It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
WASHINGTON – The House has voted to admonish Rep. Joe Wilson over his "You lie" outburst to President Barack Obama during the president's health care speech to Congress last week.
The 240-179 vote on the resolution of disapproval reflected the sharp partisan divide over the issue. Democrats insisted that the South Carolina Republican take responsibility for what they said was a serious breach of decorum. Republicans characterized the vote as a political stunt.
Wilson himself would not back down on his position that he owed the House no apology. Surrounded by Republican supporters, Wilson said Obama had "graciously accepted my apology and the issue is over."
Under section 370 of the House Rules and Manual it has been held that a Member could:
• refer to the government as “something hated, something oppressive.”
• refer to the President as “using legislative or judicial pork.”
• refer to a Presidential message as a “disgrace to the country.”
• refer to unnamed officials as “our half-baked nitwits handling foreign affairs.”
Likewise, it has been held that a member could not:
• call the President a “liar.”
• call the President a “hypocrite.”
• describe the President’s veto of a bill as “cowardly.”
• charge that the President has been “intellectually dishonest.”
• refer to the President as “giving aid and comfort to the enemy.”
• refer to alleged “sexual misconduct on the President’s part.”
Democrats — Clyburn, Y; Spratt, Y.
Republicans — Barrett, X; Brown, N; Inglis, Y; Wilson, N.
So, 179 of them did not think that it was proper to give a gentle warning? That would be laughable if these fools didn't run our country.
Originally posted by octotom
If the 179 that voted no didn't find anything wrong with what he did, why vote to give him a gentle warning?
Originally posted by schrodingers dog
While it is a pretty sad and symbolic state of affairs when representatives mistake a presidential address for the set of Jerry Springer ...
... my irony index just exploded at the thought of no good lying bastard politicians admonishing one of theirs for yelling "liar!"
Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Originally posted by Aggie Man
reply to post by digger2381
Oh well, it passed anyway. Oh the power of numbers!
Oh the power of numbers and oh the power of too much time on their hands and obviously nothing better to do!
to our elected "representatives"
Originally posted by Beefcake
Ditto. I thought i was the only one to read this so far and think "Oh my god they actually had a vote?"
With all the pressing issues this country faces and they vote on this. An example of how petty and useless our gov't is.