It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I believe over 1,000 people were murdered due to the actions of a UK national newspaper

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by phoenix103
Wouldn't it have made more sense for the title to read 'Raped girl' instead of 'Rape girl'?

A rapist reads the title 'Rape girl' He's going to rape a girl, guaranteed.

This matter seems to me a sick experiment in society by the Powers That Be for their research on human behaviour, and it MUST STOP!

Not only is the Title 'Rape girl' a provocation, it's an proofreading error which means the Daily Mail is a newspaper made by idiots.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by star in a jar]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Sorry but thats so not true! I think you are looking too deep into this!

One good reason. The people who are carrying out the knife crime would most definately NOT be reading the daily mail lol

The majority of knife crime is carried out by teenagers and young adults. Now I do not know one person under 40 who reads the daily mail.

Also the 'hoodies and chavs' as the media portrays them are hardly going to be reading the daily mail of all papers which is the biggest hater on the underclass, let alone be influenced by it.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Oh come on - do you seriously think it is acceptable to print the headline about the raped girl verbatim as they did? "Rape girl, 13, stoned to death"?

The full information has been submitted to 'The Plain English Campaign', earlier this afternoon. They are going to spend the next few days on it, and are going to contact me next Monday.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by titan69

They don't have to read the newspaper, all they have to do is look at the front page which is displayed on store shelves or the newspaper coin box and see the GD titles 'Knife' and 'Rape' screaming at them in big bold letters!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

No, the whole thing is laughable regardless of the words or the story.

For starters a newspaper reports events AFTER the fact therefore these things happened without influence.

Secondly, teenagers DO NOT read the Daily Mail.

Third, the wording of a headline has NO BEARING on whether someone will go out and stab another.

I have my doubts about the state of mind of anyone who believes this claptrap.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDailyPlanet
Oh come on - do you seriously think it is acceptable to print the headline about the raped girl verbatim as they did? "Rape girl, 13, stoned to death"?

The full information has been submitted to 'The Plain English Campaign', earlier this afternoon. They are going to spend the next few days on it, and are going to contact me next Monday.

That isn't the case you have been making.

We could all argue about the grammar used in newspapers but that has nothing to do with influencing and inciting a criminal offence!

And yes, it IS acceptable as this is a free country with freedom of speech and expression as the cornerstone of democracy.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Star in a jar, I think you're absolutely right, although I should clarify that the "Rape girl" headline was within the newspaper inner pages.

The Daily Mail has only ever once put the "Knives are out" metaphor on the front cover, and that was on July 2nd 2001. I had NEVER ever seen the metaphor used, or heard of it, prior to then, and subsequent to that date, I believe it has been used obsessively, right up until my cease and desist letter sent to the Chief Executive on June 22nd.

The Daily Telegraph put a 'knife cacophemism' headline on it's front cover recently:- "Plot to knife Brown ends in failure".

Furthermore, the Sun printed "MPs queue up to knife Brown", on their page 2, and a man was stabbed to death in Oxford Street, London that afternoon, for which I believe the headline was the catalyst.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix103

For starters a newspaper reports events AFTER the fact therefore these things happened without influence.

So what, a new crime is triggered after the use of these words, which continues the vicious cycle.

Secondly, teenagers DO NOT read the Daily Mail.

They DO NOT need to read the Daily Mail all they have to do is GLANCE at it. It's on the front page!

Third, the wording of a headline has NO BEARING on whether someone will go out and stab another.

Perhaps you've heard of MKULTRA? That point aside, these people are not like you and I. We can see violent words and differentiate between right and wrong but some people have problems with that concept.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDailyPlanet
Star in a jar, I think you're absolutely right, although I should clarify that the "Rape girl" headline was within the newspaper inner pages.

Of course you do, they seem to buy your premise. It makes you feel validated where everyone else is rightly dimissing what you are saying.

At least you point that out which means other than the white middle class, middle age readership, nobody knew about it until now.

Do you ever watch Dragons Den? Sometimes they advise people to ditch a product/business concept as they've already invested too much of their lives into it and that they would be better off dropping it.

May i respectfully suggest you do exactly that in terms of this theory?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Oddly, I think this is the most likely scenario.

IF the OP is correct in saying that knife crime drastically declined after they ceased to use these cacophemisms then it would make sense that they purposefully did it to "trigger" people as you say.

I can see no other reason as to why using these cacophemisms would be so effective otherwise. It's got to be a subconscious trigger in individuals who have some sort of predisposition to fall prey to the triggers. Because ordinary people, like me
, aren't going to just go out and knife somebody just because they saw the words "the knives are out" in news headline.

Either that or there are some twisted individuals out there.

edit because I chewed up the word "cacophemisms"
[edit on 16-9-2009 by nunya13]

[edit on 16-9-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

So what, a new crime is triggered after the use of these words, which continues the vicious cycle.

They DO NOT need to read the Daily Mail all they have to do is GLANCE at it. It's on the front page!

Perhaps you've heard of MKULTRA? That point aside, these people are not like you and I. We can see violent words and differentiate between right and wrong but some people have problems with that concept.

