It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Could you leave a loved one behind?

page: 1
8
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I have been giving this topic a lot of thought.With the strong possibility of a major
disaster happening at anytime.Could you leave a loved one behind?

I think that I would hinder my families chance for survival.I am in my mid-fifties,
I'm obese and have other health issues.I walk with a slight limp and I can't run.
I am allergic to perfumes and strong scents .If I have to help make lye soap,I
don't know how it will affect me.

I do have a mask I can wear when around scents that bother me.But,if I do
have a problem,I usually develope pneumonia.The last time this happened,I
was treated for walking pneumonia,which is contagious.An illness like that would
devastate a weakened community.

I do have medicine I can take immediately after exposure.I haven't had pneumonia for 18 months.In the wilds,you won't have access to a drug store.I
would have to find an herbal replacement.

I have been working to build myself up and lose weight.This takes time that we
might not have.I do have things prepared for my family to take when the time
comes.

I do have skills that would be important for my family.I can cook,sew,bake and
I'm not afraid of hard work.But,I also have issues that could affect my families
well being.I would probably stay where I'm at and wish my family good luck.

That is why I'm asking,could you leave a loved one behind when the SHTF?




posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
First of all congrats on working to resolve your health issues; it's hard. I've been working on that myself; I've lost 30 pounds since June on a high protein low carb diet and I work out every day. Trust me it wasn't easy but you can do it. Believe me my workout started as a slow stroll for a 1/2 every day, I'm up to over an hour every day.

As to leaving my loved ones behind; no I couldn't do it. I would stay and protect them as best I could. When push comes to shove the reality is, all we truly have is each other.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I agree. I only have one person that I consider a "loved one" that is anywhere near me, and there's no way I would leave him.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I don't if I could leave a love one behind. And I don't want to turn this into a religious battle. But the bible says woe to the women with children when Jesus comes. The bible teaches when Jesus comes that you go to him without looking behind you.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
All I have in this life is my wife.
I could never leave her behind.
I would do my damnedest to carry her out of harms way and would do whatever it takes to escape.
If escape became impossible, I would hold her and bite the dust with her.
At least she wasn't alone in the end.

Human beings are remarkable creatures.
When the cards are stacked against you, and you think all is lost, the adrenalin starts pumping and you could do some amazing things.
Good luck and never give up hope. NEVER!! EVER!!
In the end, Hope is all we have.
One can have enough hope for us all.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Sounds to me like you are getting you and your family prepared for a disaster that may or may not come. Congratulations on trying to improve your health.

I would not even consider leaving any of my loved ones behind. I've always thought that they might have to leave me behind sometimes as I broke my ankle a few years back, and it slows me down at times.

I think that all of us as a family has different things they can contribute in a situation like what could happen, and for me just knowing that my family is together I can have hope that we can make it through no matter what. That is what can give us the strength is our families love for one another.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I compliment you on producing this thread as I have come to terms with this question some time ago. I am the father of two boy's 8 yrs part, one 21 and the other 13, this decision hit me hard when I first thought about it so I decided to use the movie "War of the Worlds" as a discustion tool for my boy's and I.

We watched the movie again as a family, we discussed how Tom Cruise's son in the movie ran off as he "The parent" tried to protect and guide his children to safety so that he could return them to his ex-wife, they're mother.

During our discusion my oldest son related to Ton Cruise's son, my youngest son disclosed that he would most likely do what ever I needed him to do even if he was scared.

Now, taking into account that my oldest son (21) also has a girlfriend who most likely wouldn't follow direction really well without being overwhelming emotional leaving me no choice but to leave him behind if he didn't listten to wisedom. It breaks my hurt but I as a father have accepted early on that one day I would have to cut that cord.

With my youngest son, I find that my priority would be to get him to his mother as well, I know if something really bad (deathly) was going to happen that I would want him with her and her with him. An unselfish act might be just what I need.

But if plan "A" was not an option then he and I would leave this earth together however our creator sees fit. i.e. TPTB are going to have to kill us if they try to force us to take the H1N1 vaccinations or others, or if they try to put a chip in either one of us or other things like those examples.

In my experience (12yrs military) when the SHTF love can only get you killed. If love mattered in that situation then you all would have a plan in place so that nobdy gets left behind!


