Chicgoans have been doing it all their lives, those from the desert rarely. Does that mean that ALL Chicagoans are better in the snow than those from the desert? No. There are probably some from the desert who are better at it than those from Chicago. Special circumstance. On the whole though I think you will agree that statement is true.

The same could be said about drivers from the south versus the north versus from mountains versas plains and so forth. They DO drive differently according to what they are used to. The generalization can be useful and over all will be usually accurate.

Men are generally stronger than women. Women generally have more stamina than men. Individual cases are different. In most jobs today that differance does not matter. There are other differances too. Viva la differance! However no matter how much PC says men and women ARE different.

Cultures are differant. They dictate how a person will usually react to a particular situation. NLP is BASED on this and from what I have seen it is one of the most powerful tools for controlling people I have ever seen. It works.

People are NOT equal! The differances DO matter! Some people can understand some things easier than others and it is the opposite situation with other things. Now lets see if I get kicked off.

Blacks are not equal to Whites who are not equal to Browns who are not equal to Yellows who are not equal to Reds who are not equal to Blacks. Period. Individuals are different from groups. Groups have certain characteristics, that is why they are a group.

Now notice I didn't say ANYONE or group or race is better than another. It is my belief that until we get off this PC thing that everyone is equal and start discussing our differances and how we can use them to benefit all that the ism's will continue.

Racism, sexism, ageism, you name it. They are all based on a lack of understanding of other people. Until we understand our DIFFERANCES and are willing to talk about them the ism's will stay, misunderstandings will occur, and hatred will run rampant. Your choice.

Have a good one.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
A man in the UK was recently convicted of planning fire-bombings on Pakistani families and businesses, a real racist extremist. What I found odd that is that the bloke looked like an inbred son-of-a-bitch, lived in his mum's house at the age of 40 and was unskilled and unemployed. Who in the hell does he think he's superior to? I suppose somebody with that little to hang his ego on resorted to the final refuge of the truly, benightedly ignorant, that is the colour of his skin, as a means to distract himself from how big a waste of space he is.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jerk_Idiot
I see most of you can still not see the elephant. Obama was right, to solve this problem we have to talk about it, actually SEE the elephant.Than we can talk. Unfortunately PC has made it almost improssible to do. I will try to do this PC. Let's see if I get kicked off.

First our forefathers made a mistake. All men are NOT created equal. We are created unequal. I have no equal in the world. Gee I am arragant. Let me say that again in a different way. I am NOT EQUAL to anybody else in the world. Sounds better? Semantics.

People from Chicago drive better in the snow and rain than people from the desert of New Mexico. Chicgoans have been doing it all their lives, those from the desert rarely. Does that mean that ALL Chicagoans are better in the snow than those from the desert? No. There are probably some from the desert who are better at it than those from Chicago. Special circumstance. On the whole though I think you will agree that statement is true.

The same could be said about drivers from the south versus the north versus from mountains versas plains and so forth. They DO drive differently according to what they are used to. The generalization can be useful and over all will be usually accurate.

Men are generally stronger than women. Women generally have more stamina than men. Individual cases are different. In most jobs today that differance does not matter. There are other differances too. Viva la differance! However no matter how much PC says men and women ARE different.

Cultures are differant. They dictate how a person will usually react to a particular situation. NLP is BASED on this and from what I have seen it is one of the most powerful tools for controlling people I have ever seen. It works.

People are NOT equal! The differances DO matter! Some people can understand some things easier than others and it is the opposite situation with other things. Now lets see if I get kicked off.

Blacks are not equal to Whites who are not equal to Browns who are not equal to Yellows who are not equal to Reds who are not equal to Blacks. Period. Individuals are different from groups. Groups have certain characteristics, that is why they are a group.

Now notice I didn't say ANYONE or group or race is better than another. It is my belief that until we get off this PC thing that everyone is equal and start discussing our differances and how we can use them to benefit all that the ism's will continue.

Racism, sexism, ageism, you name it. They are all based on a lack of understanding of other people. Until we understand our DIFFERANCES and are willing to talk about them the ism's will stay, misunderstandings will occur, and hatred will run rampant. Your choice.

Have a good one.

Couldn't had said it better myself.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join