It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe over 1,000 people were murdered due to the actions of a UK national newspaper

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:17 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Apparently we don't read, we catch a glance out the corner of our eyes then start foaming at the mouth while grasping for the nearest spork.

The Daily Mail is the New Head Of Medusa.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Someone mentioned movies, music etc and why that wouldn't have the same effect. My take on that is that newspapers print the NEWS and the news is perceived by the sheep as FACTUAL not fantasy.

I find this very interesting and wonder if there are other trigger words printed in newspapers that are being used to manipulate us subconsciously for predetermined outcomes?

I know this can work in advertising and other mediums but I'm sure that if this is being done, they already know our subliminal subconscious perception that news = real and could play on it to repetitively to get the result they want.
It wouldn't be hard to imagine that it could be possibly going on.
Nor would I be terribly surprised if it was.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit

"Spice Girls are AXED from Live 8"

When the Daily Mail published "Swords are out", someone was murdered with a sword a few days later.

When you do a google search for "Samurai swords Killed UK" you get a lot of hits. Not a rare event same applies for axe deaths.

When the Mail printed on the front cover "Who will give Tony Blair a bloody nose?" there were fights all over Britain.

Really how many fist fights happen everyday at a guess tens of thousands

When the Mail printed "Rape girl, 13, stoned to death" a 14 year old girl was raped by a group of feral youths stoned on marijuana.

In a population of 61 million you probably get a lot of rapes every day. why wasn't she stoned to death?

Greenfruit, murder by sword IS a rare event in the UK, a very rare event, as far as I can ascertain less than 1 such murder per year. Generally speaking, if there is a murder, it will be reported. The "Swords are out" headline was printed (pretend allegorical swords), and the murder was published a few days later, in the Mail, an exceptional story that is not seen all year round.

Similarly the murder of Anthony Walker - murder by axe is NOT a common occurence AT ALL. Anthony Walker was murdered on the same day as the "AXED" headline with the word printed in Red ambiguating it's otherwise metaphorical presentation, and I'm sure a language expert would vouch for this fact. I am 100% CERTAIN that this was a psychotic catalytic trigger to the axe murder - no, axe murders do not happen in Britain, this was a one off triggered by the Daily Mirror.

When the Mail printed How will give Tony Blair a bloody nose? the usual level of fighting in the country was significantly increased.

The rape of the 14 year old? Rapes of youths this age DO NOT happen as a daily occurence, and the subsequent rape of someone this age was (unusually) reported in the Daily Mail a few days later.

You see I wonder if the Editor gets a "kick" out of setting up violent events, and then getting to report them to his readers, whilst at the same time somehow bamboozling them or obfuscating them into ignorance that the powerful evocative language used was the catalyst for the reported crime, because a tiny percentage of the 4.8million+ readers (and that's excluding millions more on the internet version) got the idea and did not accept - in the case of the knives - that they were only pretend; this being a "national family newspaper" which is about real life.

And several of you are mentioning that the reach of the Daily Mail is small, that it doesn't permeate much of the cross sections of the country, or reach the social groups who are commiting these crimes.

It's not true! The Daily Mail themselves would boast to you about their very substantial readership. The Mail is the 2nd most read newspaper in Britain (printed form), and the 1st most read newspaper by combining web traffic to www.mailonline.co.uk.

The latest figures for reach of the Daily Mail, show a printed paper circulation of just over 2 million, with a daily readership of 5 million, PLUS, a unique monthly visitors total of 29 MILLION per month on their website.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by TheDailyPlanet]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
If it's Daily Mail readers stabbing other Daily Mail readers, then
I don't really see a problem.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

You British. I swear. For such a noble People, you are all so ready to get rid of your personal weapons!

I have an idea, get rid of the REAL problem-the non-europeans that have caused the havoc! Keep your weapons!

Remember when your country drove the romans off..... after they reclaimed their weapons?

Remember when your Bobbies didnt have to carry anything but a stick?

Remember when you could go into most any area and not have to worry about getting jumped because you were Christian and white?

Enoch Powell is spinning in his grave like a lathe. Its bad enough over here with our idiots in power but we are STILL armed. I would like to visit The British Isle but I want to see and meet Brits and Scots....not north africans and everything else.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This is nuts I'm afraid.

If someone is going to be driven to use a knife as a result of reading knife metaphors in the media then once these are removed they'll find some other violent trigger in other media and other metaphors. What about sport headlines like "Arsenal come out 'all guns blazing'" or from the TV show 'location location location' which I remember talking about 'bringing in the big guns' which simply meant it was hiring some professionals.

