It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe over 1,000 people were murdered due to the actions of a UK national newspaper

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
At this specific point of my life I felt unsure of my actions, where my life was going, that in my mind I was looking for the right direction to the path of freedom. One night I was concentrating while listening to a Cd. I paid close attention to the words the vocalists' were singing about, how it fell in with the groove. Then how the intensity and speed flowed through the whole hour and 20 minutes. The title of the Cd is "Evolve" and many of the songs have repetitive phrases said over and over. I literally started to compare it to my actual life. Such repetitive words like freedom got me. I noticed how the songs on the playlist were named from beginning to end in such an order. It took me many days to realize the Cd was like an instruction manual for me as it helped me evolve in a positive way in which my mind started to awaken. Well lets just say that Im a keened to all my senses at their fullest potentials which have made my life to today so much better

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDailyPlanet

I've now seen your post complaining about the use of the colour red by the BBC. I retract my view on the OP, you should keep taking the tablets!

Where do you want it all to stop? Everthing in baby colours only with nice fuzzy language incase it incites someone?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I consider the piece about the BBC one of the most important documents I have ever written. Consider the ghastly stagings of "bull fights" - look how they abuse the colour red to try to enrage the bull.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awakened2012
At this specific point of my life I felt unsure of my actions, where my life was going, that in my mind I was looking for the right direction to the path of freedom. One night I was concentrating while listening to a Cd. I paid close attention to the words the vocalists' were singing about, how it fell in with the groove. Then how the intensity and speed flowed through the whole hour and 20 minutes. The title of the Cd is "Evolve" and many of the songs have repetitive phrases said over and over. I literally started to compare it to my actual life. Such repetitive words like freedom got me. I noticed how the songs on the playlist were named from beginning to end in such an order. It took me many days to realize the Cd was like an instruction manual for me as it helped me evolve in a positive way in which my mind started to awaken. Well lets just say that Im a keened to all my senses at their fullest potentials which have made my life to today so much better

That's great to read. Nice words and nice music that contribute to making you the person that you are.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
The people who carry Knifes are probably not intelligent enough to read the Daily Mail.

I bet their rap music infested minds has more to do with it, Jamiacan related music is full of kill and more kill no wonder they think its the norm and the only way. What they lack is belief in God as a role model who loves and not each others hate.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by The time lord]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awakened2012

That's fascinating! Can you give me more info on the CD so I can get it?

Also do know of more music like it because I will no doubt one day get bored of it.

Over and out
Twisted-Inside-Out

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I saw a headline yesterday with the words VOTE FRAUD in it, does this mean that people are being primed to vote for corrupt politicians at the next election?

My only question is, when are we going to ban verbs?

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
Of course, the problem with this scenario is that it suggests that 'hoodies' in Brum, Manchester and South London all read the Daily Mail.

A paper, which, is predominantly read by the elderly and lunatic right-wingers.

across the pond here in america, i get the feeling that they are using england for NWO experiments, to see if it's mangeable, because of it's population size and isolation from the main continent of europe... even though you have the dover driver diver...good luck chaps

[edit on 21-9-2009 by jimmyx]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
There only becomes a serious issue if the metaphor used is a cacophemism which might have the risk of misinterpretation to a (violent potential) youngster or a (violent potential) mentally disturbed person.

The issue is with newsprinters / commentators saying the knives are out, and then wondering why knife crime is committed.

Since I sent cease and desist ("stop") letters to newspaper companies, knife crime homicide dropped dramatically.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by The time lord

But I bet their rap music infested minds has more to do with it, Jamiacan related music is full of kill and more kill no wonder they think its the norm and the only way. What they lack is belief in God a role model who loves.

I have testimony and evidence, that the metaphor abuse issue has had a substantial involvement in driving up knife crime in this country. However, I think you're right, if the lyrics are illegally inciting violence, this can be a catalyst, and yes I have heard some of this kind of music where the lyrics incite violence, it's an absolute outrage. Over on "Stop Knife Crime ...... NOW!", the facebook group, there is a long thread about the influence of certain types of music in cases arisen of violence.

[edit on 21-9-2009 by TheDailyPlanet]

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

If they stopped doing it when you asked them to, that to me seems like they aren't doing it intentionally. Would you agree?

Over and out
Twisted-Inside-Out

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Link to an article in the Indepedent newspaper:-

www.independent.co.uk...

The headline is :- "How this man taught me to kill in four moves"

I was horrified by what I read.

So, I made the following points in addition to an earlier post called "RISK OF KNIFE METAPHOR CACOPHEMISM CONFUSION":-

Free publicity to a man who teaches people how to kill
TheDailyPlanet wrote:

Saturday, 19 September 2009 at 01:49 pm (UTC)
I'm completely gobsmacked that the Independent has chosen to run this article.

The Independent is giving publicity to a man who teaches people how to kill.

It is not clear that these are for self-defence purposes, it is not clear at all.

