It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chile Con Queso

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Ingredients:
1/2 onion diced (about 1/2 cup)
4 cloves of garlic minced
3 Serrano peppers diced
3 jalapeno peppers diced
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of flour
1 cup of milk
6 cups of shredded cheese, can use any combination of Longhorn cheddar and Monterrey Jack
1/2 cup of cilantro, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, peeled and diced (about 1 cup, can use canned if tomatoes aren’t in season)
1/2 cup of sour cream
Salt to taste

Method:
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium-low heat, and then cook the onions and peppers for about five minutes or until onions are translucent.
2. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
3. Whisk the flour into the butter, vegetable mix and cook for about 30 seconds.
4. Add the milk to the pot, and cook on medium, whisking constantly until sauce is thick, about five minutes. Stir in the cilantro and tomatoes.
5. Turn heat down to low, and a 1/4-cup at a time, slowly add the shredded cheese stirring into the white sauce until completely melted. Repeat.
6. Stir in the sour cream.
7. Add salt to taste.
Notes: You can vary which chiles you use to control how hot you want the queso to be. Also, if the sauce is too thick, feel free to add a bit more milk a tablespoon at a time. The key, however, to a smooth sauce is adding the cheese very slowly and not adding any more cheese until the previous addition is completely integrated into the sauce.

I make this regularly, great for large parties

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by LenGXV6

Nice one.

My other half uses Velveeta (!!) I know, sounds awful, but it's actually good, and stays soft.

If I were to make it, of course I prefer real cheese...

Also, we use a mini cuisinart for chopping the peppers/onions etc....

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Never tried Velveeta, Have yet to find Longhorn Cheddar or Monterrey Jack in Australia, well Perth anyway.

At coles, they sell a cheese pack that has Mozzarella, Parmesan and cheddar, all shredded and mixed together, makes a very nice favored dip, just yellow in color instead of the orange.

I take it a cuisinart is a type of all in one chopping tools?
If so, I use something similar

new topics

join