It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sheriff's Department Responds To Sonic Device Outrage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The San Diego County Sheriff's Department Tuesday responded to 10News' report about a new sonic weapon known as a Long Range Acoustic Device, or LRAD.

The technology has been used in Iraq to control insurgents, and now it is in the sheriff's department's possession.

With some people concerned over whether the LRAD would be dangerous and if it would be used the way it is in war zones, 10News contacted the sheriff's department for their take.

The device was originally made to be used for war, and it emits high-pitched sounds as a form crowd control.

On Monday, members of the American Civil Liberties Union spoke with 10News, and they expressed outrage that local law enforcement had the device and that they had brought it to recent town hall meetings in case things got out of hand.

Kevin Keenan, of the ACLU, said, "We think that local law enforcement shouldn't be using military style weaponry like that."

On Tuesday, Ed Musgrove of the sheriff's department told 10News the device was only being used for good, like helping search-and-rescue teams and warning residents during fires or floods.

"So, it will never be used in San Diego as a weapon?" asked 10News' Ariana Duarte.

"No, not by the Sheriff's Department, no," said Musgrove.

"And that's a guarantee?"

"Yes."

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore was recently quoted saying the LRAD was purchased for events "should there be any problems." He also added, "We could use the LRAD in place of pepper spray."

Duarte asked the sheriff's department about the comment and they said it was probably a poor choice of words and insisted that the device was only here to help.

"If the issue was getting the message out to people that need to hear it, then this is the device to do it," said Musgrove.

"So, is it used to startle them?" asked Duarte.

"No."

"Then how is it comparable to pepper spray?"

"I don't know that I would make that comparison."

The LRAD cost the sheriff's department $27,000, and it was paid for with money from a 2007 Homeland Security grant.

www.10news.com...

Folks, I think you need to be worried.

San Diego County Sheriff Bill Gore was recently quoted saying the LRAD was purchased for events "should there be any problems." He also added, "We could use the LRAD in place of pepper spray."

But in the interview with 10news he says its not going to be used. What BS. Why spend $27k for something if it's going to just sit and rust away?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I think the people of San San Diego should sue the sheriff department for misused of public funds in a time of economic crisis in the State of California.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
WarrenB, if you don't mind i'd like to post your thread link in my thread in alternative

thanks

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

feel free to do as you like

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Psy Op weaponry in the hands of the good old boys at the local sheriffs department, to be used for crowd control?..... I would be careful about leaving my house and stay away from places like parks and shopping mall parking lots if the local yokel bubbas around here had access to such a device.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

But that is call intimidation, see you are pro exactly what the city government wants, to intimidate the population letting them know that they have a weapon that while they promise not to use nerveless they have it and can cause harm.

Is nothing but intimidation.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Guareanteed that this will be misused and abuse exactly as the taser wa/is and has become. Some moron will blast the LRAD until somebody's brains turn to mush and ooze out of their ear drums.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Revealation

Then if that happens to any civilian because of the used of suc a weapon it will fall into the The Eighth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and the federal government will have to step in, as cruel and unusual punishment is part of the Eight Amendment.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Tasers are being used as torture devices and have caused many deaths..... I have had to tone it down a lot due to my age and health but because of my size and appearance I am very wary of law enforcement types.....I have always been respectful of people that wear badges and guns but the older I get the more people I meet in that line of work that make me down right uncomfortable..... There are very extreme exceptions when I have encountered police officers that adhere to the old school motto of "to serve and protect" but they are getting rare.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
His guarantee that it wont be used as a weapon is disingenuous.

It will be used as a tool.

What difference that will make to those subjected to it - I cannot say.

It was developed and bought as a 'weapon system'. That should be description enough to see exactly what tactical role it plays in 'crowd control'.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I am seeing a trend in police cars and uniforms that are more than tactical in appearance and remind me of something right out of Hitler's SS..... Here in Texas where summers are so very hot, police officers are driving black cars and wearing black uniforms..... The use of deadly force is crazy and the types of weapons that are in arsenals of even small police forces rivals what a Marine Corps unit of the same size carried in Vietnam with the exception of mortars and fragmentation grenades..... It isn't enough that they can make fun of a person that pisses his or her pants when tased now they will be able to laugh at you while you are bleeding from your ears after rattling your brain in what appears to have the same temporary effect of a lobotomy.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Ridiculous, ..... We put the most Technologicaly advanced weapons in the most mentally unadvanced citizens.

Then again, ... maybe the more non lethal weapons they have the better, .... better this than getting shot. Even though their more apt to use non lethal weapons for no reason.

Filthy swine. They should be forced to take a psychological exam at least once a year. Maybe even hypnosis since we all know they have a good habit of lying.

The only people who are drawn to this kind of work are either power hungry, have low self esteem, a skewed sense of justice, or were picked on in child hood. .... Then again there are the cops who just do it for the money.

Police are the street gangs of the future.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:07 AM
link   
If a county sheriff's department has access to weapons like this I hate to think of what is in the hands of the federal fuzz and private "contractors" that are sure to eventually be deployed here when it is profitable for them to do such.... With so many people in favor of corporatism they seem to have have seen the light and it is sure to turn green for them when the price is right.

new topics

top topics

join