It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is life really sacred?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The sun will still rise and set wither we are here or not.The cycle continues as always despite all the claims of a heavenly reward.So,is life truly sacred?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

Interesting question. I have wondered this. We plan to bomb the moon on October 8th, so I guess nothing is sacred. We are all just beer-goers looking for the next kick.

Are you suggesting that suicide is not as much of a sin as some people make it out to be? I mean, if there is such muck going on, how can any higher power tell us that we are wrong for not sticking it through.

This I have wondered, for we humans agonize over the strangest of details.

plucky

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Sacred is subjective, but yet. It is, because everything we are, everything we inhale, breathe see and touch and affect is sacred. without it, nothing would exist. I don't get how (but i do) we've become so disenchanted as to question the wonderfulness of infinite possibility. Just because who, Big Brother is so big and bad. pffft, F- that tool.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by thaknobodi]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mike dangerously

I like your question.
You are asking is Human life sacred? life does not emcompass just humans.
We're just top of the food chain on Planet E, doesnt mean we make the planet revolve. It did before us.
Do we treat human life as sacred? perhaps in religious doctrines and secular law, but humans do not treat it as sacred, not each others lives or any other life on this planet.

We should

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Either everything's sacred or nothing's sacred. I think that this is just another man made conception, which can be thrown down the drain.

-v

PS. If you are talking about human life, it is as sacred or cursed as everything else. I don't think that the earth or the solar system - ultimately the universe - would care a thing if man would wipe out themselves

[edit on 16-9-2009 by v01i0]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I guess it depends really on how one behaves to having such a powerful concept/tool as sacredness.

Like everyone else is saying, its subjective and not a needed thing at all.
But you may want to put it into play for some purpose. It exists and as any other thing that exists it can be used in a constructive or in a destructive way.

The key is to be aware of what exactly you are doing with your tools, because many people have had contact with millions of tools and never realized it, thus becoming used with the tools instead of using the tools.

Realize the tools that we are in contact with.
Figure out their current role.
Change their role so that you can evolve or in other words know (experience) more.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by Geladinhu]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Is life really sacred?

Oh, yes, absolutely it is, most definitely. That we are even here, now, is a freaking MIRACLE!!!

We ought to be absolutely ASTONISHED every day we wake up and head out to do our thing here on planet earth.

The problem is the degree to which we take life for granted, or somehow think of our own selves as separate from life, when we are at the very apex of it's creative expression, in eternal history, unto the present moment.

And the universe is very friendly to our existence, or, we would not be here.

One can approach this issue very logically and rationally, and become utterly astonished at the implications of what is real, and right before our eyes.

Sacred. If there's a word to describe it, that would be it.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Human life is only sacred sometimes. Team Jesus (the government) make up rules for you to be able to tell who's life is sacred and who's is garbage.

Team Jesus says that aborting a fetus is murder, but killing a baby or woman in Iraq is just unfortunate because it was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

S&F

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
No i do not think so, when you look at how many animals that dare to call themselves human, desperately try all there lifes to wreck others lifes.

What ever the term human means, something has been lost in translation to what people thinks it means. For me i am in a world of beasts, who just trying to murder anyone they can.

Plus it never changes.

[edit on 9/16/2009 by andy1033]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Words are utterly superfluous. Language evolved so we could "count beans". So...the word "sacred" - well it's man made, and given our instinct - as in any species - for self preservation and propagation - I'd say we're not much more sacred than an ant, bee, spider, alligator, rat, cockroach, etc... We just like to think we are because it serves our basic instinct for self-preservation well.

As for the "thing" that everyone is trying to find/define/decipher - religions call it soul, karma, chi, etc., scientists call it matter, energy, dark energy, quantum energy, etc. - I think that would likely fall into the range of the generally understood/populist definition of "sacred". Don't think we'll ever really figure it out though - don't think we were "cut" that way. And the BIG question that everyone wants the answer to - WHERE DID EVERYTHING (et al) come from? God, big bang, nothingness - that's a "black hole" the mind won't/can't even venture too deeply into - I'd say whatever THAT answer is - yeah, might be considered "sacred" in the sense that "anything with the power over life and death" falls into the generally accepted ideology of sacred.

