It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicious package investigated at Times Square

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Suspicious package investigated at Times Square

news.bnonews.com

NEW YORK CITY (BNO NEWS) -- Emergency services are investigating a report of a suspicious package at Times Square in New York City, officials told BNO News on Wednesday morning.

Spokespersons for the New York City Police Department and the New York City Fire Department confirmed they were on scene to investigate. The NYPD bomb squad is reportedly also on scene, but officials did not immediate confirm that.

Webcams of Times Square did not show any visible presence of emergency services, and traffic did not appear to be disrupted.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Could this be linked to the other reports that have been coming in since yesterday

Toronto, NYC, FBI doing raids, Congress being briefed

So the Webcams are showing nothing, could some one have re routed the cams?

Will be interesting to see just how far this one will go, will further items be found, will it be confirmed or will it all just turn out to be another hoax/false report.

news.bnonews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   
UPDATE:

NEW YORK CITY (BNO NEWS) -- Emergency services are investigating a report of a suspicious package at Times Square in New York City, officials told BNO News on Wednesday morning. Spokespersons for the New York City Police Department and the Fire Department of New York City confirmed they were on scene, but were unable to provide more details on the situation. "PD is not giving us any information. We are on stand-by right now," a spokesman for the Fire Department of New York City said. The NYPD bomb squad is reportedly also on scene, but officials did not immediately confirm that. Webcams of Times Square did not show any visible presence of emergency services, and traffic did not appear to be disrupted. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority of New York (MTA) reported a train with mechanical problems at Times Square-42nd Street Station, but it did not appear to be related with the incident. MTA says there is no Times Square-bound 7 express train as a result, and commuters should expect delays. The suspicious package was reported at west 43rd street and Broadway Avenue

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   
And so it begins... Probably a day old Tuna sandwich in a brown bag. NYC is on high alert and the Police are going to be kept hopping with calls like this. Hopefully, it is nothing dire. The game is afoot.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I figured it was some poor homeless mans ditty box he left out while he was eating at the soup kitchen... :shk:

Should be interesting though, watching the bomb squads running to and fro...

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

NY is always on high alert. Whenever they increase that rainbow code to orange, it's the rest of the country that is increased. NYC stays at that level. Always one step from red. No point in fearing high alert. We live in high alert. Imminent threat is what we fear.

A package? NYC? Times Square?

big deal. I've watched the bomb squad detonate luggage a few times over the last 8 years. I work across the street from Penn Station. There's always a bag left behind. Times Square is a tourist area with lots of hotels and sights to see. People leave things behind all the time. Given the pointless leaks to the public these last two days, the public is now going to call in everything. Thus, some poor schmuck will have his drawers blown to bits.

Besides, someone wants to blow something up in NYC, he'll do it the old fashioned way, suicide bomb. It's really the only way to pull it off without getting caught.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
not getting much across the news feeds

If anyone is in New York, can you confirm this is current

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by LenGXV6
not getting much across the news feeds

If anyone is in New York, can you confirm this is current

you know...NY is a great city...but for me, i would never live there. NY and washington are going to remain ground zero for a long time.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I couldn't find anything on the local news but, again, a package left on the street is pretty commonplace here.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Thanks Crakeur

I will keep looking for the next couple of hours, if nothings pops up, then I think we can say this would be some one being a bit jumpy

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Suspicious package at Times Square deemed safe

BNO News

NEW YORK CITY (BNO NEWS) -- Emergency services investigated a report of a suspicious package at Times Square in New York City on Wednesday morning, officials told BNO News. It was later declared safe, a spokesman for the New York City Police Department said. Traffic in the area was not disrupted during the incident

Declared Safe - Does this mean it did contain something and rendered safe, or this is a nothing package?

Personally I am going with the later, I get the feeling people are more hyped at the moment, and more then likely, we will see these reports for the next week or so

EDIT: For the MODS - Close thread please

[edit on 16-9-2009 by LenGXV6]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by LenGXV6

it was probably just some bag of stuff that someone forgot to take with them. It happens constantly here and nobody was "hyped" about it. The two most up to date news sources here in the city didn't even bother to report it.