Your argument is not against the use of knives in metaphors and cacophemisms but against the use of metaphors containing any violent implement or imagery and that is censorship of language.

What if I talk about how this thread has the potential to explode with opinion.....am I inciting the use of bombs? If the Daily Mail is so uncreative, short sighted and dumbed down that it's going to wheel out the same old knife metaphor time and time again then its just a reflection on what a crock of sh*t newspaper it is.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by titan69

The only relevant argument I've against the Op's research is that hoodies or chavs don't read the Daily Mail... they don't need to thats why its plastered over the frontpage

All it needs is to be seen in any shop anywhere in the country at a couple of second glance, even sandwich boards outside shops advertising the papers would carry the headline so just because the Mail traditionally has an older audience doesn't mean you have to buy the paper to soak in the subliminal crap.

Sorry if this has already been pointed out, got to the 2nd page and it was already so glaringly obvious I had to point it out.

S&F Op

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch

I hate to sound condescending but have you considered that your theory may be wrong and you may be devoting too much of your time to this theory? I say this because you do not seem to respond to posts criticising and pointing out flaws in your theory. You just continue on and on and on with your original point, like a bulldozer, ignoring all contrary evidence.

Was thinking the same while reading through this thread....

I am still waiting for ANY response to my reasonable questions on page4. Guess TheDailyPlanet will only respond to questions that reinforce his view/opinion. And will respond with "I am not responding to some posts because they contain some ridiculous questions, I'm afraid that's what I think and have seen."...good one

IMO its kind of sad that the OP seems to be as biased towards his own opinion as the Newspaper he is claiming to be responsible for violent attacks.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   

You see I wonder if the Editor gets a "kick" out of setting up violent events, and then getting to report them to his readers

While I agree with you on a lot of points DP I think you may just have some things crossed over here, everyone knows how people are controlled en masse by the stuff we read and hear, but on this part I tend to lean towards using the subliminal messaging to spark these violent incidents in the first place, thus giving them infinite material for their pages.

The news is nearly always doom and gloom, and people are used to that by now.

What grabs your attention more??

Man beaten to death by teenage yobs

or

Local grandmother wins church raffle

[edit on 17-9-2009 by ItsallCrazy]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDailyPlanet

Would that be classed as some form of subliminal neurolinguistic programming, basically programming into the subconscious a statement whic bypasses the normal conscious everyday filtering?

Exactly like the effect the fashion magazines have had on some fragile (or not so fragile) women and all the neuroses that have sprung from the 'image' of how a woman should look nowadays, like a walking skeleton. That industry has created recognised mental disorders such as bulimia and anorexia. So I can well believe that statements which are printed in LARGE BOLD TYPE, then would certainly be absorbed by the conscious mind and be retained by the subconscious mind and could well be the catalyst that sets off the trigger for the detrimental action in a fragile mind.

Excellent campaign by you of ensuring the Media management were made aware of what they were doing (just on the off chance they weren't aware of what they were doing, by that I mean inciting violence in their headlines). I believe MSM means Main Stream Media, but I'm not 100% sure.

Its very similar to all the disgusting pictures on the outside of cigarette packets that are here in New Zealand and in Australia, thats also programming those images into people's conscious and subconscious minds so to enable the images to be manifested by the susceptible members of society and so keep the medical industry rubbing their hands together all the way to the bank.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Briliant thread! Anyone who doesnt believe that the news uses tactics to promote crime should watch this video, skip to 5.50
www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm amazed at the naivety of some of those arguing against the OP and the connection he proposes. Don't you understand the impact of symbols, words and language and the influence they exert? You might want to do some research into Neuro Linguistic Programing.

People don't need to be 'readers' of the Daily Mail, or even consciously aware of it, for it to have a significant influence which, in some cases, will tip the balance and lead to criminal acts.

As an example of the power of words and symbols try looking at the following before dismissing the idea that being bombarded by newspaper headlines from rows of newspapers in shops etc could have a cumulative subliminal effect and so have a direct effect on crime rates:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 17-9-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Can we say "paranoid delusions?" You sound like the guy from Conspiracy Theory. You've convinced yourself that not only is the Daily Mail inciting violence, but that they are doing it specifically because of you and the letters you wrote to them. Here's something to chew on: Every time you wrote them letters asking them to stop, they would print more articles. Despite having full knowledge of this fact, you continued to send letters.

