It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bras and preparedness?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
You know that in the change rooms there is a large breasted woman trying on bras for sports or physical exertion because you can see their feet jumping up and down.

The high end sports bras are quite a different thing now than they used to be. But you have to find a specialty store that carries them, particularly in the larger sizes. It'll be a sports store that caters to women probably.

I'm a 36 DDD, though I can also fit a DD because I'm petit. So I'm just on the upper end of the "norm" but just above where you can find bras in the lingerie stores, and a limited selection elsewhere.

I've been pregnant and nursing for numerous years, and so I've had quite a bit of fluctuation because of that.

Honestly, if you wanted to stock up I would stock up in nursing bras.

They have more hooks to expand or contract some extra band size. You can get ones that hook up and give multiple hooks to choose from for cup size changes.

If you are truly concerned about significant size change, in a bad situation you are more likely to lose weight than gain it. You can probably estimate if you are likely to drop cup sizes significantly by feeling your breats like during a breast exam.

Some women have more fat in their breasts and these breasts are less dense. They are more prone to losing cup size.

If your breasts are denser, the glands in them are probably bigger or you have more of them. Denser breasts are less likely to lose much in the way of cup size unless you are significantly over weight. However these breasts are more likely to go up at least a cup size when engorged.

If your breasts are more fat and less dense, stock up in the cup size below yours as well.

If your breasts are more dense, don't.

If you are between normal and just barely into the obese category your band size shouldn't change so much unless you are already on the set of hooks that makes your bra snuggest.

If you are more than 50# over your ideal weight for your size, then you probably want to stock some bras down in the next band size down.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I have a Champion bra. It really is excellent. I wouldn't wear mine for just a wearing around bra, though.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Whether binding, making your own bras, or stocking up, the important thing is to do it now. When TSHTF will be too late. Determining your best options are up to you, but prepare now. Great post!

Edited to add S&F!

[edit on 9/16/2009 by darkelf]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I did not say on the nipple but on either side of it

rough idea

I = string

^ = nipple

I^I

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Sport's bras, love!

They make them way better than they were 5 years ago -- heck even have better ones this year than last. (And fashion constantly improves!)

Stock up on a few adjustable, very supportive sports bras in a few different sizes. They are truly a staple for any girl's survival kit!

- Mea

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Pictures or it's not true.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nickmare
Pictures or it's not true.

Which type?The perky little ones or the blue plate specials?

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
To the rope and string ideas, all I can say is owwy!. There's no way they wouldn't chafe or bind at some point. Sports bras or ace bandages are the way to go. While I'm not huge, I am big enough that going braless is an exercise in torture. If you use the ace to bind your chest, use ribbon or other smooth binding to cinch between your breasts, pull the ends behind your neck and tie. Not a great solution, but I used this when I couldn't find the right bra for under a dress/outfit.

As to the feminine hygiene issue, cloth. They make washable pads out of some of the most luxurious materials now, it's like wearing nothing during that time. I've already made the switch, and I have less cramping, go figure.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by usernamechallenged]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I agree with the suggestion of sports bras. Also there are companies that make cotton and silk bras that are the same style as sports. You can stock up on them and they don't take up much room.

But here is a real secret that you can benefit from if TSHTF or not. Bras last almost forever if you never put them in the dryer. The dryer is what kills the elastic. Seriously. Since I found this out not a single bra of mine has become unusable.

If somehow you end up with the natural material bras after TSHTF and the elastic manages to wear out even without the dryer, you could thread a ribbon through the bottom where the elastic was and convert it to draw string. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Cottonique is one option, though I've never tried it myself.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Okay, since this has become an ongoing theme now -

Breast compression is not good for you. Compressing lymphatic tissue as a common practice is just a bad idea.

The Physics of Bras

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexxica

Hehe...if you find a sports bra that doesn't make us look like a one breasted woman (can I say that on here :puz
, let me know, I have yet to find one. I too am like you, and I never did think too much of this subject until you brought it up, but it is important as I could never go without wearing my bra either.