Let me say it again, for those that don't like to read all the posts.

NYC probably has over 100 such packages a day. This wasn't even a blip on the radar here.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'm with Crakeur, how do you tell that some junk someone left on the street in Times Square is "suspicious" and the other ten tons of garbage lining the streets isn't?

To be fair, there could've been trucks and cop cars lining the street, SWAT and ESU out, they could've raided a building and you wouldn't know. I've seen it happen, they only really report on the stories that turn out well. I've seen hostage situations that cover a whole block, with every person in blue from miles around, SWAT, choppers, and all the major news stations. Not one word from any news source.

It is New York after all lol

However, we have been getting a string of reports like this and it makes one think, why the increase in reporting fairly empty stories about funny looking boxes?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

To be fair, there could've been trucks and cop cars lining the street, SWAT and ESU out, they could've raided a building and you wouldn't know. I've seen it happen, they only really report on the stories that turn out well. I've seen hostage situations that cover a whole block, with every person in blue from miles around, SWAT, choppers, and all the major news stations. Not one word from any news source. It is New York after all lol

This is one of the reasons I posted it, I do not live in NY, and the last time I visited was in 92, so I was hoping that some one over there may have some info either confirming or denying.

However, we have been getting a string of reports like this and it makes one think, why the increase in reporting fairly empty stories about funny looking boxes?
I have seen several reports come through since Monday, either false alarms or rendered safe. I am going to keep an eye on the feeds for the next few days, see if a pattern emerges from it.

OH, and if I sound rude/condescending etc, please accept my apologize, still getting the hang of typing verses talking.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
, they could've raided a building and you wouldn't know.

Yesterday I met the guy who runs the security at my temple (also my son's school). Former Homeland Security. I was talking to him about the raid and how it was being reported to the public and he said that there are so many raids and arrests that we never hear about that it surprises him whenever they do report about them. He was telling me about some group that he was watching and how he would tail them to PA, where they'd blow up stuff they built and stuff they bought, all in the name of training for something. He said they eventually got the green light to arrest the "cell" and they were armed to the teeth.

Not one word of press for an arrest that sounded very, very successful.

This snafu, with all these apartments raided and nobody arrested, even the guy from CO is now talking to the press about how ridiculous this all is, sounds like some orchestrated press game with, possibly, the intent to flush out some other group that they cannot seem to locate.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Wow. Thanks for that info Crackeur. That is very interesting. Now if I saw news about stuff like this more often maybe I'd be more inclined to believe them about such threats instead of made up stories and empty lunch boxes left behind.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by mkross1983]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by LenGXV6

You're doing quite well
New York can be a crazy place and there is almost always something going on somewhere. Driving over a bridge and seeing a car engulfed in flames, seeing an army of police assaulting a graveyard, being forced to switch trains because the one you were on ran someone over, these are fairly normal occurrences

reply to post by Crakeur

I'm with you on this as well. They're definitely up to something, I've noticed increased police activity but in NYC its really hard to figure out why.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

increased police activity:
1. that raid and the apartment searches.
2. the leak on the CO surveillance
3. Friday is the start of the Jewish New Year. High Holy Days. Always a step up in security when the holidays start.

No more of a presence than this time last year. you're just more aware of it thanks to #'s 1 and 2 above.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Number 3 makes sense.

I'm more aware of it because I'm paranoid, when I said increased activity I meant that I've personally seen a lot of police cars, vans and choppers out in the past couple days, more than usual. Granted, the most activity in the past few days was when they raided that apartment, which makes sense because I'm in Queens.

If there's one thing I can usually spot before it spots me is a police car. Unless it's unmarked and looks like a taxi lol

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Hopefully nothing bad happens...it certainly does not surprise me that men of middle eastern descent are attempting to once again detonate explosives in America...I have seen a pattern, even in my feeble mind...

However, if nothing does happen, it will be interesting to see if there is a sentiment amongst the other half of the country that this is simply a "false flag" to detract attention from the Acorn issue and it's Obama connection.
The MSM can't afford to ignore these issues any more. Doing so will only serve to pinpoint the bloom of the para-media.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join