Me, I find trees quite sacred - but then my "understanding" of the word sacred might be very dif. from the next guy or gal's. Heck, I rather find all nature/natural order rather "sacred" to be honest. And I think its quite capable of big "magic" as it goes - just not the kind that lets you curse people, prognosticate the future, make people get poxes, fall in love, etc.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Skeptical_Seeker

I'm just curious.
Why do you think we are capable of doing great things, that you couldn't find a better word to define then magic, but exclude some specific things such as cursing, precognition, etc?

It just seems unreasonable to exclude any possibility at all. Why do you exclude some possibilities? I see no logic behind that, but maybe I'm just not observing far enough.

And also, don't you think thats possible that language created us? I mean, that we evolved through language besides language evolving through us? I think it goes both ways. So language is not really superfluous how you say it is. I believe language to be vital and essential not only for our self-preservation but for our existence and condition at the present time.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   
God has respect for all life.Do humans have respect for all life.No.Everyone on this planet is a destroyer of life.Weather you body has killed bacteria or you step on a ant.We are all killers in some form.On the other hand we have to kill life to survive.We kill cows,chickens and pigs to eat.We eat plants and fish.So are we all reguarded as killers then.Some other intelligent alien speicies beleive we are.Some advanced alien species would never kill at all.My alien friends do not really worry if i kill life accidently by stepping on a ant ,killing bacteria in my body or eating a chicken.They do not like it when i deliberately go out of my way to kill another life form for no good reason.That really makes then mad.Like if i saw a worm crossing the path and stepped on it or squashed a spider on the wall.For some reason my alien freinds do not like me doing that.I can understand why they feel that way.I know for example my aliens freinds act in strange ways but i know why.For exsample if i decided to go out of my way to shoot five people dead or kill a little kitten which one would the aliens dislike the most.The kitten.This is because they know the kitten is reguarded as a defencenless little creature that has been killed by a much larger intelligent
life form for not reason at all.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

[edit on 16-9-2009 by GORGANTHIUM]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Geladinhu

I really don't want to get into a debate at all - but I'll respond once to clarify and/or respond to your questions. As to the "crack" about cursing, precognition, etc. - was more meant as tongue-planted-firmly-in-cheek humor than anything. Sorry if it ruffled your feathers.

As for the value of language, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Language is definitely functional and useful in our current state - but only for certain things. When you try to describe what some would call "deeper" things - words become a cumbersome barrier. But yes, you're absolutely correct, they're great for conducting business, talking about eyeliner and in the hands of the more gifted wordsmiths amongst us, they can titillate and stimulate the "better angels of our nature". But I still believe they are, ultimately superfluous. They are, for me "surface" - while other things communicate to us on a MUCH deeper, more intrinsic level. But this is just a personal opinion and as such many people may have ones that differ significantly from mine.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I have enjoyed this discussion and I hope to keep it going you all have such interesting thoughts on the matter and to just let this thread go would be a shame.I do feel that "the sacredness of life."is as subjective as art is.Life is infinite there is no reason to think of us as being special as many religions would have us think we are truly the top of the food chain on this small planet.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Skeptical_Seeker

I get where your coming from but words are quite powerful and just as sacred as the life that spawned their use. Words, written or spoken, are ways of expression. They are just as useful as music when it comes to emotional expression. Words only become cumbersome when used improperly, sometimes even words that are finite and usually have a set meaning can be used in ways to convey deeper meaning. The only barriers created when using words are the barriers that the listener/reader constructs. The more skillfully words can be used by an individual the more ability that individual has to express themselves, while other people find more expressive means than writing, words are one of the many arsenal for self expression.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
In my opinion nothing is "sacred", everything is made up of the same stuff, everyone has the same amount of importance as the next person. We have created an imaginary system of rank and importance but its not real, people just tell themselves that to justify what they do to other peoples/animals lives.

Reminds me of this verse from a Bob Dylan song...

Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their mark
Made everything from toy guns that spark
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It's easy to see without looking too far
That not much
Is really sacred.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Sacred can mean anything. From "highly valued and important" to "worthy of religious veneration : holy".

I think life is valuable and important, but not worthy of religious veneration or holy. And I think it's subjective. Each person will have a different view.

top topics

join