It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe over 1,000 people were murdered due to the actions of a UK national newspaper

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but when I see a headline like "The Knives are out for ..." I don't feel like grabbing my switchblade. I think that the editor is making comparisons to the assassination of Julius Cesaer. Maybe he's a Shakespeare fan.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
Of course, the problem with this scenario is that it suggests that 'hoodies' in Brum, Manchester and South London all read the Daily Mail.

A paper, which, is predominantly read by the elderly and lunatic right-wingers.

Actually not true...

These papers do NOT need to purchased, as EVERY newsagent, corner shop, supermarket and a dozen other variety of retailers usually have these papers in complete view.

A headline is deliberately eye catching, it's a marketing technique. Now if somebody just glances at the headline while they nip into the shop for some cigarettes or chewing gum or whatever, they WILL see the headline saying 'knives out' etc.

This is how it subliminally catches you.

Same process applies for supermarkets who place their best offers at eye height, it's a retail/marketing technique designed to promote sales.

I've been saying this same thing for years, it's a form of unconscious mind control.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by VictorVonDoom
I'm sorry, but when I see a headline like "The Knives are out for ..." I don't feel like grabbing my switchblade. I think that the editor is making comparisons to the assassination of Julius Cesaer. Maybe he's a Shakespeare fan.

No... But for those who are inclined to act violently or carry weaponry, with that stuck in their head, they are more likely to use it.

Subconsious control.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by CRB86
Of course, the problem with this scenario is that it suggests that 'hoodies' in Brum, Manchester and South London all read the Daily Mail.

A paper, which, is predominantly read by the elderly and lunatic right-wingers.

Actually not true...

These papers do NOT need to purchased, as EVERY newsagent, corner shop, supermarket and a dozen other variety of retailers usually have these papers in complete view.

A headline is deliberately eye catching, it's a marketing technique. Now if somebody just glances at the headline while they nip into the shop for some cigarettes or chewing gum or whatever, they WILL see the headline saying 'knives out' etc.

This is how it subliminally catches you.

Same process applies for supermarkets who place their best offers at eye height, it's a retail/marketing technique designed to promote sales.

I've been saying this same thing for years, it's a form of unconscious mind control.

In actual fact, the Daily Mail's "knives are out" headlines have all been in the inner pages of the newspaper, but I think this is a myth that these groups of people just do not see the paper.

Last year the Daily Mail printed a small headline "Knives are out for.." on the right hand column of one of their pages, and just a few days later 8 people were stabbed to death in a 24 hour period, I'm sure this was the catalyst. Now, there is no-one being murdered in the UK by knives, and I hope it stays that way!

However, the Daily Telegraph printed a "knife dysphemism" on their front cover, and the Sun has had a small headline about metaphorical knives on the front cover.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Earlier I posted a link, but I thought I should post here a copy of the article. It was published in 'Inside Time', the newspaper for prisoners in the UK about a week ago, and I am already engaged in correspondence with ex-violent offenders, including ex-murderers:-

Have metaphors in the media led to knife crime?

I believe there may be a connection between headlines in newspapers using metaphorical language about knives and actual knife crime (involving real not metaphorical knives).

For example: on January 8th 2006, the Daily Mail printed the headline ‘Now they will stab him in the front’ (an article about the then Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy being removed from office). On May 1st 2009, the same newspaper printed the headline ‘After a week to forget, the knives are out’ (for Gordon Brown). In 2005, the Daily Mail also printed a double-page spread headline asking ‘Who will wield the knife?’ (this being about Tony Blair).

The Sun, on May 13th 2008, printed the headline ‘MPs queue up to knife Brown’. On the same day, a man was stabbed to death in Oxford Street, London. In May of this year, the Daily Mirror printed the sports page headline ‘Knives are out for Ancelloti’.

The problem I have with these headlines is twofold: many youngsters do not know that the expression 'knives are out' is metaphorical, in which case how can they tell that these headlines were not intended literally? Also, some people with mental health problems may take these headlines literally as a 'call' to get knives out - as they read the headlines and feel they pertain to them and how they should behave and conduct themselves.

