It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carter: Race Plays Role in Obama Dislike - UPDATED: White House rejects racism claim

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
We didn't like Jimmy Carter either....was that racism?

This is more about Jimmy Carter defending his second term in office more than anything.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Originally posted by Gools
I would suggest that it's ability to actually accomplish these ends is due to the fact that there is some validity attached to the accusation.

Of course there is *some* validity to the fact of opposition to Obama solely because of his race. You'd have to be either brain dead or completely dishonest to state otherwise. Some people *ARE* racist.

But so what?

Why does the fact of THAT singular issue get to silence all other valid reasons for opposition?

Unless there is PROOF that Obama's skin color is the primary reason people oppose him, I really don't want to have to hear about it every time I'm simply waiting for my non-race-based concerns to be addressed.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by northof8
How is it racist? It's a hard and true fact that every inner city that blacks control is crime ridden. Just because it's true makes it a racist comment?

But blacks don't control any cities, all cities are all under the control of the same corrupt state and federal government. There are trailer parks that are crap holes, too. Poverty is what creates those crime ridden places, not race.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I think it's pretty inane to suggest that any opposition to Obama is due to racism. It's a useful strawman, of course.

It is certainly a factor - it's clear as day.

Wouldn't want to put a number on it. However, I know a way this could be done and I would hope certain people in the US are doing the studies now.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Until there is an acknowledgment of outside influence, this thread will go nowhere. That is simply the way it is.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
In a country with a turbulent racial history operating on politically correctness there are many people in denial about their true feelings regarding this president because it wouldn't be politically correct to admit. So in regards to what Carter said,

"I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man,".
Has more than a grain of truth.

Is that the mindset of everybody who disagrees with his policies? Most definitely not!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by northof8
So the majority of blacks voeted for him because of his race alone and that's not racist. We oppose him because he hates America and everything we stand for and we are racist?

The majority of blacks vote democratic. The % was even higher than usual in 2008. If blacks only voted for people because they are black, explain Michael Steele. He lost his Senate race in 2006, only got around 12% of the black vote. Surely the good black people of Baltimore would vote for one of their own over the white man Ben Cardin ?

Why do you think Obama hates America ?

Tea Party Express speaker Mark Williams said Obama was an "Indonesian Muslim turned welfare thug".

You said he's "nowhere near an American". Do you too think he's an Indonesian ? Maybe you think he's a Kenyan ?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bballjamal
He hasn't done anything remotely as terrible as Bush but he's already getting the same post 9/11 Bush hate. Interesting. But race isn't an issue, ...

I noticed that as well.

One of the things I'd like to know is... where were all the people who are - just now - suddenly - in love with the constitution... where were they all these long past years?

Is partisanship that deeply ingrained?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This may seem a little off topic, but I assure the court that it has relevance.

In the past, the label of racist was reserved for anybody, black or white, who used superficial distinctions of race in relating to groups or individuals. The key was not whether the distinction, usually negative, was indicative of anything valuable, but rather that race, or ethnic, distinction was made at all. Except for personal preferences, like socializing and going to church, race-based discrimination was, by definition, off-limits, out-of-bounds - morally, ethically, and legally, indecent.

Now let’s jump over to today’s ‘real’ world. Any American who is not afraid of black men on some level is simply not thinking straight. Also, remember that fear is an emotional response, so do not think about it too much, it is what it is. I’m afraid, and I AM a tall-ass black man, and one who studied the martial arts for fun. I am afraid for me, my family, my friends, my acquaintances, and lastly for anyone, male or female, white, black or green, who might statistically find themselves in the presence of a black male at the ‘wrong place and wrong time’. Call me whatever you like, I don’t give a Freak, I’m talking about life and death!

So when people make distinctions about blacks and crime, especially violent crime and murder, I no longer immediately jump onto the offensive. Yes, these comments sound racist to me, and piss me off if I think about them too much. But the real question is if the behavior behind them resembles me in it's prudence, and too often it does. I avoid unfamiliar gatherings of black males. I check out how black men present themselves and avoid those that feel dangerous. I also judge black men by their dress and manner, especially those wearing inmate clothing, all in an attempt to keep my life. This method is far from perfect, but it’s all I have, so I use it. If this profiling makes me racist in some way, and I believe it does, so be it. Better to err on the side of staying alive.

For me today’s racism is not about inferiority, but also about mortality. If black males do not want to be racially profiled as life threatening, they need to stop being a danger. And I need to see this in the stats, not out of somebody's mouth. It is as simple as that. In the meantime, I watch myself - it’s not right, but you need to understand.

James C. Collier

Please DO read this opinion and view the statistics provided

Racism is NOT limited to 'white' people not believing that a 'black' man can run a country.