Deary me. You do actually believe this, don't you?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDailyPlanet

So, the Daily Mail using the words "stab" and "knife" are causing people to kill each other?

Do you also blame violent video games, TV shows, movies, and music for killings?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   

A lot of people on ATS do.

I'm surprised that your surprised.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Ah, I see, most of these trigger words were written in the inner pages... but for people to say that thugs or people with fragile emotional issues don't read the newspapers... I don't know about that.

Drop a newspaper and it scatters on the street or leave the newspaper open at a certain page on the streets or on a bus seat... These words are going to be seen, and all it takes is one psycho seeing these trigger words.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
At about 8pm a couple of nights ago, I was notified that "livemint.com" which appears to have some association with the Wall Street Journal, had published online an article titled "Knives out". The article was about a Swiss knife making company.

Therefore I sent them the following email later that night:-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Formal Cease and desist request by email 14th September 2009

===============================================

Dear Sirs,

Please cease and desist from usage of knife metaphor cacophemisms in the interests of prevention of knife crime violence.

In the UK, the newspaper group DMGT plc. is now subject to possible, pending corporate incitement to murder legal action due to their continual usage of knife metaphor cacophemisms such as "Knives are out" between July 2001 and July 2009.

Youngsters do not always understand that these are metaphorical knives. A significant percentage of interviewed youngsters (in the UK research undertaken) understand "Knives out" to mean "Get the knives out".

I request you adjust your headline title in the light of this information.

We are not suggesting legal action on your newspaper company, and wish you the very best for the future, however we would take action if knife metaphor cacophemisms were further used.

We understand you were probably unaware of the research undertaken, and are not suggesting that you have deliberately incited that "knives be got out". However, you are now in receipt of new knowledge.

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.

Yours sincerely,

Peter Dew,

Peter Dew Media, UK

UK Freephone / Mobile etc.

The article WAS here:-
www.livemint.com...

The email was sent to the newsroom at about 8.30pm, marked
"Immediate action requested / Cease and desist + Immediate edit request"

The good news is that, as at 6.20am GMT UK time yesterday morning (10.50am in India), Livemint.com - which is based in India, have withdrawn the original headline, and the story has been replaced with a new headline:-

www.livemint.com...

I put on the Stop Knife Crime... NOW facebook discussion thread:- "The previous link has been removed by the newspaper company following our request. This does not address whether they have gone to print with the paper version, but at least they co-operated with our request, which includes a request that knife metaphor cacophemisms are not used by the newspaper group (HT Media) again in the future."

[edit on 16-9-2009 by TheDailyPlanet]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
You know what, people are so ignorant sometimes, you'd actually think that no-one had ever been stabbed before 2001!

I was a teenager during the nineties, knife crime was just as bad then, except that the media didn't report on it as much.

Okay, I do agree that the MSM sensasionalise it, but that is more to do with making your average Joe too scared to leave his house for fear of getting stabbed up, rather than encouraging the violence.

I know a lot about street culture, from actually living it myself in an inner city area. The 'hoodys' are not influenced by newspaper headlines, they couldn't give a s*** about politics or the daily mail!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

A lot of people on ATS do.

I'm surprised that your surprised.

You're in Idaho and yet you think you know enough to comment on a British newspaper which is essentially the heart of this story.

Of all the papers in this country, behind the FT this is the least likely to be read by the teenagers who've been stabbing each other over the last few years.

There are underlying social and economic reasons for this which are rooted in the decline of industry, aspiration and ambition coupled with the rise of the "i want/i know my rights" culture.

This story is unmitigated rubbish. I'm trying to be respectful of the OP but it is so difficult when such nonsense is represented as truth.

Seems here people who don't know what they're talking about are considering this a quasi scientific basis for their existing beliefs and bias.

No, no, no! Its nonsense. Plain and simple!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Ah, I see, most of these trigger words were written in the inner pages... but for people to say that thugs or people with fragile emotional issues don't read the newspapers... I don't know about that.

Drop a newspaper and it scatters on the street or leave the newspaper open at a certain page on the streets or on a bus seat... These words are going to be seen, and all it takes is one psycho seeing these trigger words.

Keep going, you've nearly reached one of the straws you're clutching it. Just that bit further.. go on.. you can do it!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Do you ever watch Dragons Den? Sometimes they advise people to ditch a product/business concept as they've already invested too much of their lives into it and that they would be better off dropping it.

Yeah maybe that's what 'they' would like us believers to do!

But say, 'Rape Girl' instead of 'Raped girl' and I definitely believe that someone, somewhere, will be more inclined to rape a girl.

Same goes with 'Knives are out' It can mean Knives are no more, or it can mean everyone has their knives out for a fight.

Seriously, newspapers have to use proper and appropriate wording.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I agree with those saying these people would not be reading the Daily Mail...or noticing it in newsagents. Now if it was the Sun, you might have a point.
Also, I would even wonder if half these people can read. And if the people who knife others are so psycopathic they are 'triggered' by words, why are they not leaping from their sofas and knifing anyone who moves from watching TV and films...or even video games? Surely imagery would be even more potent.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join