I’d like to hear from anybody who has committed a violent or knife crime of any sort, who feels they may have been influenced by such use of the English language - particularly in newspaper headlines, or where it may have been a contributory factor. If this is the case, I would be pleased to hear from you and your information will be kept strictly confidential. If any other forms of media have acted as catalysts for you, and led to violent crime, I’d be pleased to hear from you.

Write to: [my organisation's address]

New Poetry Book On Sale

Inside Poetry, written entirely by prisoners. For more information see our Other Publications

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Could we please have some definitive dates for the times the word 'Knife' appeared in headlines and the subsequent stabbing?

After all, if you've been persuing this for 8 years, you will have some undeniable, empirical evidence to back these bizarre claims up, right?

Although i am even less inclined to believe this nonsense now you've admitted all the headlines were INSIDE the paper. So that means by definition there has to be an active perusing of the Mail in order to read these headlines.

I can't believe you've never heard the phrase "knives are out/knives out" before 2001. Why are the reactionaries always the least informed?

Shakespeare mate, Shakespeare.

"Et tu, Brute?"

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I finished reading the OP thinking "you're forgetting to take the drugs!". But when I thought about it, you do have a point.

I know the power of subliminal suggestion, imagery and marketing. With the word "Media" in your company name I guess you do too. Those that don't have knowledge of these techniques also tend to think that the negative images on cigarette packets don't have an effect.

Of course there are the occasional nutjob that will see words that he interprets as instructions, but enevitably these people will find a trigger wherever they look. As you are probably aware, people and their opinions are closely related to those of their personal networks so these suggestions don't necessary have to come directly from the source to reach the suggestable person.

However, what you have if your data is correct is a correlation, not a link. You should compare these data with times with more friendly headlines. Is there any strangeley positive news when postive headlines (lol) are printed? It is generally easy to pick correlations between between lots of unrelated data.

PS Cacophonism is a word I haven't heard before. I think I will use it more in conversation

[edit on 17/9/2009 by LightFantastic]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I don't often feel compelled to reply to a lot of threads on ATS but this one is too much!

TheDailyPlanet, can you provide documented evidence of your 8 year research/campaign?

According to you, you have single handedly eradicated knife crime from the UK!......that's a hell of an accomplishment, and all done by writing "Mr Angry of Brighton" letters to the editor of the Daily mail, asking......no, demanding that he ban the use of cacophemisms, the Daily Mail duly complied and the problem was solved!!!!

You sir should run for Parliament!

But then, the very next day, presumably influenced by my letter, "I'll show that guy how powerful the media is" or something like that, he sanctioned the highlighting of the word "AXED" on the front cover by printing it in Red, which blurs the metaphorical impression of the headline. And that very afternoon, a poor chap called Anthony Walker was killed with an Axe.

Why do you presume that your letter had any influence on the editor of the Daily Mail?.....and why do you presume that he sanctioned the use of a second headline in a direct response to your "Mr Angry" letter?

You've made a lot of claims and not backed a single one up!

What do you think your average 16 year old is doing right know?
reading the Daily Mail........or playing GTA????

The clues are there your just not looking hard enough

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Coincidently just before I came on ATS I was reading the BBC news web page. the headlines The knives are out for SNP budget greeted me.

Googling 'the knives are out' I found they are out for quite a few people including our government, also a track by Radiohead called knives out.

The phrase is even mentioned in the Collins dictionary.

There is no hidden agenda by the Daily Mail, the same phrase turns up in many newspapers and tv broadcasts, it has been used since I can remember.

Anyone who doubts the DM's stand on knife crime only needs to Google Daily Mail anti knife crime to make up their own minds.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDailyPlanet

In Northern Ireland throughout the "troubles" a certain newspaper media always used persuasive speak in their stories to try and evoke the "them and us" sympathy in a divided community. For instance, if terrorists from the "Them camp" died from their own bomb, the story would run that "Three men died after their homemade bomb exploded prematurely"
A similar story for the "Us camp" would run,"Three young men have died when the bomb they were carrying exploded prematurely" It was only when you read into any further detail you would find that in both cases they would all be around the same ages, invariably still in their teens.
Just one word is involved in making the difference, although that is not to say everyone missed the differentiation.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizzylizzy
There is no hidden agenda by the Daily Mail, the same phrase turns up in many newspapers and tv broadcasts, it has been used since I can remember.

