It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Supports Extending Patriot Act Business Records Snooping

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by stevegmu

Right, because we all know the politicians read each and every bill put in front of them.

Not one Congressman read the "Bailout Package", a heist of tax money ridiculously given to the banks without any sort of stop-gap to keep them from using it however they wanted.

Yes, I read the "Bailout Package", and understood every word, with content and intent.

They do not read a tenth of the bills shoved in front of them, they get synopsis from some intern who is seeking approval from a possible mentor.

I have read the Patriot Act.

When it comes down to it, there is way too much ignorance being practiced by Congress in the guise of plausible deniability.

[edit on 16-9-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
So much for change.

2nd line

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
President Bush, in the guise of "national security," definitely made a few mistakes during his term as President. It's unfortunate to see that Obama is continuing (and worsening) misguided policies like the Patriot Act.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I sincerely hope most people here weren't as naive as to think that Obama was really going to reverse things like this.

What possible reason could he have for wanting to lessen government control?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This is exactly why I don't understand how the people who voted for Obama did so mostly because they thought he was the exact opposite of Bush STILL support him and defend him.

I have to ask all Obama supporters this one question:

Is THIS the change you believe in?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
As I said elsewhere, I am disappointed but not surprised.

Obama is no more immune from the inherent flaws of our current political system than any other mainstream politician - on the other hand, when I voted for him, I didn't really expect anything more than a slightly less obnoxious mainstream politician than the last bunch.

So I'm not all shocked and betrayed

On the other hand, does anyone here seriously think a McCain/Palin administration would have repealed the Patriot Act?

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen

Would you not think that he has instead, decided to allow this country to travel a road paved by a previous adminitration? He could certainly be adding nails, but did he build the coffin?

This is exactly how I see it this whole nefarious plot.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Heck no those two most surely would not have done such a thing. I think it just goes to show how entirely screwed we are. It doesn't matter which party it is at this point.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
So it was HORRIBLE for Bush to start the Patriot Act, we have had to hear about it over and over and over and over again on these boards when talking about Obama and our freedoms.......

Soo now that he wants to extend it........is that ok? What say you now liberal left? Or is it ok now that Obama is doing it? Will people just say "oh well hes just doing what was already done" .....accountability?

We shall see.......would love to hear input from the Obama supporters

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kerontehe

To me this a continuation of say one thing, act according to you're real agenda.

Yeah, at least Bush did what he said, I suppose. Not saying that makes what he DID do okay...at all.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Even if they want to use that excuse it doesn't matter. Bush might have requested it and signed it. But the only reason it made it to his desk for signing is because of congressional members like Obama who voted "yes" for it.

What's worse is that, if I remember correctly, he first denounced it.

He's the worst kind of politician man. He always does the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he says he's going to do.

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I'll just leave this here:

The US Constitution: 4th Amendment-

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

And this is what the Article said:

The Obama administration supports extending a controversial provision
of the Patriot Act that allows investigators to demand that businesses turn over sensitive financial records, without specifying the investigation's target or why the files are needed.

This can't get any clearer. This is the EXACT OPPOSITE. What the hell kinda Constitutional Law did Barack H. Obama study and teach?

[edit on 17-9-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Sep, 17 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by KSPigpen
reply to post by burntheships

This is proof that The Obama Administraion will enact a National Security State.

To be fair, my friend, as he is just extending the previously activated provisions of the 'Patriot' (barf) Act, could he really be considered as having ENACTED the 'Security State?'

Would you not think that he has instead, decided to allow this country to travel a road paved by a previous adminitration? He could certainly be adding nails, but did he build the coffin?

I'm no Obama fan, but it seems to me like the erosion of our rights and our shopping trip to Martial Fields was arranged quite a while ago and rather than the hope some of us had for change in a new president being realized, we have been told, as a nation that 'the check is in the mail,' and we are all learning to not hold our breath.

I don't understand what your point is. The precursor to the Patriot act was "Omnibus Counterterrorism Act of 1995" and it was introduced by Joe Biden.

CNET: Joe Biden Pro-Riaa...

"...months before the Oklahoma City bombing took place, Biden introduced another bill called the Omnibus Counterterrorism Act of 1995. It previewed the 2001 Patriot Act by allowing secret evidence to be used in prosecutions, expanding the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and wiretap laws, creating a new federal crime of "terrorism" that could be invoked based on political beliefs, permitting the U.S. military to be used in civilian law enforcement, and allowing permanent detection of non-U.S. citizens without judicial review. The Center for National Security Studies said the bill would erode "constitutional and statutory due process protections" and would "authorize the Justice Department to pick and choose crimes to investigate and prosecute based on political beliefs and associations." Biden himself draws parallels between his 1995 bill and its 2001 cousin. "I drafted a terrorism bill after the Oklahoma City bombing. And the bill John Ashcroft sent up was my bill," he said when the Patriot Act was being debated, according to the New Republic, which described him as "the Democratic Party's de facto spokesman on the war against terrorism."

Both Parties are responsible for the Patriot Act. If you continue committing a crime even though you didn't start the crime you are just as culpable. If Obama was actually different he would stop the Patriot Act or try too.

Both parties are scum imo and Obama is scamming people by making them think he is different just because he is a good speaker . Did he build the Coffin? No because Presidents don't do anything but his VP sure did help with the Coffin and plenty of Dems voted for it originally.

Liberals roasted Bush near the end of his administration for the patriot act but now that Obama is in the left doesn't care anymore.
Its like the wars, when Bush is in the left is anti- war but when Obama comes in they don't care about the wars anymore.

People need to stop worshiping parties and think for themselves we are all being duped and its pathetic.

If Obama was a man and not a coward he would stand up and do something right ith this position he has been given but as it is now he is just as spineless as every President has been. Kennedy was the last President with balls and we know what they did to him.

To reiterate: With Bidens earlier introduction of the Omnibus Counterterrorism Act of 1995 and the Dems overwhelming support for the patriot act in 2001 including a YES vote by Obama and the Republicans voting for it and Bush signing it they were all responsible.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join