Does it exist? Sure it does. Did it influence this last presidential election? Most certainly. Does it determine some people's feelings about Obama's performance? Yup. It's nothing new. I don't think it will ever go away.

How many black people voted for Obama because of the color of his skin? Was it more than a dozen? Is that racist? How many black people will look the other way as promise after promise is broken simply because the president is a black man? More than a couple? Is that racist as well? Of course it is.

You see, it's all fine and well to cry 'racist' when things aren't going your way, or when you need a blanket to hide under that affords you an out on your responsibilities. But when the color of your skin has the influence on people that is advantageous to your campaign efforts, then it's not the same 'kind' of racism, right?

You just can't have it both ways.

To say that race is the OVERWHELMING reason that people disagree with Obama, or his policies, or his actions, is racist in itself and anyone using that term to cop this man out of his responsibilities to the people of this nation should be brought up on charges. Just make the charges up, we're good at that. Call it a hate crime, because that's all it is. It's a tactic to stir up hate and anger.

If you wear chains in todays society it is pretty much YOUR choices and YOUR actions that got you there. you are only as free as you will allow yourself to be.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

You have NO idea, well maybe you do but i think you live in canada. Some people here base their entire existence on partisan politics.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Yes.......so is fear of seemingly major changes in everything.

It isn't racism........it is partisanship and fear with a minute amount of racism from a minute group of people.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Its not about race, thats just their cop-out. Its about a president with no experience, horrible policies, and no idea what the heck he is doing. He is the perfect puppet for the people holding the strings.

So I guess when black people complain about Obama they are considered racist as well because he is half white?

The fact that a black president was even elected is truth enough that racism is primarily a thing of the past. The only reason it still exists is because people make such a stink over it.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

One of the things I'd like to know is... where were all the people who are - just now - suddenly - in love with the constitution... where were they all these long past years?

I get your point, but there are some of us who have been the real deal from the beginning.

Hopefully not all of the new folks are faking it.

If that is really the case, then we really are toast, imo.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by loam]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

What say you ATS?

I have said before that I agree with what Carter is saying.

Unfortunately, I think many people of whom he speaks are unaware that they hold these feelings. Like Congresswoman Virginia Fox, who said...

"In a recent article, conservative commentator Thomas Sowell, an African American, examined some of the President's claims about the health care reform legislation moving through the Congress. I wanted to quote some excerpts from his column that I found insightful."

Did she feel that stating Mr. Sowell's race was relevant? Why? Because Obama is black, too? Because they usually stick together? Because they think alike? Because black people would sell out their beliefs to support "one of their own"?

Source

Hi Gools!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
We have a saying in the UK, "Is it coz I is black??" That answer to everything when a fellow "human being" will use any excuse at thier disposal to get out of the situation they got themselves into. The fact that the MSM constantly throws that at any person who speaks against bho has worn thin... There is no racism allowed in a republican constitition that DEMANDS accountability for ALL men are equal and have a responsability for thier own actions, and if president, the buck stops with him/her... Obama only has himself and his puppet masters to blame, and the people are no longer fooled or swayed by MSM rhetoric. So ignore old has beens who his supporters wheel out to cover facts with buzz words, carry on speaking the truth and calling your leaders to account. And if they do not respond to the peoples wishes as underlined in your constitution, then you are legally bound by the same paper to oust them and replace them with people who are honourable, integral and for the people.
In my opinion, apart from the bible, the american constitution is the most profound and genius legister the world has ever seen, and is worth protecting and upholding with your very lives.. It has been a beacon of freedom for the whole world, has made you the worlds leaders, and you have a responsability to the rest of the world to ensure it is maintained, coz where you lead we follow. When you sneeze we catch a cold.
America truly has the world on her shoulders, and we are watching...

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Unfortunately, I think many people of whom he speaks are unaware that they hold these feelings.

The only thing better than a *race card* is one coated in Teflon.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen... but I assure the court that it has relevance.

Agreed... entered into the record.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Gools

What proportion of opposition to Obama's presidency can be attributed to racists hiding behind the "anti-liberal" banner?

There is no way to know that.

However playing the race card, keeps the real issues hidden.

So does calling him a sort of Hitler, Stalin, Muslim, Homosexual, Non citizen, Arab, Terrorist, Fascist, etc... margarita ---------

Same thing with Death Panels -

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Did she feel that stating Mr. Sowell's race was relevant? Why? Because Obama is black, too? Because they usually stick together? Because they think alike? Because black people would sell out their beliefs to support "one of their own"?

Yeah... I'm not sure how to explain this kind of behaviour... anybody?

Hi Gools!

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join