Simple observation of cause and effect should have told you that your own letters were provoking the Daily Mail to incite this knife violence. Maybe some blood is on your hands, too?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDailyPlanet
"Rape girl, 13, stoned to death". (I argued to the Managing Editor's office that for the sake of one letter - d - they could have made this a non-problematic headline, that the mentally ill or potential criminal with a warped nature could take this as a catalyst to rape a girl. Just a few days later, the report was given in the Daily Mail about a 14 year old who had been gangraped by a group of feral youths).

You are joking, right??

You're not implying that when you read that 'title', a person could somehow confuse a piece of text describing the upcoming context of an article with a 'directive' ?

What you're failing to account for it the social context in which this is happening.

We live in a society where newspapers and articles are commonplace. And they all follow a certain format which we all understand and expect; a news article has a title, which describes the piece, and a body - the article which is the story being reported.

Article titles have to conserve on space and therefore adopt a very short form format of getting the critical information across, often shortening the entire sentence to one or two words. Granted, the language used is often 'eye catching' - but that's the point - it's meant to be like that you you'll read the article. And while it's short, it's still "english" and syntactically correct.

And anyone living in our society *knows* this.

If someone who is mentally ill or deficient doesn't understand that very basic and *widely* adopted genre of news reporting, then it isn't the problem of the publisher - it's with the individual.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by noonebutme]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by TheDailyPlanet

I'm certainly no supporter of the scare mongering Daily Mail, but if we start ruling out metaphors because of possible violent effects, then where do you draw the line - who decides which metaphors are ok.

I sympathies with your thread, and believe that the Mail possibly does incite hate, not only with metaphor. But i can't advocate censorship, which is what this is at the end of the day.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
You are joking, right??

You're not implying that when you read that 'title', a person could somehow confuse a piece of text describing the upcoming context of an article with a 'directive' ?

Do you have any understanding of how the subconscious mind works? You really need to do some research. It's fairly common knowledge that the subconscious mind receives such statements as 'a directive', which is why subliminal, coded, suggestion can work so well. This is rather like the statement "don't think of a black cat". The conscious mind is, of course, not confused about the directive given, and yet the subconscious mind reacts immediately by thinking of a black cat.

The point is, when these 'seeds' of suggestion are planted in suitable minds, they bear 'fruit', whether the person in question is consciously aware of it or not.

[edit on 17-9-2009 by Malcram]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

I was sorry this post was removed - it was just a stupid, funny post!

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lurch
TheDailyPlanet - what motivates you to persue this matter so obsessively? Have you had personal experience with perhaps a friend or family member being stabbed? How did you come to notice these so-called trends in the first place?

I hate to sound condescending but have you considered that your theory may be wrong and you may be devoting too much of your time to this theory? I say this because you do not seem to respond to posts criticising and pointing out flaws in your theory. You just continue on and on and on with your original point, like a bulldozer, ignoring all contrary evidence.

I don't want to appear flippant but have you considered perhaps speaking to a pyschologist regarding your obsession with this theory and the patterns you have noticed? Just an idea.

The motivation to pursue this cause started on July 2nd 2001. I happened to have visited North Lambeth, London on this day. I saw the front page headline of the Daily Mail, thunderously declaring that "Knives Are Out for Gordon Brown". There was already a knife crime problem, and I knew that this headline would make things worse, because it brought knives to the forefront of the readers' imagination, and there was nothing to indicate that the knives were allegorical, and therefore "pretend". Furthermore, I'd advocate there was a lot of marijuana being smoked on this day in London - as it was the day of the "softly softly" trial being launched. Only 4 weeks ago, now in 2009, the Daily Mail themselves published an article about "double meaning problems" that can afflict users of cannabis.

I do not think that my theory is wrong because on every single occasion that the Daily Mail printed headline phrases "Knives are out" or "Knives come out" there was guaranteed to be a subsequently reported murder a few days later. However, when the Daily Mail were sent a "cease and desist" letter, indicating legal action running into settlements of millions of pounds if they did not comply, and ceased printing such headlines - as well as other newspaper editors, the rate of knife crime homicide plummeted.

I have spoken to psychologists about this issue, and there is a recognised condition for some people with schizophrenia or bipolar affective disorder conditions, whereby headlines can act as "messages" pertaining to how the reader decides to behave and conduct themselves. People have given written testimony about how the Daily Mail's headlines such as "Now they will stab him in the front" led them into trance-like states to commit knife crime, and upon seeing these headlines they resultantly felt that knife crime was part of ordinary life, and was OK to do.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join