It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are young women becoming more narcissistic?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

LOL...sounds a lot like how men generally are. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. But have you ever noticed that a lot of men think they are the cream of the crop to the point of approaching beautiful women in a bar/club even though they are less than attractive?

Like I said, I don't mean this negatively, in fact, I envy how most men are very confident in themselves compared to most women who have a low self esteem and are insecure in their looks.

I think it's part of the effects of testosterone though. Maybe it's a side effect of the synthetic hormones in our food and birth control.

These are all just assumptions on my part, btw.

edit to add:

Found this from menshealth.com

Despite testosterone's explosive reputation, there's no solid evidence that it causes aggression or violence. On the contrary, heightened testosterone is often associated with self-confidence and social success. Testosterone levels typically increase to ready us for a challenge, whether it's a football game or a chess match. Testosterone also rises after a victory, causing an increase in confidence that often leads to even more victories, the so-called winner effect. Who would want less of a hormone like that?

So I wonder if an over abundance in men and an imbalance in women can contribute to inflated egos.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by nunya13]

posted on Sep, 24 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Im going to have to say yes here. My cousin who is 15 always has extentions in her hair. She took them out last night and cried for two hours because her natural hair is short and feels like nobody will like her unless she has long hair.

Its sad to these girls think they have to be some crazy image they made up in there mind to be liked. But its the real deal, and alot of teens are dealing with it. Hopefully things change.

posted on Sep, 25 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
"It is just the same with mothers. When they have borne their children and given them their milk and beauty and strength, they themselves become invisible, and no one asks about them any more."

"But that is sad," I said, without really thinking very much about it.

"I do not think it is sadder than all other things," said Leo. "Perhaps it is sad and yet also beautiful. The law ordains that it shall be so."

"The law?" I asked curiously. "What law is that, Leo?"

"The law of service. He who wishes to live long must serve, but he who wishes to rule does not live long."

"Then why do so many strive to rule?"

"Because they do not understand."

-Hermann Hesse, Journey to the East

posted on Oct, 3 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by nunya 13
reply to post by silent thunder

LOL...sounds a lot like how men generally are. I don't mean that in a negative way at all. But have you ever noticed that a lot of men think they are the cream of the crop to the point of approaching beautiful women in a bar/club even though they are less than attractive?

Like I said, I don't mean this negatively, in fact, I envy how most men are very confident in themselves compared to most women who have a low self esteem and are insecure in their looks.

I think it's part of the effects of testosterone though. Maybe it's a side effect of the synthetic hormones in our food and birth control.

These are all just assumptions on my part, btw.

edit to add:

Found this from menshealth.com

Despite testosterone's explosive reputation, there's no solid evidence that it causes aggression or violence. On the contrary, heightened testosterone is often associated with self-confidence and social success. Testosterone levels typically increase to ready us for a challenge, whether it's a football game or a chess match. Testosterone also rises after a victory, causing an increase in confidence that often leads to even more victories, the so-called winner effect. Who would want less of a hormone like that?

So I wonder if an over abundance in men and an imbalance in women can contribute to inflated egos.

[edit on 24-9-2009 by nunya 13]

nunya 13,
Women do this very conduct themselves. They just do it in a woman type way. They also learn this pattern of conduct at younger ages than do males.

I remember overhearing a conversation between two young females about men. They were about 18 or 19 years old.

One female told the other that when she met a new guy she looked right into his eyes to see if he could make eye contact....then she looked to see what kind of car he drove.

It told me alot about her ego and value system at that young age.
What it told me was that she was looking into "His" potential to see if he was worth her time to tap into it and corral it to and for her purposes.
What never came up in the conversation was what she was offering for this potential. What skills, talents, and or items of real intrinsic value she had to offer in the marketplace for a male defaulting all this of his potential over to her??

Women do this often...they just do it in a more subtle manner..but it is often lying and deceiving themselves..and also the males in this. I say this because of the implicitness of it..not its explicitness.

The only difference is that as women get older they often get much more skilled at the presentation/method.
Most males do not get courses in this type of thinking. They should. Many of them desperately need the knowledge.
It would prevent alot of them from making dumb mistakes.

As to men or males trying out. I don't agree with a lot of this stuff. Ever noticed male guppies or mollies in a tank coming up to the females and wagging their tails to get female attention. Sort of like "trying out " for a baseball team. I call this "Try outs." They come up and wag their tails to get attention. The female mollies or guppies are wondering when someone is going to put food in the tank. Not very bright of many of the males.
Somehow a lot of males and females think this is the only game in town. It is not. It is also very pubescent at any age.

A lot of women are overly obsessed with appearance because they believe it raises their value in the marketplace..especially against the "competition."

Males are stupid enough to think that beauty is a measure of real value. It is not. It is often very overpriced and high maintenance compared to the risks one will have to take to maintain such thinking and values on the part of the female...or the female and children both.
Many women and females tend to think that beauty values are transferable into all kinds of goods and services at no risk or hardship to them with no consideration for the male who must risk to get or maintain them. Not a smart trade off on the part of the male. He will never experience Peace in his life...for all this...only Piece. Piece is a poor substitute for Peace as many thinking males have come to realize.
There are a lot of females/women out here who like to think they are sitting on the only one in town. A whole genre of institutions/propaganda are out here catering to this philosophy/religion.

It is very easy to think one is mature when ones expectations and beliefs ..especially in difficult times and situations are the primary responsibility of someone else. This is false maturity.

When you find males like this..look closely at who or what is the primary influence in their lives when they were being raised. With most of them it was either a woman or a television/movie set...or both. And possibly peer group raised on more of the same. I find many of these males to be feminine. They can dress like males, talk like what many think are males but when the going gets rough..they are like women...looking for someone else to get going for them and the kids.

The problem here nunya 13 is that there is a pseudo system here in play which has been institutionalized to the point where both sexes think this is the only game in town and both don't realize it is an ersatz system. It is the appearance of value but offers no value...male or female. When the good times are over there is nothing but dirt and baggage remaining. They are busy consuming each other. Not complimenting each other.

Jess_Undefined

Im going to have to say yes here. My cousin who is 15 always has extensions in her hair. She took them out last night and cried for two hours because her natural hair is short and feels like nobody will like her unless she has long hair.

Its sad to these girls think they have to be some crazy image they made up in there mind to be liked. But its the real deal, and alot of teens are dealing with it. Hopefully things change.

LOL LOL LOL. I went through a number of posts here on ATS/BTS where a number of women got irate at me for stating that women/females were just as physical if not more so than most men could even conceive.

Your sister here is illustrating the point quite well. Women/females understand colours, cut, shape, presentation...etc etc etc..far more clearly directly and indirectly as compare to the male and male psyche. They learn this at much younger ages as well. Women understand their physicalness in the marketplace of beauty values and thinking in competition against other women as a tool to raise their value/competition potential.

In physicalness women/females also understand RISK from a much different perspective than does the average male as well as how to get RISK to work for them to their ease and betterment...with them limiting their RISK as a byproduct of this understanding. Sometimes this is also called STATUS. GEtting a male to take RISKS for them is sometimes called STATUS.
Loss of beauty potential is loss of status, loss of competition potential,loss of place in the primordal pecking order.

Thanks,
Orangetom

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join