Thanks for the thread....

edited because i left out a word..

[edit on 18-9-2009 by notsosweet]

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by notsosweet
reply to post by Lexxica

Hehe...if you find a sports bra that doesn't make us look like a one breasted woman (can I say that on here :puz
, let me know, I have yet to find one. I too am like you, and I never did think too much of this subject until you brought it up, but it is important as I could never go without wearing my bra either.

Thanks for the thread....

[edit on 18-9-2009 by notsosweet]

You need to look for encapsulation bras. Sure, they may look like torpedos, but they do work.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

A friend of mine said that years ago, some group had found a correlation with underwire bras and breast cancer, but if I am remembering correctly, she said it was only for women who wore their bras for more than ten hours a day.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmethystSD
I agree with the suggestion of sports bras. Also there are companies that make cotton and silk bras that are the same style as sports. You can stock up on them and they don't take up much room.

But here is a real secret that you can benefit from if TSHTF or not. Bras last almost forever if you never put them in the dryer. The dryer is what kills the elastic. Seriously. Since I found this out not a single bra of mine has become unusable.

If somehow you end up with the natural material bras after TSHTF and the elastic manages to wear out even without the dryer, you could thread a ribbon through the bottom where the elastic was and convert it to draw string. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Cottonique is one option, though I've never tried it myself.

Love the ribbon idea, though I've never put a bra in the dryer and had some wear out after a year anyways. Granted they where the cheapies.

Originally posted by Aeons
Okay, since this has become an ongoing theme now -

Breast compression is not good for you. Compressing lymphatic tissue as a common practice is just a bad idea.

The Physics of Bras

I've found that going up a cup size works for not compressing, some brands you can even go up 2 sizes and they feel like a "normal" bra. Very comfy for chasing the kiddlings around the playground.

The nursing bra idea is awesome. They have so much stretch in the cup that you can go up or down a bit and still have a great fit-sorry to whoever posted I forgot to quote you.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Lots of good ideas, but I would save the rope and string to make an impromptu athletic supporter for the men.

Sports bra. I also like the idea of a ribbon instead of elastic at the bottom edge. It would be possible to fashion something like that, sewing one. Or the halter style as mentioned.

Also, sometimes a tighter fitting (but not to the point of discomfort) undershirt or cameo top keeps the breasts relatively comfortable but snug.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I burned my bras in Piedmont Park in Atlanta, Ga. in 1966.

I rarely wear one and then it is a pain.

There is no way I'm going to worry about a bra in a sitx.

I usually wear an over shirt to conceal my pistol on my side and it does a good job of concealing my breasts.

Truthfully, I despise bras. When I do wear one it almost puts me in a panic attack.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
prolly already been said but any mans undersized "wifebeater type" undershirt should be very helpful?
Sorry to be short but had to get in on the bra talk...

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I would say theres a good chance that when TSHTF where ever you are you will most likely be wearing a bra. Throw an extra one into your BOB, if not take good care of the ONE you have on.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Duct tape and parachute cord. You can make anything out of that.

posted on Sep, 29 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Start out with a bed sheet like material.
Cut the sheet in half longways.
Fold in half and make a twist in the material.
Allow your breasts to fall into the pockets as you wrap the fabric around your back.
Tie it off on your back with a square knot.
The twist should be centered on your chest in between your breasts.

For added support, hold the center of the fabric on the center of your back and wrap one side at a time a bit tighter around each breast, crossing the fabric over the top of each other and then tie it off in the back again.
You can use this together or separate.
No sewing, no special materials. Just thin fabric.

This can be done with an old t-shirt as well.
Cut the t-shirt just under the arms, straight across.
Yank at the resulting loop of fabric to stretch it out. It will stretch considerably.
Cut at the seam and do the same thing as above.

[edit on 9/29/2009 by reticledc]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join