It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any help on what to do about Medication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I have Epilepsy, am I going to be in a heap of deep doo doo?
Is there a natural element that I could use to help controll seizures?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!

Thats a good question!
What kind of epilepsy do you have?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!

Thats a good question!
What kind of epilepsy do you have?

And that is a good question also. I have no idea what "kind" I have. I have Grand mal seizures. I have been well controlled for the past three years but I won't have access to the med if AHBL. So????????
I am thinking I would just be scre-wed?

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have a seizure condition as well. Here's what I did.

I told my doctor about my fears/concerns. I told him that I had a concern that, should the economy take a serious downturn or should we be attacked or something, I wouldn't be able to get my medication. I asked him to prescribe a years worth of pills so I could have them on hand and then continue prescribing me month to month. And he agreed to do it. He has been my doctor for years and knows me as his patient, so it would help if he or she knows you.

So, now, I still go to the Rx every month for a refill, but I have a year's supply in my possession. I had to pay for the year out of pocket, of course.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
You also may want to do a web search on 'The One Minute Cure'. I have not purchased it yet, don't have the money. But it is priority.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This really shows how the government controls everything in our lives,

they only usually give one month supply at a time........if The SHTF,

we will be out of luck, as far as our medications go!!

My daughter has grand mall seizures, that are controled thru

depacote, I don't know anything that is natural that would help,

to be honest with you.

[edit on 15-9-2009 by truth/seeker]

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by truth/seeker
This really shows how the government controls everything in our lives,

they only usually give one month supply at a time........if The SHTF,

we will be out of luck, as far as our medications go!!

[edit on 15-9-2009 by truth/seeker]

Exactally, I can't even get my medication refilled a week early. There is no way I could afford a years worth of meds without using my insurance. It would cost about $5000. and thats just to much for me.

I was hoping that there might be some kind of plant extract that would help.

posted on Sep, 15 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
My daughter has uncontrollable seizures and I have read and researched everything. I have read B vitamins may work, also read on certain crystals. I am skeptical on some of the remedies, but if doesn't harm you I would try anything. Also read edgar cayce's cure on his website.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I don't know if I can help, but a while ago I picked up two books a Natural Herbal book that explains how to make herbal/food remedies and what people have used them for and a book that lists plants/animals/insects in the region and what the plants were used for by native people. Both books have alot of info in it, i'm sure there has to be something about seizures. I picked them up at B&N. Maybe you can go there and flip through the books and see if they have something useful in them.
Here's a link to the herb book I have: Enclyclopedia of herbal medicine

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Be sure to check the expiration date on any meds you're planning on storing long-term.

Heretic, you should be rotating out your year supply so it doesn't get old. When you refill at the pharmacy, add that bottle to your stash and start using up the oldest bottle in your emergency supply. That way the meds stay fresh.

Almost all medications have a "expiration date." The date doesn't necessarily specify when the medication will "go bad" it is the medication's half-life -- the date at which the medication will reach half its potency. If the "expiration date" is two years from now, that mans in two years the med will only be half as potent as it is now. After another 2 years 1/4 potency. After another 2 years 1/8 potency and so on.

I assume you checked with your doctor that it's OK to store your meds for that long?

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:09 AM
link   
You might take a look at gemstones. They may help at least lessen the severity if not the frequency. They also help with the effects of medications so maybe not as much would be needed.

Link to usage:
www.neatstuff.net...

Link to a store that I have used:
crystal-cure.com...

Stones are also sold on Ebay.

Please don't take this as medical advice, I am not a doctor and am not familiar with your condition but I have had good results.

posted on Sep, 16 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
lately it seems every health problem is being linked to VitaminD deficiency.

www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I want to thank everyone for their responses.
A lot of interesting ideas. If anyone comes up with more please let me know. I think I might get the supplies for all the ideas and put them in my BOB. that way I can try different things if/when the SHTF.

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iseekthetruth!!!!!!!!
I have Epilepsy, am I going to be in a heap of deep doo doo?
Is there a natural element that I could use to help controll seizures?

There are a number of treatment options available to you aside from AEDs. I tried to list all the ones that I could find that had some scientific studies backing them on this chart.

Some recommended reading:

epilepsy 101 - part FAQ, part tips and advice

proactive prescription for epilepsy

on the therapuetic mechanism for specialty diets in controlling seizures

.. and because this is ATS, I'll offer these nuggets for thought:

pushing neurofeedback into the mainstream

Request for EFA assistance

posted on Sep, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
EDIT: sorry...the post above was not there when i started typing, no "copying" intended.

My mother suffers from a MULTITUDE of ailments (takes 21+ prescript. meds / day) and this is what we have been doing, and so far it's worked.

Most prescriptions are for 30-days. For those, after 3 weeks passes, we refill the script. This is the earliest it can be done for most of them. Each month, we pick up an "extra" week.

The pharmacist will usually tell you when the earliest refill date on each script is.

For those that are 90-day scripts, we get away with calling them in about 2 - 3 weeks before we run out.

We have been doing this for about a year and have built up quite an emergency "stockpile".

We have also compiled a list of natural plants/herbs known to combat some of her illnesses. I figure that will be better than nothing.

[edit on 18-9-2009 by lpowell0627]

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by copingwithepilepsy

Thank you SO much for the links! I'm not alone!! I have people I can talk to and ask questions of.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mortimer452
Heretic, you should be rotating out your year supply so it doesn't get old.
I assume you checked with your doctor that it's OK to store your meds for that long?

Thank you. Yes, I am rotating. I did this a little over a year ago, so I am already into the "stock" and stocking what I get every month. And it's working fine. I did talk to the doctor about exactly what I was going to do and he assured me it would be fine. I just visited the doc for a new yearly RX and blood tests and all my levels were good.

Good luck to the OP.

posted on Sep, 20 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I used to take Keppra 500mg twice daily. Made me feel like #, didn't want to do anything, eat anything just kind of sat and lost a year of my life.

I did a lot of research into the benefits of medical marijuana for epilepsy because it is legal in my state. I also looked into the benefits of a natural diet with no aspartame, because it has been known to cause seizures.

Anyways, I vaporize daily, meaning I use a device that heats my cannabis just below combustion point and it fills a bag with vapor that I inhale before I go to sleep, and when I wake up I have no myoclonic jerks nor have I had any type of seizure since going off my medication.

It works out for me because I'm also an insomniac, and my seizures are caused by lack of sleep, so it fits in very well with me, but it's true it's not for everyone.

But hey, you can grow the stuff if you have a medical recommendation, and even if you don't if it comes down to survival, it's a pretty resilient crop

top topics

join