posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:39 AM
2 Cups Self Raising Flour
½ Teaspoon Salt
1 - 1½ Cups Milk
2 Teaspoons Sugar
2 Teaspoons Butter
extra flour as needed
1. Mix the flour, salt and sugar together into a bowl.
2. Cut in the butter until fine crumbs form.
3. Add milk slowly and mix to form a soft dough.
4. Knead lightly on a floured board until smooth.
5. Shape into a round loaf, brush with milk and cut a cross in the
top surface of the dough.
( for oven cooking )
Grease and dust with flour a round cake tin. You can substitute a
flat baking pan, but the round tin gives a better shape to the loaf.
Place dough in the pan and bake at 190° C (375° F) for 30 - 40
( for campfire cooking )
Grease the camp oven (Dutch oven) and dust with flour
Add bread dough and cover.
Place in your campfire, cover with hot ashes and coals and bake for
about 30 minutes. Remember to make sure the oven stays covered with hot coals, important if you are using soft wood which burns quickly
Have made this many times, both at home and whilst camping. It is great with a little butter and honey.
You can also make this a savory type bread by adding sultanas or dried fruit, again, very yummy