It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If I want to go to "home" i'll click the logo, Stop The Madness!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Hehe... k recently there was changes to the sidebars of this site. Now when you click on them, they take you somewhere. Where as before it was just dead space. Kind of handy at times, but it has an extremely annoying problem.

3 times now, once in a U2U, and twice in threads I have written lengthy responses, and every single time just a moment before submitting it, I accidentally click the side bars (usually to focus it and scroll)... you know the rest, page is gone, along with the message.

So seriously, if I want to go back to the mainpage I am happy to make the extra 100 pixel march towards the logo. Remove the links on the sidebars

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19 Oct 09 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Yeah im having the same problem i would like to see it removed if possible.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by king9072

3 times now, once in a U2U, and twice in threads I have written lengthy responses, and every single time just a moment before submitting it, I accidentally click the side bars

Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern and three times is an addiction. Quit clicking on the sidebars.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Originally posted by king9072

3 times now, once in a U2U, and twice in threads I have written lengthy responses, and every single time just a moment before submitting it, I accidentally click the side bars

Once is a mistake, twice is a pattern and three times is an addiction. Quit clicking on the sidebars.

Haha, well the issue is that by the time I realize my mistake it is far too late!!!

Seriously though, it's really grinding my gears. Cause when I write a long message I put thought into it, and it flows as I think. Once it get erased, not only am I mad, but I could practically never replicate the same post/u2u again.

Which makes me not want to rewrite it. In fact, the U2U and one of the messages I never did rewrite. I just left them. And the one message I did rewrite was extremely simplified from the first edition that was lost. It's really frustrating, and I am probably not the only one who has experienced this.

I can understand the idea was bright in theory, but in practice it's a nightmare. Anyone who seriously needs to get to the home page can easily scroll up and click the logo. No need to have 10 ways to get "home" on one page.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Ok fine. I am addicted. My name is king9072 and I am a sidebar click-aholic. I know I have an issue, but it's just too tempting. I write out 5, maybe 6... perhaps even 9 thousand characters... so much time, and effort... then I just get the urge to play with fire. I want to click so bad, but the voice tells me "no you'll lose your writing"... but then the OTHER VOICE... "oh it will be so much fun... just click it, we'll get to go HOME!" ...

Ahhh the anguish... please help me I don't wanna be like this anymore

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
WOW.

Ok, so I was just giving in to my addiction and testing the hotspots.

When you are at the top of the page, the bars to the right and the left are hotlinks for home.

When you scroll down, there is no hotlink. Completely defeating it's purpose. Since if I am already at the top of the page, I can click ATS.

I was under the impression that it was active when you scrolled down, but that's not the case (in which case, having the ability makes sense)...

WHY ALL THE MADNESS ITS DRIVING KING INSANE....

gotttta click.. gotta click... gotta click... click clicklclickclcicklcickclcikclcikclcikclick

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
i am having this problem as well. i use the space for re-focusing the browser window. i have yet been unsuccessful in retraining my browsing habits....and unwittingly end up back on the home page. what could possibly be the purpose for this?

annoying.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

ive had similar experience, now if i need to type something out that i feel is significant i type it out in notepad first then copy and paste it, its a bit long winded but the alternatives can be heart breaking at times

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I hate it. Kill it. It serves no worthwhile purpose.

The linking is active right up to the scrollbar in the browser which can also cause problems if you aren't Lt. Commander Data.

I objected in the ATS Issues thread as well but this is here I'll vote it down twice.

I'm already well trained though. My main problem is imprecision with the cursor and feeling like I have to be careful when I shouldn't have to care.

[edit on 9/16/2009 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Agreed, the sidebars clickies have gotten me a few times. Usually it's when I have a couple pages open at once, and I'm trying to copy, and paste from another page......very annoying

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
So that's what's going on. I couldn't figure it out.

I agree. Lose it. What's so important on the homepage?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
Agreed, the sidebars clickies have gotten me a few times. Usually it's when I have a couple pages open at once, and I'm trying to copy, and paste from another page......very annoying

I am extremely happy that notable members have shown up to lend their support this is truly frustrating.

To the member who talked about notepad, I know what you mean. And when I am writing a real full length thread, I do exactly that especially since theyre multiple posts long.

But I still write spontaneous long messages and I have lost 3 now. I think what sancho said was the most similar to my situation. I remember when it happened today, I had just finished the message, then flipped to another tab of ATS to grab some last minute detail... come back and voila... entire message gone when I clicked to focus

END THE MADNESS!

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
It is very annoying!
It only seems to happen on certain pages.
But it always happens at the wrong time.

All this miss clicking can only be increasing the server loads and bandwidth.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Yep this one has got me a couple of times as well!

Sloppy mouse use on my part I know - but my workspace is very disorganised - my old skool PS/2 mouse has only a 6 inch by 10 inch area to roam most of the time

My desk actually consists of an old cupboard door on 2 breeze blocks on 2 chairs
and if something on the telly catches my attention I have to swivel 90 degrees to the left on my garden chair making my mouse hand do quite odd things

On minute I'm reading someone's post and when I look back I'm on the home page - It actually took me quite a while to figure out what was doing it

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Glad I found this - I though it was just me!

I use gesture recognition to navigate and need to left click somewhere on the window to refocus. So it's not just the fact I might lose some post text, it makes it harder to navigate.

On virtually every other website I can do it on the "side bars".

I am sure no one will complain if it is changed, so how do we get this done?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Please allow me to join your on-line petition and vote in favor of eliminating this annoying feature.

...and if one of thosse little emotes scares the crap out of me again with his "WAY TO GO!" or whatever the heck he says, I'm gonna knock them right off the sidebar as well.

Becker

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This happened to me too, although I had no idea what happened or that I even clicked something, my post just vansihed.

I didn't bother writing again, it was lost for good

Over and out
Twisted-Inside-Out

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
THANK YOU! I have been so annoyed by this! I was just doing a very lengthy response this morning and well I guess my pointer hit the side and wham it was gone and I was on the home page and slightly pissed. I dont know why they did this, its really annoying! I will flag this because they should fix it! Flag for you and many imaginable stars

link   
THANK YOU! I have been so annoyed by this! I was just doing a very lengthy response this morning and well I guess my pointer hit the side and wham it was gone and I was on the home page and slightly pissed. I dont know why they did this, its really annoying! I will flag this because they should fix it! Flag for you and many imaginable stars

link   
holy crap why did it post 3 times?!

[edit on 9/16/2009 by mblahnikluver]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join