Anyone who doubts the DM's stand on knife crime only needs to Google Daily Mail anti knife crime to make up their own minds.

If your "national family newspaper" ran the headline "Now they will stab him in the front", as the Mail did, what does this metaphor conjure up in your mind ? I advocate that that is not just a dodgy headline, but an illegal headline. Week in, week out the Daily Mail and its' group were printing phrases such as "Knives come out" or "Knives are out", and week in week out people were being murdered with knives. The only time I have EVER seen a proper anti-knife crime article in the Daily Mail newspaper, was just ONCE in the last 8 years, in March 2007. I was 'incandescent with rage' on a BT payphone to Daily Mail executives back in March 2007 demanding that they print an article titled "Knives are put away" to reverse the back then ever-increasing knife crime which I said the Daily Mail "Knives come out" headlines were massively contributing to. 2 days later the Daily Mail printed the one-off article "Put the guns and knives down".

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Have you actually had any written correspondence returned by the Daily Mail regarding your concerns?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDailyPlanet

If your "national family newspaper" ran the headline "Now they will stab him in the front", as the Mail did, what does this metaphor conjure up in your mind ? I advocate that that is not just a dodgy headline, but an illegal headline. Week in, week out the Daily Mail and its' group were printing phrases such as "Knives come out" or "Knives are out", and week in week out people were being murdered with knives. The only time I have EVER seen a proper anti-knife crime article in the Daily Mail newspaper, was just ONCE in the last 8 years, in March 2007. I was 'incandescent with rage' on a BT payphone to Daily Mail executives back in March 2007 demanding that they print an article titled "Knives are put away" to reverse the back then ever-increasing knife crime which I said the Daily Mail "Knives come out" headlines were massively contributing to. 2 days later the Daily Mail printed the one-off article "Put the guns and knives down".

Imo this is a lot of disinformation, can you give a link to the 'Now they will stab him in the front' headline.
The DM is a right of centre newspaper, it likes nothing better than to point out the ills of our society.
What about the BBC headline. Maybe it is one huge conspiracy by all media.... as even the exaulted left wing Guardian has recently had the headlines 'The knives are out for British diners'....to get us stabbing each other
Googling I found pages and pages of newspapers quoting the knives are out, in every UK paper, as well as American ones.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzylizzy

You are absolutely right......the phrase "Knives out.......for whom ever" is a very old phrase, to imply that the DM instigated it,and that it is contributing to knife crime on the streets of the UK is delusional in the extreme!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I have been communicating with them since 2001, back then it was by Special Delivery letter, to the Editor, Paul Dacre. Every time I wrote there would be no reply. There were approximately 10 letters sent up until 2006, when finally I received a reply to my Special Delivery letter, from Mr. Robin Esser, the Executive Managing Editor. Since then I have been in touch with them from time to time by email / letter / phone-calls. At a guess I have made well over 80 phone calls to the Daily Mail offices since 2001. Since 2007, I have gradually become more and more acquainted with the senior editorial staff at the Daily Mail.

I've written to and had dealings with:-
Charles Sinclair, former CEO, now retired,
Martin Morgan, CEO,
Robin Esser, Executive Managing Editor,
Charles Garside, Assistant Editor

I've also had dealings with the display advertising department, spending a total of just over £3,000 with the Daily Mail, although this is a very small sum to them.

At one stage, I was assured by the Executive Managing Editor of the Times newspaper, Mr. David Chappell, that Paul Dacre would be telephoning me, but he never did, he got his deputy to instead. He has never sent me a letter, phoned me, or sent me an email - it all got delegated to Mr. Esser and Mr. Garside.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

You may not see it, but hundreds of thousands of kids in Britain are NOT used to seeing "Rape Girl, 13" and understanding straight away that the context is a descriptor for the noun despite dropping the 'd', and not being used as a verb.

