It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hybrid cars: They aren't that fuel efficient.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
An article at Wired has pointed out that, in the city, hybrid cars don't get anywhere as many miles to the gallon as they advertise.
Wired

Data from independent product-testing organization Consumer Reports indicates that hybrid cars get less than 60 percent of EPA estimates while navigating city streets. In Consumer Reports' real-world driving test, the Civic Hybrid averaged 26 mpg in the city, while the Toyota Prius averaged 35 mpg, much less than their respective EPA estimates of 47 and 60 mpg. Hybrid cars performed much closer to EPA estimates in Consumer Reports' highway tests.

That's a huge gap between advertised mileage and actual mileage.
They really need to rework those testing procedures.
The way they're doing it now is not that accurate.

I was also surprised at the method they use for estimating fuel consumption:
*According to the EPA website, "The tests measure the waste substances emitted from consuming the fuel, not the actual fuel consumed. From the measurement of emissions, EPA can estimate the miles per gallon achieved by the vehicle on average."*

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
That's slightly shocking. I'd be mad as all heck if I'd bought one and found out I was being lied to. I'd be tempted to return it under the trades description act.

I just bought a new car. It gets 65 to the gallon (highway, 43 city), will go over 120mph, and gets to 60 in under 10 seconds. I can't imagine why people would bother with these mixed fuel cars. What a hassle, and you lose storage space in most of them, to hold the LPG.

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Zzub]

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 07:41 AM
link   
well which prius? toyota recently came out with a newly designed prius. from its powerplant to the size and shape of the body. it vaguely holds any resemblance to the old prius.

they did rework the entire powertrain for the new generation prius and i'm wondering if they are refering to it or the old one in the article...

driving style and the traffic plays a role, maybe their form of testing is more or less on a course than on real world streets, which would explain the higher numbers on the window than the actual numbers at the pump.

there's a lot of factors that can make a cars milage go down the toilet. jackrabbit starts at redlights can RUIN your economy.

also keep in mind that i know at least with the prius the gas engine is used more often at highway speeds and highway milage is lower than stop and go traffic. this probably holds true for the honda as well.

as a former "automotive technician" i have several questions that probably cant be answered by anyone here or the article itself.

but i question some things here...but i wont at the moment.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Yesterday NPR had a good spot on that, too.
We bought a Toyota Prius gasoline/electric hybrid in 2001 and just love it. The low emissions was the real attraction, but the economy is a huge plus. The first year we got it, the thing was getting 60+mpg. Since then the mileage has decreased to about 50+ without explaination. It is still nothing to sneeze at. I have asked dealers and searched the web without getting a good answer. We have even replaced the tires. It may just be that we do more highway driving. The car has "regenerative braking" (recharges the battery when you apply brakes or coast to a stop) and you do less of that on the interstate. We also run the air conditioning more (since I am such a delicate flower).

All-in-all, we are very happy with it. It is a great car, roomy for a compact and has plenty of trunk space two-person trips.

Edit: What car did you buy, Zzub? That sounds like a great commuter car.

[Edited on 15-5-2004 by Spectre]

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It's still much better than driving in a car that's 10 to 14 mpg. Gas prices are rising higher than ever here. Furthermore, hybrids are only out since about '99, so improvements will be made in the future. 10 years ago people saying similar things about computers.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Edit: What car did you buy, Zzub? That sounds like a great commuter car.

Hey, Spectre. It's a Ford Focus. 1.8 TDCI LX. It's a beauty.

www.essai-auto.com...

It looks like this, but in a much nicer color
Plenty of room inside too.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
have any of yall tried to drive the new prius

that thing is crazy took me 15 min to figure out how to crank it. Its one of the koolest and most futuristic cars on the market now.

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
A friend of mine has a prius...and i would never get one. Fuel economy is great, but his car continually died while making turns or during long red lights. I'll stick with my 96 bonneville, in all of its 15mpg glory

posted on May, 15 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamstone
A friend of mine has a prius...and i would never get one. Fuel economy is great, but his car continually died while making turns or during long red lights...

Meaning no insult, but your friend does know that the gasoline engine starts and stops on its own as power requirements change, right? That aspect, and having all the displays in the center of the dash, toko the most getting used to. If there is a problem with the car, take it back to Toyota. They have been sterling about service and support for us.

Zubb, the Focus seems like a great little car. The only negative I have heard was from a friend who bought one that had an oil leak. After many, many trips to the dealer without relief, Ford finally gave her a new one. I can't find the quote, but the "CarTalk " guys said that of you had a Prius and a Focus up on a lift you could not tell them apart.

top topics

join