It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Let's get it all out, nicely.

The elephant is here.

And it needs some attention.

So here is a picture of an elephant, if you can't get the metaphor.

There it is, in the middle of your computer, embrace it. Understand it. And better yet, question the hell out of it.

Racism, is abundant, and even more so, racism cryers, trump any group out there.

He's a racist, she's a racist, the non racist is a racist.

Where is the line though?

What makes a person a racist?

It's seems odd, that one person can be labelled a racist.

But I see no method, for discerning whether one is racist or not?

Is it, because their white? Is that it?

Is it because they oppose a japanese person? Is that what makes someone a racist?

I fail to see how people are as easily called racist, as Janet Napolatino calls american citizens terrorists?!

It's messing up my profile working on fixing it.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by Republican08]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

wiki

i agree with that definition.

what gets me is how within this past week it seems to have come out of nowhere and exploded...like lady gaga

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick

Racism is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

wiki

i agree with that definition.

what gets me is how within this past week it seems to have come out of nowhere and exploded...like lady gaga

Lady Gaga, has some good previous attributes, but don't get me started lol.

But what is the exact point when someone is allowed to be labeled a racist?

What is meant by it? Concerning the wiki argument.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
well maybe we here on ATS can have a mature discussion on the subject as, like the OP says it's the elephant in the room.
MY question is

why are humans racist in the 1st place? as we are all members of the human race, why do we concentrate on the differences, like skin tones?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
well maybe we here on ATS can have a mature discussion on the subject as, like the OP says it's the elephant in the room.
MY question is

why are humans racist in the 1st place? as we are all members of the human race, why do we concentrate on the differences, like skin tones?

I believe, as an evolutionist, we all originated in africa.

So we're all africans lol.

But I think, media has a big part in it.

But as the saying goes.

"You can't reason racism out of a woman, because reason didn't put it there".

I said woman, as a consciousness raiser. Yeah, deep.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I like this thought, it peaked something in me in it.

The human race, is a race, agreed, yes.

We as the human race, don't condone animal torture, or the such.

And when it takes place, we don't say, well certain animals are ok for this, we say unanimously no, no to all of it.

Although some soft, and loud and mute speakers in it. But still there.

Now, why can't we figure this out in our own race?

Is it that hard?

I wish upon the day when we're all one colour, but wow, is that what it takes for racism to disappear, that there is nothing to be racist against!!!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
A lot of times I feel disgusted with my own people (Vietnamese) because they have customs that i strongly disagree with, even though i was born in Vietnam. Particularly the way treat people outside their circle of culture.

Does that make me a racist?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
A lot of times I feel disgusted with my own people (Vietnamese) because they have customs that i strongly disagree with, even though i was born in Vietnam. Particularly the way treat people outside their circle of culture.

Does that make me a racist?

lol, I can't answer that.

I can't remember who it was, but someone said, those that question their group, circle, country, nationality, are the wisest amongst us.

I think, you're a thinker, a person who disagrees with a culture, albeit it your own.

Although I never would've thought you were vietnamese.

Not savvy with them. Probably for the better, their people in my eyes.

I feel disgusted at my times, I'm canadian, but raised most my life in Texas, and trust me, I don't agree with alot they do!

I may make fun of a redneck, but the moment my car breaks down, you know who i'm going to call!!!

And it's happened.

That racism, that kind, is myopic, but it helps overcome.

It's like I guess a doctor making fun of a pediatrician, until his child is sick, and a pediatrician is needed, (not savvy there, but you know what i'm getting at).

We may not like each other, but we need each other.

But I feel racism, is indeed a form of 'hatred'. And that's what i'm getting at, when does a person become racist?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Racist, IMO, is when you have a deep hatred for a race(s) and pick on people of that race.

*Example of not being racist: If i work with a Balck guy and he dose something stupid and i turn round and call him a *snip* Idiot, that don't make me Racist. Or vice versa, that don't make him Racist. IMO!

*Example of being racist: I see a black guy walking down the street and i go over and call him names and hurt him, because he's black. IMO!

Am not racist, i don't have a hatred or dislike for any race on this world. At the end of the day, we are all the same!

Tsom87

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 9/18/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Well you bring up a good point, which made me think. Nowadays I don't think racism is about skin color anymore. It's about culture. General racism that is, there are still groups who hate certain people because of what skin or minority they are just because.

I think it's more of a clash of cultural traditions and customs. I grew up in Texas myself and for the most part, have never been looked differently than anyone else, except for being teased about naturally being good at math ect, but thats more stereotyping than racism. I'm really greatful for southern hospitality!

Racism is a two edged sword, it can cut both ways, used as a weapon and a defense.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by TSOM87

I think that it's before you go and hurt an asian for being asian, the point after you call him a Ch***.

