It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tactical Light Idea from ThinkGeek

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
One of my favorite websites to browse through for fun is ThinkGeek dot com. I get the occasional email from them about new products and whatnot and found a nice little gem I thought y'all might be interested in.

Now I'm not advertising for the site or anything, like I said, just found this and wanted to share.

The flashlight found here is quite nifty. Some of the specs:

* Recharges in 90 seconds
* No batteries - uses ultra-capacitors, no memory loss
* Made of a firearm-grade high-strength polymer
* Impact, abrasion, and water resistant
* Runtime: 60 mins on standard brightness mode (120 mins total on various modes)
* Will charge and hold its charge 50,000 times
* 4 output options: Standard (90 lumens), Peak (270 lumens), Strobe and Standby
* Dimensions: 11.5" x 1.75" dia. (29.2 x 4.5cm)

With what else they say about it I may end up picking one up next payday.

Anyway like I said, might be a decent addition to a bug out/in bag or even something for everyday use around the house.
What do you think?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Does sound like a pretty good Torch although I'm not actually sure myself how bright that is. Sounds like the kind of item that would be invaluable in a power failure or similar though. You may want a larger more powerful battery powered one as well though depending on the situation.

Thinkgeek always does have some cool gadgets.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaker

you'd still need a powersource to charge it...I have had a shake flashlight from sharper image for 6 years and it still works; I just checked on it

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Got an Inova 6V. 115lumens is perfect, carbon fiber barrel is lightweight, 2 Cr123 lithiums ran me for five solid hours in an underground tunnel with barely any noticeable drop in brightness. all you would need then is a lanyard and one more pair of lithiums in your pocket.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by thaknobodi

Perhaps the light from this site isn't as good as other options... however they do have more survival leaning stuff too.

I used to have one of those crank charging little flashlights but that would never stay lit long enough to do much with no matter how long you cranked it.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Shaker

Its NOT really a good Tactical Light. Wow. I can't believe 5.1.1 is actually advertising this as an actual Taclight.

The on-/off-switch is not properly placed to use for tactical purposes. This is especially true if you're trying to use this so-called taclight with a firearm.

Its size is too big to handle in conjunction with a fiream.

Price is too expensive for what you get compared to other taclights.

This flashlight is only good to use as a regular flashlight, NOT a taclight.

You're better off buying the traditional SureFire 6P for less than half the cost.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by guppy]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shaker

Lol. i have one in my glove box... it came in handy helping someone change a belt on their car, but yeah, the cranky thing can be annoying on the ears. (it would be a horrible tool should silence be key.)

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Okay so I'll be looking into the surefire and the inova mentioned earlier. Thanks for the input!

What caught my eye about the light I linked was the ten second recharge time. I figured if I was in a car or on a generator I wouldn't want to have to have the extra time running it just to recharge batteries if it came down to that.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I agree with Guppy I wouldn't necessarily call it a "tactical" flashlight. Too big and the switch position wouldn't work well for a tactical implementation.

But it's still cool as hell! 90 second recharge time for 60 minutes of light is AMAZING!

90 lumen "normal" mode is pretty bright -- for reference, a 4-D Maglight puts out about 120 lumens. 270-lumen "high" mode is REALLY bright.

I'd be curious what the beam pattern is like. Every flashlight I've ever seen with multiple LED's has a really crappy beam, not very concentrated and the light disperses quickly. Another reason why this probably wouldn't make a good "tactical" light.

Price is pretty steep but to be expected with newer technology. Will be interesting to see if other well-known taclite manufacturers (Surefire, Nitecore, etc) start developing similar products

top topics

join