It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best View Ever of a Galaxy Near You

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

NASA’s Swift satellite has captured the best view of a neighboring spiral galaxy that we’ve seen yet.

Between May and July of last year, Swift took 330 ultraviolet images of the our closest spiral neighbor, the galaxy M31 in the constellation Andromeda. Compiling all 85 gigabytes of image data resulted in the highest-resolution ultraviolet picture of a galaxy that scientists have ever had, and researchers say the new mosaic will give them a closer look at how stars are born in the Andromeda galaxy, 2.5 million light-years away

From this article: Best View Ever of a Galaxy Near You

Here is a Hi-Res version: Andromeda

And a "fly by" by Nasa: Nasa Fly by

The majesty of the universe is simply stunning. I don't think the best computer generated version could compare to the real thing. As optics get better, we are being treated to some absolutely amazing photos.

Wired.com just came out with the 360 panoramic view of the milky way also, so if you enjoy things like this I would reccomend the site!

Enjoy!

[edit on 16-9-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Oh, my, that is beautiful!

The discoveries made by our scientists in the Universe never cease to amaze and astound me, we seem to be learning more about our surroundings every day.

S and F.

Roy.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Well with all that is going wrong with the human species these NASA pictures that are released every so often give me hope. Man the Universe is one fantastic place. I hope and pray that we make it passed our immaturity and develop someday into a peaceful spacefaring race.

Hey one can still wish upon a star....

PEACE

Slay

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
thanks for this, i think its always good to kick back as a species and look at whats around us.

s&f

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It's a shame that we're so consumed with fighting each other on our little rock and not pooling our resources into finding ways to explore the universe around us! I'm willing to bet the problems at home will start to seem insignificant once people start branching out into space and seeing how beautiful, mysterious, and immense our reality is.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
wow amazing!

now we just need to get there and try to find more life

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I wonder if people in the Andromeda galaxy suck compared to the people in the milkyway galaxy?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   
WOW

It reminds me of the first time I opened 'Brief History of Time' and saw a photo of a galaxy... I had a mad, intense feeling of reality (you know what I'm on about). This is the same. Can you actually comprehend how vast this is? Not only that, this is REAL. This is beauty that cannot be destroyed by the humans... yet.

Awesome find.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by and14263]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Wow, that image is so crisp that I think I can even see the "Andromeda Strain"

Nice Find!

S&F

[edit on 14-10-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Why is every picture that comes from .gov edited look at the hi res in the bottom right hand corner its has been cut cropped and things added

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

S&F for you, this a beautiful picture.

2nd line'

new topics

top topics

join