Or maybe before, Racism, lies in the heart, if you hurt him, yes legally for that, it's a hate crime, by the court system, but what at the heart of a person, deems him a 'racist'.

Alot of Obama opposers are called racist, but they may of never, probably never, hurt a person of another ethnic group for the sole reason that they were of a different ethnicity, so what defines them as a racist?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TSOM87
Racist, IMO, is when you have a deep hatred for a race(s) and pick on people of that race.

*Example of not being racist: If i work with a Balck guy and he dose something stupid and i turn round and call him a *snip* Idiot, that don't make me Racist. Or vice versa, that don't make him Racist. IMO!

*Example of being racist: I see a black guy walking down the street and i go over and call him names and hurt him, because he's black. IMO!

Am not racist, i don't have a hatred or dislike for any race on this world. At the end of the day, we are all the same!

Tsom87

racism can be a lot more subtle than the calling of names and verbal abuse.
We have institutional racism in the UK in our police forces for example.

Mod Edit : snipped quote

[edit on 9/18/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Racism is a two edged sword, it can cut both ways, used as a weapon and a defense.

Bravo, right there, is a good point, starred.

It can be used as a defense, I've never used it, but wanted to when criticized in real life, if it comes up, I stick to facts. Provable facts.

You've made me think too!

It's not really about skin color any more, it is about culture, and well, how can we possibly avoid this, when they are clashing like this!

Mexicans creeping across borders, some are good some are bad. I've met both, and had racist thoughts, and said racist things, but, the main thing is though, i've met so many mexicans, that were illegals and legals, or natural americans, that blew my mind and made me realize that my bias, was (snipped) up. That, maybe I shouldn't generalize.

Which later turned to, I SHOULDN'T GENERALIZE!!!

And all in all, it's led me down a better life, because well, nice guys finish first, and Dawkins explains this phenomenaly well!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:16 AM
link   
As i said in the original racism thread:

You will never see an end to racism until you put an end to all black colleges, the NAACP, Ebony magazine, Bet, Black Panthers, Gangs, KKK, Arian Nation, etc;

The fact is that humans are tribal creatures by nature and look for reasons/ways to band together and find a means to identify with each other, and in doing so they highlight the differences of others, and as we often see, when someone sees something different and the do not understand/comprehend/appreciate the difference, they develop an intolerance for it. after all, we humans are as a race fairly lazy, and it is easier to simply disagree with and dislike another culture instead of taking the time to identify and understand.

this also takes into consideration that humans are territorial, and when a group of people have a feature that identifies them as an orginal and unique entity, they tend to reject others trying to display it in any way. face it, red necks dont like to see gangsters blaring country music, sporting boots and square dancing with the local ladies... not that they would.

now dig deeper and when there becomes a true distaste between culture/races.... then we humans begin to take nominal and normal daily interactions personally offensive, whether they were originally intended as such, and then you get into all sorts of the truly horrible human istinctual reactions...

we cannot all be the same, and we cannot understand all differences. and until we can all forgive past atrocities and embrace all future ones, we are gonna hate each other.

we are all racists. in one way or another. some of us are simply different in how we display our innermost secret thoughts...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wx4caster

I never understood, how the fight for desegregation was, and how quickly segregation was made by the black community, from churches to schools.

I thought in my lifetime, I would see the end to it, but it seems to grow, segregated television and all the sorts!

I think tribal feelings are long ago, and should be forgotten, we are one race, struggling to move out of that, we have much bigger issues.

I hope when, differences are solved, we figure out the psychology behind it, That won't be in my lifetime, but I hope it does get figured out...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Racism, is abundant, and even more so, racism cryers, trump any group out there.

I agree, there is a lot of racism in the world.

He's a racist, she's a racist, the non racist is a racist.

Where is the line though?

What makes a person a racist?

Discrimination based on a social construct, i.e. race. It doesn't matter if you are white, black, brown, yellow, red or other race. If you ask a biologist s/he will probably tell you that there is only one race: the human race.

It's seems odd, that one person can be labelled a racist.

Not odd at all! It usually means either the label is accurate or it is false and has only been used because the opponent ran out of arguments and tried to play the "race card".

But I see no method, for discerning whether one is racist or not?

Is it, because their white? Is that it?

Is it because they oppose a japanese person? Is that what makes someone a racist?

I fail to see how people are as easily called racist, as Janet Napolatino calls american citizens terrorists?!

It's messing up my profile working on fixing it.

You know of all the racist people those who are "blissfully unaware" of the racism are the worst. Usually, they will start saying something in the vein of: "Look I am really not racist, but ..." So, where do you stand? Are you one of those?