And as I have already said, I believe they may be a problem with the Independent's use of "Knives are out" as headlines.

I'm sorry but I personally I am losing sympathy fast for the publishers of this newspaper.

The fact that the article has been published has left me quite upset.

I cannot believe you went to press with this!
TheDailyPlanet wrote:

Saturday, 19 September 2009 at 01:52 pm (UTC)
I quote the free publicity you gave this man, look at the words he uttered:-

"Asocial behaviour is where the head drops, the knives come out, nobody talks, and you're just trying to end another human being.

Those are the events that I am talking about, those are the events that people come to me for."

I cannot believe you went to press with this, I am very shocked.

This is an outrage
TheDailyPlanet wrote:

Saturday, 19 September 2009 at 05:39 pm (UTC)
I am feeling very let down.

Not only have you gone to press with an article where you give free publicity to a man that assists people with situations like "the knives come out". I see in the printed paper on page 31 there is a grotesque cartoon covering half the page depicting very unkindly, a Gordon Brown - with rolls of fat on his body, holding and depicted just on the point of weilding a huge sword, already depicted dripping with blood, grasping the hair of a terrified woman, shown with her top half completely naked.

Furthermore, I see on page 12 of Sport, there is an article that I might have wanted to read about Gary Player, the golfer, and 50% of the article is obscured by what looks like a piece of paper which has got in the way of the printing plates, rendering the article totally unreadable.

What are the implications for violent crime, printing cartoon violence of the Prime Minister murdering women, of publicising a man who will teach people the best method for effective killing, and indeed - your regular usage over many years of the knife metaphor cacophemisms "Knives are out", "Knives are being sharpened" [in the context of the preparation for kniving], and "Knives out". There is much information on the internet about the problems of this metaphor, (you can search "knife metaphors" on Google and the information is there)

I am going to have to make another communication to your publisher, Mr. Gavin O'Reilly, and another communication to the Managing Editor, Mr. Simon Kelner, because this is simply repulsive. I am returning the printed newspaper I bought today, to request a refund, including my postage costs, and I will consult with my solicitors over this matter too now (in addition to my possible pending action against the Daily Mail newspaper).

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
TheDailyPlanet, i realise Cacophemism is your buzz word in this thread, but can you please explain to me in concise English how 'Knives are out' can be deemed to be even slightly Cacophemistic.

I'm intrigued.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Twisted-Inside-Out

If they stopped doing it when you asked them to, that to me seems like they aren't doing it intentionally. Would you agree?

Over and out
Twisted-Inside-Out

The best way for me to answer that I think is to re-quote part from my opening post:-

I first started writing to Mr. Dacre, Chief Editor for Daily Mail group in 2001 to urge him to stop using knife cacophemisms - often by Special Delivery post, so as to prevent resultant knife crime due to uneducated, violent youngsters' literal misinterpretation, and also the catalyst effect to those with a very serious mental condition. Significantly, in 2001, each time I wrote, the Daily Mail would use knife cacophemisms even more, sometimes on a weekly basis. And on a weekly basis, people were being murdered with knives. Testimony was sent in 2006 (from a criminal) that these headlines would lead to knife crime. Finally in 2006, the Managing Editor of the newspaper assured that the cacophemisms would not further be used, after a brief break - the newspaper resumed using "knives are out" cacophemisms. The Chief Executive of DMGT plc was sent a cease and desist letter on June 22nd, requesting immediate cessation of use of knife cacophemisms in the interests of prevention of violence.

In September of 2008 my business paid for a one-off £1,800 "open letter" advertisement in the Times newspaper, yet again complaining about these violent headlines, and now pointing out the fact that I had spoken to 3 individuals who had cited The Daily Mail headline's for their knife crimes (these particular individuals had not commited murder incidentally).

However, at 8pm the evening before publication, the Managing Editor of the Times newspaper phoned to say that the open letter had been pulled because the Times felt that Mr. Dacre should be given a chance to defend these allegations. I was assured that Paul Dacre would telephone me - he never did, he got his deputy to, who proceeded to defend the newspaper as best he could. However, the use of knife cacophemisms STILL continued.

This newspaper company has ceased since June 22nd to use knife cacophemisms as headlines, however subsequent to the cease and desist letter they have now put knife cacophemisms into article text (on July 26th) as follows verbatim:- "In the wake of the credit crunch, however, the knives are out."

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
TheDailyPlanet, i realise Cacophemism is your buzz word in this thread, but can you please explain to me in concise English how 'Knives are out' can be deemed to be even slightly Cacophemistic.

I'm intrigued.

The 'Knives are out' is literally saying that knives have or are being got out.