Sadly, I'd disagree with that statement.

Perhaps 20 years ago, children in Britain would not be familair with such a head line.

But this is the 21st Century. Attitudes to what-is and what-is-not acceptable in mainstream culture have changed, in my opinion, and printed headlines are no exception. The words and phrases used today would not have been employed 20 years ago.

And headlines like that ARE, sadly, far more commonplace than there were years prior. Children ARE becomming more accustomed to seeing headlines like that. Especially if you're a child growing up in a rough area/community where knife crime is an everday event.

Personally, (coming from a degree in linguistics) I'd wager than a child who can read would see that headline, perhaps be confused as to the context, but NOT assume it to be a command or directive. They'd possibly ask what does "rape" mean. And if you explained it (tricky!), I would bet they'd understand that the use of "rape" next to "girl", followed by the comma and "13, stoned to death" wouldn't imply a command.

And neither would their subconscious be influenced by it to go and commit the act.

Just my opinion - I have no data to back up my assumptions, just my experience in linguistics and SLA.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I have been communicating with them since 2001, back then it was by Special Delivery letter, to the Editor, Paul Dacre. Every time I wrote there would be no reply. There were approximately 10 letters sent up until 2006, when finally I received a reply to my Special Delivery letter, from Mr. Robin Esser, the Executive Managing Editor. Since then I have been in touch with them from time to time by email / letter / phone-calls. At a guess I have made well over 80 phone calls to the Daily Mail offices since 2001. Since 2007, I have gradually become more and more acquainted with the senior editorial staff at the Daily Mail.

I've written to and had dealings with:-
Charles Sinclair, former CEO, now retired,
Martin Morgan, CEO,
Robin Esser, Executive Managing Editor,
Charles Garside, Assistant Editor

I've also had dealings with the display advertising department, spending a total of just over £3,000 with the Daily Mail, although this is a very small sum to them.

At one stage, I was assured by the Executive Managing Editor of the Times newspaper, Mr. David Chappell, that Paul Dacre would be telephoning me, but he never did, he got his deputy to instead. He has never sent me a letter, phoned me, or sent me an email - it all got delegated to Mr. Esser and Mr. Garside.

I rest my case.....you have had no communication from the DM that you can provide here, that even remotely acknowledges any of your absurd claims.

Post a copy of any correspondence from the DM that acknowledges your claims, and states that they have "ceased and desisted" at your request!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Imo this is a lot of disinformation, can you give a link to the 'Now they will stab him in the front' headline.
The DM is a right of centre newspaper, it likes nothing better than to point out the ills of our society.
What about the BBC headline. Maybe it is one huge conspiracy by all media.... as even the exaulted left wing Guardian has recently had the headlines 'The knives are out for British diners'....to get us stabbing each other
Googling I found pages and pages of newspapers quoting the knives are out, in every UK paper, as well as American ones.

I have highlighted a significant point. The link to the article "Now they will stab him in the front" - the article was there 5 days ago, now it's gone. Presumably the newspaper is trying to cover it's ass. It was printed on page 3 of the Mail on Sunday on January 8th 2006 at the top of the page as the headline.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   

You presume far too much mate.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
You have to remember also, if this headline was from 2001, Gordon Brown was the Chancellor of the exchequer, not Prime Minister, that was still Tony Blair, and there where no calls back then for him to stand down as Prime Minister.

That only came after the War started, and he wasn't forced out, he decided to retire as Prime Minister, what pissed everyone off was, there was no leadership battle as is normal in the UK, it became a straight swap of office for Brown, and Tony Blair went on to a mediation role.

So the original story could only have been referring to something he had done with the economy.

Young kids reading the political pages, well kind of takes away the deliberately directed at point of view IMO, how many Hoodies sit and read about what goes on at the then Number 11 resident?

I am a firm believer that everything we see is deigned in some way to use our own minds for their benefit, but I also believe the clampdown on Knife crime was responsible for it's reduction, and they did go at it with everything they had, all over the country.

I even got questioned for having an Athame in the boot of my car at a traffic stop, my explanation was accepted and I continued on my way in 10 mins.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join