As far as Janet Napolitano is concerned, if she calls some American citizens terrorists, then maybe it happens because they are? The logic is: If she had said all American citizens are terrorist then this statement is selfevidently false, but if she said some American citizens are terrorist then this statement may be true or false.

Star and Flag for you, just because I believe that this is an important issue, even though I have a hunch that our views will not agree.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by WalterRatlos]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Great documentary never seen that before. " tit for tat " genius.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Where's the elephant? Where? I can't see it!

On a more serious note, I've always been under the impression that racism is a learned 'ism'. Handed down from parents who were handed it from their parents etc...
We live in a small town (we moved here from a large capital city) and the locals are extremely racist. My kids have been quite disgusted at some of the things they hear come out of the mouths of the local kids. More often than not, it turns out these kids parents are racist also.

Neither of my kids are racist or even seem to have racist tendencies. Well, that I am aware of
They were both taught about racism as my partner and I always seized the opportunity to teach them about it as events occurred and when something came up on the news that we could point out was an example of racism, albeit on the MSM!

I wonder if anyone agrees with this or am I just deluded? lol

This subject reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry dated a female of Asian descent and got called a racist......his reply was "How can I be a racist if I like their race?"

I like to think I am completely unbaised towards race. Not an issue in sight in that department. In fact, at Uni I had to write an essay and I chose to write about the unfair treatment of Australia's Aboriginal community....and got labelled a racist by my uni teacher, because I came across as biased toward the caucasian community lol. Just can win!

So that experience has taught me that the human perception of racism is an imbalance in polarity, of sorts. Lean too much towards one way and you're labelled a 'racist' and likewise if you lean too much the other way.

Hope this post doesn't come across as a rambling mess....

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Rascism is a HUGE problem in South Africa, even though the whole world thinks its some sort of "Rainbow Nation"!

Just look at this guy who leads the ANC Youth

en.wikipedia.org...

With Statement such as

“Where are all the white people? If it was rugby they would all be here”

he can only be labelled as such.

Here is a letter responding to his remarks

Julius Malema, please accept my apologies for not attending the welcoming event of our athletes returning from Berlin held at OR Tambo Airport. malema-1-1As a white Afrikaans-speaking African, I work for myself and forget about the real important issues in life. You see, Mr Malema, I had several meetings to attend that day and I really need to work long hours to make ends meet in these recessionary times. One of the reasons why I have to work hard is that not only do I support my own family, I also support three other families. I have a part-time gardener and two domestic workers that share my household duties. Your comments and displeasure at whites not attending these events (at OR Tambo) really struck the right chord. I called my family and held a long discussion with them. I also decided to reduce my workload and will in future be earning less, but will have more free time to attend welcoming events at our airports and also perhaps participate in some marches. Due to my new outlook on life, I have had to scale down my expenses. Regretfully, I had to reduce my commitments to my staff and decided to let Elsie go, one of my domestic workers, aged 54. I also decided to reduce the working time of my other domestic staff and cut their salaries by more than half. In the past, my total salary bill to support the three families came to about R3 500 a month, about 15 percent of my monthly income. Now my outlay is down to R1 500 a month for these families and not only do I save money but I have free time to attend these events you mentioned. I tried to explain to Elsie why she is no longer employed and why her three children will suffer. She is obviously upset as she has no other means to buy food or clothes for her family. She also wanted to know if I will still provide her with free medicine, food and clothes from time to time. Obviously all this falls away as I have to be at OR Tambo when the Boks return from Australia, the cricketers return from their summer tour, Mr Zuma returns from Angola, etc. I am also not sure why Elsie wanted to know where you stay. Perhaps you can publish your home address in the media as Elsie and her three children want to meet you. See you at the Airport. Gawie Nothnagel Brackendowns, Alberton

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Humans like to be sectioned into groups of similar attributes.
It's not meant to be offensive, just part of a genetic plan from thousands of years ago when we lived in packs.
Anti-racism stance is going against the natural order of what we are. That does not mean, we should be a slave to our programming and that racism should be embraced, just that it is a natural state for us. We alter our programming with the way we eat, work, etc. this is is no different. We are an adaptable species which is our strength. Sadly we also like to exploit, so therefore we've had slavery and genocide to add to our CVs. Another exploit is anyone who now has a grievance quickly has a look to see if the race card can be played.

I think the best story I've heard about what I'm on about is on the set of Planet of the Apes, with Charlton Heston.
EDIT:
Kim Hunter, who played the chimpanzee Zira in the movie, stated that her most powerful memories of her days on the set concerned the segregation of the characters, wherein during filming breaks, the chimps sat with the chimps, gorillas with gorillas, and so on.
www.thehotspotonline.com...

Edited to state it wasn't Heston who said it

[edit on 17/9/09 by Daisy-Lola]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join