A Definition of Cacophemism from the internet:-

"In language, both dysphemism (from the Greek dys δύς "mis-" and pheme φήμη "reputation") and cacophemism (in Greek kakos κακός "bad") refer to the usage of an intentionally harsh word or expression instead of a polite one; they are rough opposites of euphemism"

For example, the Daily Telegraph could have printed "Plot to oust Brown ends in failure" but instead they chose to print "Plot to knife Brown ends in failure", it's a cacophemism.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I'm sorry to say that every time in 2001 that I complained to Paul Dacre by Special Delivery post (pointing out that these knife metaphors may lead to violence), the reaction of the newspaper was to use the knife metaphor cacophemisms more within the headlines of its newsprint, and week in week out there were constant knife attacks and murders with knives.

You would need to find a direct cause and effect relationship between the actions. Even if you could find a correlation, correlations do not implicate causation. With this allegation, the Daily Mail could also argue that they were using the metaphor specifically because it had been socially relevant because of recent stabbings.

could EASILY be interpreted as "Get the knives out for Gordon Brown" by potential criminals. I knew regrettably that knife crime would possibly become a massive problem in the UK because of this headline alone.

This is a huge, irrational jump from "Knives out for Gorden Brown. There is no logical step from, for example, "The Pirate Bay Returns with Guns Blazing", to "The Pirate Bay Came Back and Shot Everybody". It is an Idiom. Even if the reader could not figure that out, this would just make them confused.

I have now spoken to 4 people in my town alone who cite Daily Mail knife cacophemism headlines as catalyst to their crimes! That's 4 out of a town population of 20,000 - imagine the country.

These are 4 people who lack any sense of personal responsibility. Throw the book at them (don't confuse this with actually assaulting someone with a book).

If the mentions of knives in headlines incites knife violence, aren't reports of knife violence also inciting more knife violence?

-from star in a jar

A rapist reads the title 'Rape girl' He's going to rape a girl, guaranteed.

This is an insane cause and effect.
1. the 'rapist' you describe is criminally insane to begin with... this is not to be attributed to a news paper article.
2. Do you know for a fact that every person who read the 'Rape Girl' headline actually went out and raped someone because of that article? You guaranteed me this. Show me the proof.
3. LINK MYTHS ABOUT RAPE Fewer than 5% of rapists are insane(definitely a precursor to taking a 'instructions' from a newspaper).

Perhaps you've heard of MKULTRA? That point aside, these people are not like you and I. We can see violent words and differentiate between right and wrong but some people have problems with that concept.

So blame MKULTRA if anyone (besides the criminal themselves).

I consider the piece about the BBC one of the most important documents I have ever written. Consider the ghastly stagings of "bull fights" - look how they abuse the colour red to try to enrage the bull.

Not relevant.

Is it possible you are a trial lawyer trying to make bank on a case against the Daily Mail? That is certainly what it sounds like.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Twisted-Inside-Out

Over and out
Twisted-Inside-Out

The Daily Mail newspaper today published, on their page 8, the double-page spread headline "KNIVES ARE OUT FOR ALESHA", exactly like that, with the words "KNIVES ARE" covering almost the entirety of the left hand page of the headline spread - an enormous headline, printed in block capitals.

They did this despite the fact that their Executive Managing Editor, Robin Esser, wrote to me in 2006 to say that "these phrases can be unhelpful in the fight against violence" and that he would send a memo to all editorial staff not to use them.

And they did it, despite the fact of testimony sent to them from a criminal that these kinds of headlines may lead to violence.

posted on Sep, 21 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
DAILY MAIL REFUSES TO CEASE PRINTING THE KNIVES ARE OUT DESPITE THE MANAGING EDITOR ADMITTING IN 2006 THAT THE PHRASE IS UNHELPFUL IN THE FIGHT AGAINST VIOLENCE

THE DAILY MAIL has completely disregarded our cease and desist letter with not just the above breach - KNIVES ARE OUT FOR ALESHA - which it appears they did not put on the internet but only in the 2 million circulation printed newspaper, as a double page spread headline, but also their article body text "In the wake of the credit crunch, however, the knives are out." And, they also published on the 22nd August:-

BLACK DOG: Reid's bullet gaffe gets a silencer... Daily Mail - UK
"Knives are being sharpened [in the context of the preparation for kniving] for the Health Secretary Andy Burnham after he said his support for the NHS was second only to his support for Everton FC."

So it appears Mr. Paul Dacre really doesn't seem to give two hoots about the violence that his headlines may lead to - as discussed on over 80 communications with the Daily Mail since July 2001.

With regret, legal action looks to be the only way forward,
for corporate incitement to murder.

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDailyPlanet
Consider the ghastly stagings of "bull fights" - look how they abuse the colour red to try to enrage the bull.

Bulls? You're talking about those colourblind animals, right?

posted on Sep, 22 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Auguste133

Originally posted by TheDailyPlanet
Consider the ghastly stagings of "bull fights" - look how they abuse the colour red to try to enrage the bull.

Bulls? You're talking about those colourblind animals, right?

There is indeed information which I was unaware about colourblind bulls - I will answer the point later on the appropriate thread, about the B.B.C.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join