We have such a plan "Plan A", "Plan B" and "Plan C" in place in our family and "Plan Death" is acceptable if need be.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
First of all congrats on working to resolve your health issues; it's hard. I've been working on that myself; I've lost 30 pounds since June on a high protein low carb diet and I work out every day. Trust me it wasn't easy but you can do it. Believe me my workout started as a slow stroll for a 1/2 every day, I'm up to over an hour every day.

As to leaving my loved ones behind; no I couldn't do it. I would stay and protect them as best I could. When push comes to shove the reality is, all we truly have is each other.



I have been using a juicer for a couple of months,off and on.I can tell
a difference already.I'm just trying to get my immune system built up.
So far,I am doing better.I have been thinking about my children and
grandchildren.I wouldn't want to be a burden to them or their survival.

I know they wouldn't leave me behind.I would want to be left behind if
I would hurt their chances.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
I don't if I could leave a love one behind. And I don't want to turn this into a religious battle. But the bible says woe to the women with children when Jesus comes. The bible teaches when Jesus comes that you go to him without looking behind you.


The world behind you,the cross before you,no looking back.This is from
a song at church.I am a christian lady!
As a christian,we are to develope a christ-like attitude.We are to put
others first and ourselves last.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by reticledc
 



This is a great post,thank-you!



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Rams59lb
 



It is a good idea to have more than one plan.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
if the SHTF the first thing i would do if i wasn't with my wife. would be to get to her as quick as i could. id rather die than live the rest of my life without her.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by the illuminator
 


A lot of people feel the same way,stick together or die trying.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
To be brutally honest it depends on the relationship of that loved one and the situation. I would not and could not ever leave behind my sons or husband, but there are other loved ones that I have come to the conclusion that I would be able to leave behind if and only if the absolute survival of my immediate family is at risk.

I look at this way... until my children are adults capable of sustaining themselves, their needs and wants outweigh those of myself, husband and other family.

Also the decision to leave a really close loved one behind would not be one taken lightly, I think I would exhaust all options in that particular situation before that happens.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
well the only person i truly love in this world is my son. he is about to be 13 and i could never leave him. i fear death and think about it every day but i would fight to the death to protect him and risk death to get to him.
it's what a father should do



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth
 


Perhaps you should consider that speed itsn't everything; sounds to me like you might be the heart of your family. To my mind heart is everything; the one that wins in a fight isn't necessarily the strongest or fastest but rather the one that keeps getting up and fighting.

Something to consider if your family is demoralized by leaving you behind they may not have the emotional strength to face adversity.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
To be brutally honest it depends on the relationship of that loved one and the situation. I would not and could not ever leave behind my sons or husband, but there are other loved ones that I have come to the conclusion that I would be able to leave behind if and only if the absolute survival of my immediate family is at risk.

I look at this way... until my children are adults capable of sustaining themselves, their needs and wants outweigh those of myself, husband and other family.

Also the decision to leave a really close loved one behind would not be one taken lightly, I think I would exhaust all options in that particular situation before that happens.



I don't know how I would answer my own question.I will never leave
my husband.Our eldest son is going into deep,survival mode with his
family soon.I know my husband and I could go there.We have children
in 3 different states.I don't know about them.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thing fish
well the only person i truly love in this world is my son. he is about to be 13 and i could never leave him. i fear death and think about it every day but i would fight to the death to protect him and risk death to get to him.
it's what a father should do



Every good father puts his family first.The fact you would protect your
son at the risk of your own death, should prove to you that you're not
afraid to die.



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes
reply to post by mamabeth
 


Perhaps you should consider that speed itsn't everything; sounds to me like you might be the heart of your family. To my mind heart is everything; the one that wins in a fight isn't necessarily the strongest or fastest but rather the one that keeps getting up and fighting.

Something to consider if your family is demoralized by leaving you behind they may not have the emotional strength to face adversity.



I didn't think about that,I am the matriarch of our family.Thank-you!



posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
There is people you say you love, then theres people you actually love.
When times get desperate, theres people who will sacrifice themselves for you and people you would sacrifice yourself for.

Imagine if EVERYONE you know, knew, saw, heard, touched, smelt and people you havent had any of your senses detect, was one of those people.

The world wouldnt be such a silly place then eh?



new topics

top topics



 
8
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join