It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defund ACORN Act :: HR3571 :: Who says one (or 2) people can't make a difference?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Defund ACORN Act :: HR3571

To prohibit the Federal Government from awarding contracts, grants, or other agreements to, providing any other Federal funds to, or engaging in activities that promote certain indicted organizations.

Link a Roni

Boehner: The 'Defund ACORN Act' will be introduced today
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
09/15/09 12:11 PM EDT

House Republican leader has just sent a letter to his fellow lawmakers asking them to become co-sponsors of the "Defund ACORN Act," which Republicans plan to introduce in the House today. In the letter, Boehner, citing undercover video reports of ACORN workers encouraging illegal activity, says, "It is evident that ACORN is incapable of using federal funds in a manner that is consistent with the law." Boehner says "immediate action" should be taken to cut off federal funds to the organization. "Simply put, ACORN should not receive another penny of American taxpayers’ money," the letter says.

Here is the entire text of Boehner's "Dear Colleague" letter:

In the wake of new reports of potentially criminal activity involving associates of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), it is time for Congress to take action and terminate all federal funding to ACORN and its affiliates. That is why I will introduce the Defund ACORN Act and encourage you to become a cosponsor.

It is evident that ACORN is incapable of using federal funds in a manner that is consistent with the law. Immediate action is necessary to ensure that no additional tax dollars are directed to ACORN. Simply put, ACORN should not receive another penny of American taxpayers’ money.

Defund ACORN Act :: HR3571 :: Co-Sponsors

These are all Republicans so far... This is all happening rather rapidly ... "Overwhelm the system" ... From the Repub side this time!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4756312d5863.jpg[/atsimg]

Hold on here we go.....

[edit on 9·16·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

Give James O'Keefe and Hannah Giles the Pulitzer Prize.
They have earned it! The gang of 7 that voted against
going after Acorn in the Senate should be attacked by Fox News
everyday.
Their attitude is clear.
Yes, Acorn is corrupt but be just don't care!
Give them taxpayer money anyway.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Hopefully this will go for the hundreds of "affiliates" of ACORN. I would like to see the 7 that voted in favor of ACORN set up in front of Congress one by one and be made to give a reason why they would do such a thing. And then I would want their states polled to see what they think about their senator's vote. But that's just me. Have any of them said anything?

Honestly, I wasn't too suprised when I saw Roland Burris on the list of those in favor of ACORN.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Also, found this last night but didn't have time to upload it...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/42da52632d99.jpg[/atsimg]

I cleared some white-space to narrow the doc so it fits the screen ...

There are also 10 pages of signatures from other members of the house that give this letter a little more weight.

The Letter & Signatures

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I received some interesting knowledge today that allows me to separate fact from a Glenn Beck diatribe. In this case with this particular organization he seems to be correct. ACORN is corrupt, dysfunctional and a political tool. They absolutely need to defunded and thoroughly investigated.

The main problem I see is Glenn Beck painting all organizations with similar missions with the same broad brush. Do not listen to him trying to guilt them by association. There are many he'll bring up that do quality work without millions in govenment funding. Many that have worked with ACORN hate them just as much or more than anyone here getting their info from FOX.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
I received some interesting knowledge today that allows me to separate fact from a Glenn Beck diatribe. In this case with this particular organization he seems to be correct. ACORN is corrupt, dysfunctional and a political tool. They absolutely need to defunded and thoroughly investigated.

The main problem I see is Glenn Beck painting all organizations with similar missions with the same broad brush. Do not listen to him trying to guilt them by association. There are many he'll bring up that do quality work without millions in govenment funding. Many that have worked with ACORN hate them just as much or more than anyone here getting their info from FOX.

I agree, Who else is bringing this news to the fore front?

*I think* we can agree that the discerning viewer will use good common sense in gauging the validity of Beck stories. There is deep reaching corruption in Washington...

Since they are the leaders ... Well, Let me put it like this ... Most people follow, whether they like it or not, there are very few leaders. There are even fewer leaders that have high ethics.

We are all human and susceptible to corruption. When our leaders at the highest level exhibit (or at the very least ignore) corruption they are condoning it and the flock follows, EVEN if they are unaware of doing so...

ACORN is a great example, their leader Rathke(s), have shown through action by embezzling great sums of money (only caught them once so far) and were never charged. That sends a huge message to those working for them.

What we're seeing isn't Beck leading any charge forward but perhaps pushing those in power, through his wide audiences, to push their Reps. to be accountable for their actions.

It's working. The Reps. realize, through this last march on Washington, the town halls, that their days are numbered if they don't get their hands out of the cookie jar and start leading by example.

We're seeing that happening, this week especially!

It needs to keep going at break neck speed. Who knows where this will all lead... It must keep going at all costs.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

A part of their problem is that they tend to hire people without evaluation, people inclined to criminal activity such as ex cons to do footwork. Other better managed organizations tend to hire people after a regular interview process.

They get and/or justify their funding by inflating their registration counts to look as though they are doing something impressive. It doesn't matter the data they "collect" (read: just make up themselves in many cases) doesn't jive with the national database very well.

All I'm saying is be wary when G.B. attempts to suck every group into the same black hole by creating general distrust. I asked about it all so I could get an accurate view of the landscape without MSM hype attached.

Of course, in all fairness, there is a possibility, however remote that it really is a territorial dispute and other groups want the big fish out of the way.

[edit on 9/16/2009 by EnlightenUp]

[edit on 9/16/2009 by EnlightenUp]

new topics

top topics

join